Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wilson is history

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Key thing before you talk about cutting a guy - do we already have a more capable replacement (or at least an equally as capable, but cheaper, one)? Saving $1m - $2m cap room may sound great, but if you've got nothing else at the position you put yourself in a hole straight away, which can cost you more to get out of.

Now I noticed I saw Trufant on the field a lot more against Miami, presumably because Wilson was hurt. I like Trufant as a player, glad he stuck around after getting injured. Would he be a viable #3 if we did jettison Wilson? I know he's a bit older. Berry is a name I see a lot, but he's been hurt and hasn't played in a long time, not a gamble I'd look to take. Who have we got after that - Darrin Walls? Ellis Lankster? Can they play nickel better than Wilson?

Wilson may not ever amount to more than he is right now, but what he is seems to work OK. We have many, many bigger holes on this team.
    Trufant is a very good player, but he's like 5'4". If the other team has a mini slot guy Trufant is all over him (Even Welker), but he just cannot physically match up with an average size receiver. On the other hand you have Walls, and Lankster who cannot play the slot. Berry was penciled in for that role, but was injured. We can pick up a nickel corner in the draft/FA/Berry. We can also cut Wilson, and resign him to a more reasonable contract.

I like Wilson in his role. He's a physical corner, probably the best tackler in the secondary, and plays his nickelback role well right now.

His is not a linear corner - like Cromartie (opposite), and can't turn his head to see when the ball is coming. He hasn't progressed in that area, which keeps him on the slot receiver, TE and more valuable vs the run.

His first round pick status elevates expectation, of which he has fallen short of. Had he been a 4th round pick, he'd be an overachiever.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    From overthecap.com

Great analysis:

Kyle Wilson should earn an escalator in his contract that increases his salary to slightly over $3 million which
    may be a bit steep for a player whose upside is nothing more than a nickel corner. The Jets could opt for
    a low cost extension or an outright release of the former first round pick. Nothing is guaranteed in his
    contract so they could wait things out with him since salary cap space would not appear to be tight.

http://overthecap.com/wp-content/upl...ial-Report.pdf
    oh, I thought you were stating that the Jets already cut him. Post title is very misleading. how about "Why Wilson should be history" or something to that effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's still pretty crazy when a rookie CB basically matches his 4 year production in a matter of two weeks.
    yes.

Jets cut wilson....Wilson signs with pats and plays great...Same jets fans that wanted him cut will want Idzik fired for letting Wilson go.

Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    From overthecap.com

Great analysis:

Kyle Wilson should earn an escalator in his contract that increases his salary to slightly over $3 million which
    may be a bit steep for a player whose upside is nothing more than a nickel corner. The Jets could opt for
    a low cost extension or an outright release of the former first round pick. Nothing is guaranteed in his
    contract so they could wait things out with him since salary cap space would not appear to be tight.

http://overthecap.com/wp-content/upl...ial-Report.pdf
    You basically start 3 corners nowadays so there is no longer "nothing more than a nickel corner." I'm not a huge fan of WIlson but a nickel corner is starting in this league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Jets cut wilson....Wilson signs with pats and plays great...Same jets fans that wanted him cut will want Idzik fired for letting Wilson go.
    I've heard this about so many former Jets it's ridiculous.

Half of this board was petrified that guys like Chris Baker, LaMont Jordan and Victor Hobson would flourish in New England and they didn't end up doing dick.

Half of this board was petrified that guys like Chris Baker, LaMont Jordan and Victor Hobson would flourish in New England and they didn't end up doing dick.
    And out of the huge amount of guys we've let go where the idiots say they are going to kill us, the only one who's done remotely anything is Woodhead. And they can't stop bringing him up despite the fact that he's only a nice player who's played for some excellent QB's.

We still see threads about Cotchery and there were people jumping off rooftops because Lowery played well in Jacksonville for a couple of years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    And out of the huge amount of guys we've let go where the idiots say they are going to kill us, the only one who's done remotely anything is Woodhead. And they can't stop bringing him up despite the fact that he's only a nice player who's played for some excellent QB's.
    What stings with Woodhead is that we let him go in order to keep Joe McKnight and save face for the draft. That said, these things happen and more often than not the players who get away do not become stars in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    What stings with Woodhead is that we let him go in order to keep Joe McKnight and save face for the draft. That said, these things happen and more often than not the players who get away do not become stars in the league.
    They kept McKnight because he had more upside. He was faster and more athletic.

