Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm Good With The Rex Ryan Decision

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Good With The Rex Ryan Decision

Rex did a good job with the team this year, got them to over-perform my expectations and did so under the tremendous pressure of a new GM, the loss of his coaching staff, 14 new starters, endless media speculation, and a slump that could have led to a quitting locker room.

Most importantly, the young players responded to Rex and thrived under his direction. The key to a rebuild is a coach that young players respond to. It's the biggest win of the season IMHO. Both the vets and rookies rallied for Rex, really nice feel to the end of an otherwise forgettable season.

As such, I think the extra year and extension is a very good decision by Woody Johnson. We are still a rebuilding team, we have 50% of the roster left to churn, and giving what is basically another improve-or-remove season to a team that won't have high expectations is smart. And with a little drafting luck and a few free agents, might be able to get a wildcard next year which will be a good experience for the youngsters. And if it doesn't pan out, if we aren't headed in a positive direction next season we can move on without much financial harm.

I could go on about Rex's downsides as a gameday sideline coach, gameplanner, disciplinarian, and all the issues with penalties and lack of preparation after the bye but that's not important right now. What matters is that the veterans are responding and the youngsters are learning and thriving. If when we're ready to be a serious division title threat a year or two down the road Rex hasn't figured out corrective measures for his weaknesses, we're set up to be a very attractive landing for a very qualified candidate.

Good job Jets, good job Rex.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you're saying he's not quite Herm Edwards just yet?

Cute apology letter though. You're ready to come back and play nice?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    inb4 10 pages

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok... Who are you and what have you done with SAR?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also wanted Rex out last season but agree with you now. Im on board with giving Rex one more year. Use this cap space and picks to load up on talent and make a playoff push

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Rex did a good job with the team this year, got them to over-perform my expectations and did so under the tremendous pressure of a new GM, the loss of his coaching staff, 14 new starters, endless media speculation, and a slump that could have led to a quitting locker room.

Most importantly, the young players responded to Rex and thrived under his direction. The key to a rebuild is a coach that young players respond to. It's the biggest win of the season IMHO. Both the vets and rookies rallied for Rex, really nice feel to the end of an otherwise forgettable season.

As such, I think the extra year and extension is a very good decision by Woody Johnson. We are still a rebuilding team, we have 50% of the roster left to churn, and giving what is basically another improve-or-remove season to a team that won't have high expectations is smart. And with a little drafting luck and a few free agents, might be able to get a wildcard next year which will be a good experience for the youngsters. And if it doesn't pan out, if we aren't headed in a positive direction next season we can move on without much financial harm.

I could go on about Rex's downsides as a gameday sideline coach, gameplanner, disciplinarian, and all the issues with penalties and lack of preparation after the bye but that's not important right now. What matters is that the veterans are responding and the youngsters are learning and thriving. If when we're ready to be a serious division title threat a year or two down the road Rex hasn't figured out corrective measures for his weaknesses, we're set up to be a very attractive landing for a very qualified candidate.

SAR I
    Welcome to the board! You'll quickly see that we entertain all sorts of opinions here. It's generally a positive experience, because most of the obnoxious dicks seem to have gon......heyyyyyyy, waaait a minit......

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    As TV has taught us, no villian can have a happy ending. Fireman ED is still the Mad Hatter and Sar is still, well you know.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    There goes the neighborhood

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by McGinley View Post
    LMAO

/endthread

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaT View Post
    As TV has taught us, no villian can have a happy ending. Fireman ED is still the Mad Hatter and Sar is still, well you know.
    A recurring hemorrhoid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    SAR does the best 180's... He pretends it's a 180 but read carefully and you'll see that it's disguised and will eventually wind up as a 360...

Basically, if Rex fails next season, we'll get the same I told you so's and the I was right for years shtick...

If Rex succeeds, he'll point to this thread and cite his change or heart and that he fully believed in Woody/Idzik's decision making.

SAR is a man who requires a tube of super glue because his guns have never been sticky...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    Welcome to the board! You'll quickly see that we entertain all sorts of opinions here. It's generally a positive experience, because most of the obnoxious dicks seem to have gon......heyyyyyyy, waaait a minit......
    Welcome back SAR, hey shakin don't worry they're still plenty o'dicks on the board.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I erased original post, too preachy.
    Last edited by LSJF; 12-31-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Too preachy

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The board is whole again, welcome back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    Agree with most of this. Welcome back. Nice to see that you left one of your 8 bedrooms to post again.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    So does this mean that Pocket whatever and all the other aliases killing Rex are on board too? You were saying only Rex, this team and some fans could be happy with 8-8 just this morning.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shakin318 View Post
    I see what you did there.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you've come to eat some well deserved crow too....let's not sweep your 4 win prediction under the rug now....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    SAR does the best 180's... He pretends it's a 180 but read carefully and you'll see that it's disguised and will eventually wind up as a 360...

Basically, if Rex fails next season, we'll get the same I told you so's and the I was right for years shtick...

If Rex succeeds, he'll point to this thread and cite his change or heart and that he fully believed in Woody/Idzik's decision making.

SAR is a man who requires a tube of super glue because his guns have never been sticky...
    gotta give the man credit for having all of his bases covered....Attention seeking know it all's have to be right about everything you know....