Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Early evaluation of Geno Smith's Rookie Season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If Idzik follows suit with Seattle, he will draft a QB if it is a value pick. People forget that the Seahawks drafted Wilson in the third round after acquiring Matt Flynn to be their starting Quarterback. I don't think that Idzik is playing lip service when he says the Jets want to improve at every position and no one's job is safe. If a top 10 pick slides to the Jets at 18, Idzik will draft that player even if he's a DE, unless he can swing a favorable trade. You NEVER pass on drafting the clearly BAP if a trade is not possible.
    i don't see them taking a de in the first round this year though. idzik is no dummy, he knows the weakness of the team and will address it in the draft. i do agree that he probably will go value hunting for qbs in rounds 3-5, taking a mettenberger, murray or even a mccarron if they like a guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    If Idzik follows suit with Seattle, he will draft a QB if it is a value pick. People forget that the Seahawks drafted Wilson in the third round after acquiring Matt Flynn to be their starting Quarterback. I don't think that Idzik is playing lip service when he says the Jets want to improve at every position and no one's job is safe. If a top 10 pick slides to the Jets at 18, Idzik will draft that player even if he's a DE, unless he can swing a favorable trade. You NEVER pass on drafting the clearly BAP if a trade is not possible.
    I have to agree with this sentiment. Idzik seems (and here we are reading a lot into a single draft from his rookie season as GM) to value the picks and recognize that there are no sure bets in the draft. Thus, you throw the dice MANY times and avoid "project" players while picking up those with what you perceive to be the highest likelihood of success. QB is a special position and there is not yet enough known about Geno (despite all good signs late in the season) to skip past high value in the draft OR in free agency.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    Rex is already under contract through 2014...plus one year extension = extended through 2015.

Quote from the article...

" Jets are willing to give Ryan only a one-year extension, and that the coach is resigned to the fact that he won’t get a deal that goes beyond 2015 "

Yup, my bad. Thanks.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HardHittingJets View Post
    Very much in agreement. Geno definitely shows the desire. Yes I hope he takes the mental steps to learn the position but I didn't see anyone mention this. I want Geno to hit the gym meaning get physically stronger. I think it's important to be a more physical specimen. I remember seeing what Brady was this skinny kid out of Michigan. I think a stronger more physical Geno will help with arm stregnth, help him when running, and keep him healthy. Right now to me Geno looks frail
    agreed - there were a few times Geno tried to take off running and defenders easily stopped him with a one handed grab.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    But something I'll definitely say, he had WAY less talent around him as a rookie than Sanchez did even in his 4th season as a starter...and still looked more impressive.
    This is a ridiculous statement. Last years offensive line was much worse, as was the RB's and WR's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    agreed - there were a few times Geno tried to take off running and defenders easily stopped him with a one handed grab.
    well, in the last 4 games he rushed for 186 yards and 3 tds, so maybe he's figured something out there.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    well, in the last 4 games he rushed for 186 yards and 3 tds, so maybe he's figured something out there.
    He was just more assertive down the stretch. Taking on tacklers, you could see it down to how he was directing the backs behind the line of scrimmage. He seemed way more confident. Lets hope that holds up and builds.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenReaper View Post
    You think you are clever...but most see right through your agenda post here. Twisting people's words...shading it to towards meaning something different to what they were really trying to point out. You want to jump at anything and funnel it into Rex negativity. Even when it's obviously your twisting words out of context...away from their original meaning and thoughts of a poster.

The team is made up of a collective whole and it's individual parts. Which means a collective personality and individual personalties. And traits too. The makeup of the individual is what was being pointed out here by Sonny Werblin. That Geno's is a hard working and competitive person. He was that before he was drafted. And those hard working traits are a positive addition to the Jets collective whole as a team.

Post-fail 4 u.
    Hey I've learned from the best - JI , for over a year I've been reading post after post thread after thread where Sanchez was accused of everything from being the worst QB in NFL history to causing the SARS virus. What's good for our starting QB is good for our DC masquerading as a HC. Show me one starting rookie QB who isn't hardworking, I'll agree Geno made strides as the year went on but to claim one of his best assets is to work hard is a ludicrous statement.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Aero View Post
    Did Rex sneak into your house and rape you? Was he having an affair with your old lady? Did he bully you in high school? Did Rex piss on your grandfather's grave?

Because whatever your problem is, it's not about football or coaching acumen.

Your just jelly, jelly over what? Idk, but you sound like the girl in high school who lost her crush to the popular girl.
    Did Sanchez sneak into your house and steal your GF. It was ok for JI nation to completely trash and attack our starting QB , but now when posters here go after the HC its sacreligious . I just can't believe how two sided this board is , its like society today where everyone has to agree with everyone or the PC police come after you.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    BS a thousand times! Suckchez never had the ability to make anyone around him better. The kid gives us hope! The kid played with two other rookie starters! Sucky didn't. Sucky had a better OL then Geno had and it all starts there! The kid with less talent and much less experience won two more games then our 4 year starter! Are you for real?
    There's no way last years offensive talent was better than this years . Your letting you Sanchez agenda cloud your objectiveness.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Did Sanchez sneak into your house and steal your GF. It was ok for JI nation to completely trash and attack our starting QB , but now when posters here go after the HC its sacreligious . I just can't believe how two sided this board is , its like society today where everyone has to agree with everyone or the PC police come after you.
    Sanchez at the time was a HUGE problem.......and there were no more excuses as a 4 year starter....he deserved every bit of venom spat in his direction..