It didn't work out...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Oy vey. Victo Cruz says hello and it was goodbye to the 2011 season. Honorable mention to Cro on that play too.
    Try this year DDNY.....2013. He played pretty good the last 6-7 games. Problem is, he was drafted in the first round, and so everyone thinks he needs to be Darrell Revis. He is a good Nickle corner, but do we want to spend that much on a nickel corner; that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Try this year DDNY.....2013. He played pretty good the last 6-7 games. Problem is, he was drafted in the first round, and so everyone thinks he needs to be Darrell Revis. He is a good Nickle corner, but do we want to spend that much on a nickel corner; that is the question.
    Nickel corners are starters in this league so I'd personally be fine with giving money to 3 corners. The question comes down to whether Wilson is OK at that number, of do we go ahead and draft someone else.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I like Wilson in his role. He's a physical corner, probably the best tackler in the secondary, and plays his nickelback role well right now.

His is not a linear corner - like Cromartie (opposite), and can't turn his head to see when the ball is coming. He hasn't progressed in that area, which keeps him on the slot receiver, TE and more valuable vs the run.

His first round pick status elevates expectation, of which he has fallen short of. Had he been a 4th round pick, he'd be an overachiever.
    this, mostly. He makes some nice stops on 3rd downs, but then gets burned by not turning his head or giving too much space in coverage.

but I'd keep him until someone better came along

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    this, mostly. He makes some nice stops on 3rd downs, but then gets burned by not turning his head or giving too much space in coverage.

but I'd keep him until someone better came along
    they should be able to find a cb who can turn his head occasionally. this flaw combined with penalties over the years makes him a below average nickel. like stephen hill, you have to hang your hat on something. what's your advantage? with hill, he has bad hands, can't run routes and is often injured. with wilson, he get burned too much, doesn't turn his head and gets stupid penalties. they can find a jag to do what he does.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    Key thing before you talk about cutting a guy - do we already have a more capable replacement (or at least an equally as capable, but cheaper, one)? Saving $1m - $2m cap room may sound great, but if you've got nothing else at the position you put yourself in a hole straight away, which can cost you more to get out of.

Now I noticed I saw Trufant on the field a lot more against Miami, presumably because Wilson was hurt. I like Trufant as a player, glad he stuck around after getting injured. Would he be a viable #3 if we did jettison Wilson? I know he's a bit older. Berry is a name I see a lot, but he's been hurt and hasn't played in a long time, not a gamble I'd look to take. Who have we got after that - Darrin Walls? Ellis Lankster? Can they play nickel better than Wilson?

Wilson may not ever amount to more than he is right now, but what he is seems to work OK. We have many, many bigger holes on this team.

I must say, Lankster and Walls seem to be up for the tasks they're given. Interested in those two.

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastOffensive View Post
    I must say, Lankster and Walls seem to be up for the tasks they're given. Interested in those two.
    there's rarely a play where you say to yourself, wow, wilson made a nice play there. when he's involved in a play that went incomplete i usually say to myself, whew, his head wasn't turned around but they dodged a bullet there.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    I have a hard time getting excited about a player showing improvement over a six game period in his fourth year. I expect him to play well, I do not expect him to be Revis. I do expect a first round pick to be a starting CB and I understand that the nickel back is basically a starter so to be more clear I expect him to be a #1 or #2 corner for us. I have never been excited about this player and as much as Milliner struggled this year I feel better about him than I ever felt about Wilson.

I am for bringing him back this year for the sake of continuity. We have a lot of cap room and even though he will be overpriced I do not think it will hamstring us.

All Pro

Nobody wants to step on Brady's turf.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I do expect a first round pick to be a starting CB and I understand that the nickel back is basically a starter so to be more clear I expect him to be a #1 or #2 corner for us
    Less 1st round CBs end up starting than you might expect.

2012: Claiborne - backup, Kirkpatrick - backup
    2011: Peterson - stud starter, Amukamura - starter but JAG, Jimmy Smith - starter
    2010: Wilson - nickel, McCourty - now a Safety, Robinson - IR
    2009: Jenkins - Now a Safety, Davis - starter for different team

So from those four years, not counting Wilson, we have two converted to Safety, 2 backups, 1 starter who was traded for a low second round pick, one who is on IR, and three starters of which one is at best average. Not exactly a firestorm of talent.