Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: If the Bucs cut Revis, do the Jets pursue him?

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I do think it would certainly annoy him and I'm sure he'd be PO's but I just think it's wrong to say the Jets would not sign anyone with S&F. The Jets need to do what's best for the Jets and can't make this stuff personal.

Plus I think a lot of Revis is on Revis and his uncle, while the agents are just doing what the client asked.

I can certainly see them not signing anyone more nephews of Sean Gilbert though :-)
    Well the Jets are certinally making it personal by saying they won't deal with these agents at all.Can you see the Yankees saying we're not dealing w Boris anymore,rediculas. This could backfire oneday there may be a player Woody & Idzik are in luv w that's under them & they may not take the JETS call cause of that stupid statement!

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Long Suffering Jets Fan View Post
    This is just ridiculous. Not even worth commenting.
    Then don't comment then !

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGeek View Post
    IMO, Revis is all about the money. Here is my scenario for him being cut from the Bucs:

1. He will shop himself around the league for his Bucs salary.
    2. He will shop himself around the league for a reduced salary (similar to Jets offer last year).
    3. Someone (Idzik??) will offer him a salary at or below his value.
    4. A bidding war erupts and it either:
      1. Stays within reason and Idzik wins
      2. Goes beyond the true value of the best CB in the league and Idzik drops out.
    5. Balance is restored to the force
    That pretty much cuts through it all, the rest is just a bunch of guys talking on a website.

Quote Originally Posted by joiseyjet View Post
    Well the Jets are certinally making it personal by saying they won't deal with these agents at all.Can you see the Yankees saying we're not dealing w Boris anymore,rediculas. This could backfire oneday there may be a player Woody & Idzik are in luv w that's under them & they may not take the JETS call cause of that stupid statement!
    The Yankees have passed on certain prospects in the draft because the player chose a certain agent. Forgot the agents name. So yeah, "real" teams do stuff like this and I am OK with it. Let other agents know that if they act a certain way it won't be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    The Yankees have passed on certain prospects in the draft because the player chose a certain agent. Forgot the agents name. So yeah, "real" teams do stuff like this and I am OK with it. Let other agents know that if they act a certain way it won't be tolerated.
    +1 Exactly.

& For the Billionth time If your stupid owner refuses to bring in the Top players at key positions, This team will never Win with Woody as a owner. & if he doesn't want to give his tenants the Top product he has no right to charge them top dollar! SELL NOW WOODY PLEASE!
    I don't think that's remotely true. Woody has been willing to sign in the past. Honestly, they haven't had any other clients that the Jets were in a position to buy (unless you consider Rob Turner one)... Their only other top clients are Roddy White and Vincent Jackson. Jets weren't in a position to sign Vincent Jackson, and White hasn't been a free agent.

The idea that Woody isn't willing to "spend money on top talent" is false on its face. It may not have worked out, but the Jets were cerftainly willing to sign Santonio Holmes and Cromartie top deals that were top 10 at their position.

Yes,but no more then 11 mil. per.year.& no more then 3 years.
    exactly what i would do...exactly...33 mil...2 yrs guaranteed...

Yes. Any notion that he burned bridges here or we burned bridges with him is crazy talk. We treated him will even let him in on why we where trading him. Let him skip camp and paid him twice for playing last year. There is no reason at all to think he wouldnt want to come back to NY. As far as Woody he loved Revis 16 mil was just too much. Only 2 teams where willing to trade for him and TB was the only one willing to even give up a 2nd much less a 1st. It was a good price for a player that wanted more then we could give. I dont think Revis will be getting 16 mil again. he will hit the market and see no team will give him more the 12-13 mil. Which we would pay that for Cro this year if he didnt **** the bed. I could without a doubt see the JETS offering 13 and being in the mix. If he wants to come back I do believe the option will be there.

I know it wont / cant happen but if a contract snafu occurred in Andrew Luck's contract allowing him to become a FA and his agents are the same as Revis the Jets wouldn't go after him? Really?

