Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Richardsom Defensive Rookie of the year by PFT...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Richardsom Defensive Rookie of the year by PFT...

Jets defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson recently declared himself to be the defensive rookie of the year.

We’re not inclined to tell him he’s wrong. And so Richardson is the 2013 PFT defensive rookie of the year.

Drafted with the first-round pick acquired from the Buccaneers for Darrelle Revis, Richardson has emerged as one of the best young defensive linemen in the NFL. Richardson started 15 games, appeared in all sixteen, and notched 3.5 quarterback sacks.

He also pulled a Refrigerator Perry, carrying the ball enough times this season to create a Jerome Bettis late-career single-game stat line: four attempts, four yards, two touchdowns.

The other finalists were Bills linebacker Kiko Alonso, who started 16 games, made 159 tackles, picked off four passes, and notched two sacks; Panthers defensive lineman Star Lotulelei, who started 16 games and helped make a good defense in Carolina even better; Cardinals defensive back Tyrann Mathieu, whose stellar first season was cut short by a torn ACL; Saints safety Kenny Vaccaro, who started 14 games before breaking an ankle; and 49ers safety Eric Reid, who started 16 games and helped the team turn the page on the Dashon Goldson era.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...e-of-the-year/

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow...PFT chooses the DROY!
    They're moving up in the world...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charles Woodson in 1998 was the last CB who was NFL DROY. The rest were LBs mostly and a few DL.

That's a little bit of evidence that CB is one of the hardest positions to adapt to coming from college to the NFL.

DL is the same, to a lesser degree, IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Gesture by PFT and our young stud Shel Rich had a monster season, but Kiko Alonso wins the real DROY Award....

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Nice Gesture by PFT and our young stud Shel Rich had a monster season, but Kiko Alonso wins the real DROY Award....
    I'd say many of Alonso's tackles were 5 yards down the field. not trying to take away from what he did, but S-Rich was disruptive and changed plays and series in games. Alonso was more consistent. I'd go Richardson, but that's just me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Alonzo's play fell off a cliff over the last quarter of the season.

Tons of Bills fans on the Buffalo message boards were even saying that Sheldon should win it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I'd say many of Alonso's tackles were 5 yards down the field. not trying to take away from what he did, but S-Rich was disruptive and changed plays and series in games. Alonso was more consistent. I'd go Richardson, but that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Alonzo's play fell off a cliff over the last quarter of the season.

Tons of Bills fans on the Buffalo message boards were even saying that Sheldon should win it.
    Nah I'm with you guys....if I had a vote it would go to Shel Rich...I'm just expecting the NFL to be dicks about it LOL

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sheldon would go #1 overall in a do-over.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah I'm with you guys....if I had a vote it would go to Shel Rich...I'm just expecting the NFL to be dicks about it LOL
    Probably.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. Kiko's stats were inflated because there are no other players on their D making a difference. Look back to Harris's first season when he was making 20+ tackles a game.

Ask 32 GMs who they would rather have, Richardson or Kiko, and I have a hard time thinking any of them would want Kiko.

Hall Of Fame
    Founding JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats,Sheldon ,Keep it up next season!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats Sheldon...more awards are sure to be coming your way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richardson should get it for just that one play where he ran down Cam Newton.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Charles Woodson in 1998 was the last CB who was NFL DROY. The rest were LBs mostly and a few DL.

That's a little bit of evidence that CB is one of the hardest positions to adapt to coming from college to the NFL.

DL is the same, to a lesser degree, IMO.
    Ronnie Lott made All Pro in 81 as a rookie CB he didn't switch to safety till 85-86..

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    Richardson should get it for just that one play where he ran down Cam Newton.
    That was awesome!!
    I couldn't believe he caught up to him like that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Ronnie Lott made All Pro in 81 as a rookie CB he didn't switch to safety till 85-86..
    I think in this era, it's even harder since if you fart on the field you're flagged with PI.

Lott played in an era when the rules governed a football game, not like today's rules that govern twiddlydinks. At least in the passing game.

A guy like Marino - his record that was broken (passing yards and TDs) is more impressive than Manning's just because of the time frame that he played in.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I think in this era, it's even harder since if you fart on the field you're flagged with PI.

Lott played in an era when the rules governed a football game, not like today's rules that govern twiddlydinks. At least in the passing game.

A guy like Marino - his record that was broken (passing yards and TDs) is more impressive than Manning's just because of the time frame that he played in.
    Plus I don't remember Marino ever having a Toon,Walker and Mickey Shuler combo his 2 best W/R's Clayton and Duper were short at 5'9 each.. Man what Marino could have done with the Jets and he would have had a running game with freeman..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lagarette Blunt just ran for 187 yards! Where was Kiko?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman Harris View Post
    Sheldon would go #1 overall in a do-over.
    Absolutely. he was consistent all season long.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He played a lot in all preseason games- never hit the rookie wall