Rex is not the problem here....he has his shortcomings....but overall he's a positive influence on the team and the team rallies around him.....unfortunately for you, Woody and Idzik agree...

LOL most of Rex's worse critics on this board have no problem with how Idzik handled the situation...Hell even freaking SAR has no problem with the move...but you choose to find ways to tell anyone with a ear how much you hate Rex LOL....

No one is saying that you have to like Rex, or like the decision that Idzik made, but your snide, backhanded comments about Rex makes you look like a whiny, sandy vagina....that's all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think anyone is saying you have to agree with everything or that you can't have opinions. It's just that when 90% of fans, the owner, the GM and the players all point at a blue sky and tell you it's blue, you shouldn't keep screaming that it's orange.

I haven't met one person who thinks Rex Ryan is the perfect head coach, that he's the best head coach in the NFL. What I have seen is a large, educated, and general consensus that he's a very good coach and that he's EARNED the continued privilege of being the head coach of the Jets by dragging a rookie QB and a weak offensive roster to an 8-8 season while beating Tom Brady and Drew Brees along the way. Again, no one is saying that Rex is Vince Lombardi but he has NFL coaching pedigree and would find himself sitting on multiple job offers if the Jets showed him the door. And, I wouldn't limit those offers to just Defensive Coordinator positions. Like Bill Belichick, Pete Carroll, etc. Rex would find himself as a HC in this league again pretty quickly.

Just my two cents.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I saw this stat on NFL Live last night, but over the last 4 weeks, Geno Smith had the second highest QBR (behind Peyton) in the league.

I think having Ivory become more of a threat in the running game, opened up avenues for Geno to run, and throw. And Kerley being there helped as well. If we can surround Geno with some real talent at WR this offseason, and with the improvement that most QBs show in their second year, we could actually have a pretty good offense next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Win4ever View Post
    I saw this stat on NFL Live last night, but over the last 4 weeks, Geno Smith had the second highest QBR (behind Peyton) in the league.

I think having Ivory become more of a threat in the running game, opened up avenues for Geno to run, and throw. And Kerley being there helped as well. If we can surround Geno with some real talent at WR this offseason, and with the improvement that most QBs show in their second year, we could actually have a pretty good offense next year.
    4TD passes, 2 INTs and an 80+ QB Rating over those 4 games. And in his last two games, 20 rushes for 92 yards and 2 TDs. The only loss in those 4 games was to Carolina on the road, the NFC's #2 seed. Not a bad final quarter of the season for the rookie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

imagine how the offense could run if they got marquis lee and devonte adams. give me speed.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

NOW THATS A STAT!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    We've all seen Geno Smith for 16 games. I think now it's safe to start talking about what we have in Geno and what we can expect from him moving forward. Curious to know what you all think of him now that the season is over. Do you expect to see him start next season? Should we bring in Competition into training camp?

Personally I think Geno has all of the tools and flashed them in perfect circumstances(clean pocket, receivers running good routes). He can throw the ball on the rope and has mediocre to good accuracy when he steps into his throws. His mechanics need tons of work and Geno has been downright abysmal at times this season, very careless in taking care of the ball, not going through his progressions, sailing a lot of throws, and underthrowing a lot of deep balls due to poor mechanics. He's also displayed down right terrible decision making this season....usually in a spot where he feels like he has to make something happen and presses.....Geno had an avg start to his season and flashed in some games.....after the bye his play was downright poor but responded the last 4 games of the season by taking care of the football, exhibiting better decision making, and using his legs more(after admitting to forcing himself to stay in the pocket).....

A big thing that makes me intrigued by Geno's development moving forward is his moxie. I think he has that "it" factor to play and deliver in NY. He's a hard worker, he's answered every challenge of adversity he's faced this season, and above all he's a competitor with multiple game winning drives this season. I know he will work extremely hard this off-season and we will see a much more controlled and improved Geno in year 2.....I still think we need to bring in some competition to training camp, preferably in the form of a Vet FA signing......I do think Geno will be ready to earn the job in next year's training camp....
    +1 I agree a thousand times over!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's no way last years offensive talent was better than this years . Your letting you Sanchez agenda cloud your objectiveness.
    Unlike you I am a Jets fan and want the best for the team. My "clouded" objectiveness is reality. Sanchez is NOT the QB of the future for any NFL team regardless of what you say.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go elsewhere if you do not like it! That is the adult thing to do!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

By any objective measure Geno's rookie season was better than Sanchez' rookie season as well as last year. In fact the only season that Mark actually clearly outplayed Geno in QBR is 2010. I am hoping that with Rex finally admitting that being too conservative with the offense hurting Geno, another offseason and work with the system and upgraded weapons that Geno could have a huge jump in performance next year.