Interesting to note that other than Roddy White, the only other players represented by Schwartz & Feinsod with any type of name recognition and/or performance based leverage, play for a team that just fired their lead negotiator.

With Mark Dominik gone, I guess we'll see this offseason if other GMs are willing to get in the ring with these two agents.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes. Any notion that he burned bridges here or we burned bridges with him is crazy talk. We treated him will even let him in on why we where trading him. Let him skip camp and paid him twice for playing last year. There is no reason at all to think he wouldnt want to come back to NY. As far as Woody he loved Revis 16 mil was just too much. Only 2 teams where willing to trade for him and TB was the only one willing to even give up a 2nd much less a 1st. It was a good price for a player that wanted more then we could give. I dont think Revis will be getting 16 mil again. he will hit the market and see no team will give him more the 12-13 mil. Which we would pay that for Cro this year if he didnt **** the bed. I could without a doubt see the JETS offering 13 and being in the mix. If he wants to come back I do believe the option will be there.
    I don't think anyone here is saying he is worth 16 million,but that you determine during negotiations.To say you won't negotiate w "ANY" player under those agents can't be whats best for a team in the long run. Bottom line is now,he's not here & most likely not coming back ,so kill this thread already.

The reported hiring of Lovie Smith by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has led to immediate speculation about the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis with the team. However, there are two critical issues to recognize.

First, of the $16 million that Revis is owed each season over the next five years, $3 million is tied to the offseason. According to the contract, Revis receives $1.5 million on the third day of the league year each season (that will be March 14 this year) and receives another $1.5 million for participating in the offseason workout program.

In addition, the Buccaneers already have it written into the contract that they can convert any or all of the remaining $13 million in base salary to signing bonus in order to reduce Revisí cap number and spread the cost of his contract over the remaining years.

If the Bucs are going to make a move to get rid of Revis, they will have to do it early and would do it despite having the ability to easily reduce his contract by a significant amount in the short-term.

Second, and perhaps just as important from a psychological standpoint, the move to trade for Revis last offseason was done with the Glazer family fully on board, multiple sources have said repeatedly. The move was not simply done at the behest of former coach Greg Schiano and General Manager Mark Dominik, who were fired Monday.

In other words, even if Smith believes he doesnít need Revis, he will have to prove to ownership why itís a good idea to dump a player after one season when the team just traded a first-round pick and a third-round pick for the player less than a year ago.

Thatís to say nothing of the idea that Smith may view Revis the same way many other teams view him Ö as the best cornerback in football right now.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ce=twitterfeed

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    The reported hiring of Lovie Smith by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers has led to immediate speculation about the future of cornerback Darrelle Revis with the team. However, there are two critical issues to recognize.

First, of the $16 million that Revis is owed each season over the next five years, $3 million is tied to the offseason. According to the contract, Revis receives $1.5 million on the third day of the league year each season (that will be March 14 this year) and receives another $1.5 million for participating in the offseason workout program.

In addition, the Buccaneers already have it written into the contract that they can convert any or all of the remaining $13 million in base salary to signing bonus in order to reduce Revis’ cap number and spread the cost of his contract over the remaining years.

If the Bucs are going to make a move to get rid of Revis, they will have to do it early and would do it despite having the ability to easily reduce his contract by a significant amount in the short-term.

Second, and perhaps just as important from a psychological standpoint, the move to trade for Revis last offseason was done with the Glazer family fully on board, multiple sources have said repeatedly. The move was not simply done at the behest of former coach Greg Schiano and General Manager Mark Dominik, who were fired Monday.

In other words, even if Smith believes he doesn’t need Revis, he will have to prove to ownership why it’s a good idea to dump a player after one season when the team just traded a first-round pick and a third-round pick for the player less than a year ago.

That’s to say nothing of the idea that Smith may view Revis the same way many other teams view him … as the best cornerback in football right now.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...ce=twitterfeed
    It's an interesting situation... Revis does not fit Lovie's scheme at all, but he wouldnt' be bad in it specifically for the reason that he can tackle and he's still great with the ball in the air.

But if the owners are big reasons why Revis is there then it's likely that Revis is going nowhere, especially in the short term while he's still playing very well.

Cromartie stays at a reduced price and possibly reduced role. He was't bad enough to be a 3rd CB. Having him as a nickel would be a luxury. What other team's nickel CB situation is better? I'm not sure...

Veteran
    There is nothing wrong with wishing this happened but the fact of the matter is while we do have a solid amount of cap space there is absolutely no reason to make a serious upgrade at the CB position in the way of spending 12-14m a year for a player on defense. I like Revis as a player as much as everyone and with the defensive front we have now I have no doubt that with the addition of Revis we would be a top 5 defense. That said, we really need to substantially increase the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

If the Bucs did something really stupid like release him, wouldn't it be the worst thing in the world if the Pats offer him the world to come?

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    There is nothing wrong with wishing this happened but the fact of the matter is while we do have a solid amount of cap space there is absolutely no reason to make a serious upgrade at the CB position in the way of spending 12-14m a year for a player on defense. I like Revis as a player as much as everyone and with the defensive front we have now I have no doubt that with the addition of Revis we would be a top 5 defense. That said, we really need to substantially increase the talent on the offensive side of the ball.

If the Bucs did something really stupid like release him, wouldn't it be the worst thing in the world if the Pats offer him the world to come?
    Yes! that would be the worst outcome of this situation!

if Rex is coaching for his life, he'd be more inclined to push really hard for Revis. i don't think its outside the realm of possibility that, should he be released, he's offered a 3 or 4 year deal here. obviously they'd never sign him for 16 mil or even 13 mil. but if he'd accept 10-12 (unlikely, i know) then why not? we're at least 3 years away from needing big money for a QB contract. our best players are all on their rookie deals, and will be for a few more years. we can easily afford Revis for 3 years of a 4 year deal. i say why the hell not.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrance Ly View Post
    Cromartie stays at a reduced price and possibly reduced role. He was't bad enough to be a 3rd CB. Having him as a nickel would be a luxury. What other team's nickel CB situation is better? I'm not sure...
    Cromartie would be a terrible nickel corner. Imagine him trying to cover Welker, it would never happen. He is too big of a man to play inside. Cromartie should be released. He had a terrible year and has a huge cap number next year but with a huge cap savings if they cut him. Plus he's going to require surgery on his hip which is not a good thing. Let's move on and bring a guy like Shields in to play opposite Milliner. I also think the Jets will extend Wilson this off-season at a real reasonable deal and he will be the nickel corner for the next 4 years and average depth on the outside if one of our starting CB's go down. That's what I would do anyway.

Can't imagine Revis ever playing for the Green and White again... Nephew met him down in Tampa prior to start of season.. he didn't have many kind words to say about Rex and the Jets.... I don't think Woody would ever want to open his wallet for Revis again... Clearly doesn't want to deal with his Agents... I loved Revis as a player... could not ask for more of a player.... if he got cut. he would be guy to go to team willing to pay him the highest and biggest contract.....

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan51 View Post
    Can't imagine Revis ever playing for the Green and White again... Nephew met him down in Tampa prior to start of season.. he didn't have many kind words to say about Rex and the Jets.... I don't think Woody would ever want to open his wallet for Revis again... Clearly doesn't want to deal with his Agents... I loved Revis as a player... could not ask for more of a player.... if he got cut. he would be guy to go to team willing to pay him the highest and biggest contract.....
    And what if he shocked you & called Rex and said tell Woody I am getting released here and I'd like to come back 11mil. 3 years & 2 guaranteed. Your telling me Woody won't talk to his guys to close the deal?
    Last edited by joiseyjet; 01-02-2014 at 10:58 PM.