Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: jairus byrd

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    And how has that worked out exactly? Look at what the FA CBs got last year and tell me the position isnt being devalued.
    CB's are getting paid more than ever... What are you talking about?

I think Byrd is the kind of Safety that tilts the field. But it's really a question of what teams are willing to pay him. Being the highest paid safety in the league would not make his cap hit onerous. Plus he's 27, so he'll probably get a deal with a hefty salary in the final year to allow him to say he is the highest paid safety but give the team the freedom to cut/renegotiate in his latter years. I think the Jets should make a run at him to see where it leads.

Here is what the most recent high profile Safeties have signed for. It should be noted that the highest paid safety is Eric Berry. He was the 5th pick in the 2010 draft and his deal was made prior to the current rookie pay scale. So, I think every team will disregard Berry's contract in negotiations. There are just too many factors that make it an outlyer.

Eric Berry 2010 6yrs/$50 million -- $8.3 million average salary -- $25 million guaranteed

Antrelle Rolle 2010 5yrs/$37 -- $7.4 average -- $15 guaranteed

LaRon Landry 2013 4yrs/$24 million -- $6.0 average -- $11 guaranteed

Donte Whitmer 2011 3yrs/$11.75 -- $3.9 average -- $4.0 guaranteed

Michael Griffin 2012 5yrs/$35 -- 7.0 average -- $11.5 guaranteed

Troy Polamalu 2011 4yrs/$36 -- $9.125 average -- 10.5 guaranteed

I would estimate that Byrd will come in around 5 yrs/ $45 million -- $9 milliion average -- $15 guaranteed looking something like this:

YEAR BASE S. BONUS MISC. CAP HIT
    2010 8,000,000 2,500,000 500,000 11,000,000
    2011 7,000,000 2,500,000 500,000 10,000,000
    2012 3,000,000 2,500,000 500,000 6,000,000
    2013 3,000,000 2,500,000 500,000 6,000,000
    2014 9,000,000 2,500,000 500,000 12,000,000

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.

And he'll get over 10 mill a year average.

It's just not worth it despite him being a good player.
    No, it was pretty clear but whatever.

Safety isn't as important as other positions and the NFL essentially agrees.
    Your original point was pretty clear, and blatantly wrong. That was what people were disagreeing with.

All Pro

jairus byrd

The guy is one of the best playmakers on defense in the NFL today. Would love to sign him

Your original point was pretty clear, and blatantly wrong. That was what people were disagreeing with.
    I'm not going to spell out every little detail in every post, some things have to be assumed. THe comment was clearly relative to the other positions, which is why in your first response, you brought up another position.

Obviously all 11 positions on defense have SOME impact against the run. Some more than others, safeties clearly minimal compared to some of those other spots.

If anyone wants to see how little safeties mean, pick a safety to watch for the NFL Draft (as I do because it's a dumb hobby of mine) and try to determine whether he's good or not. Then choose a pass rusher, or DT and see how many plays you end up caring about in regards to the safety. EVERY SINGLE play you can get an idea of what a player is at those other positions, when it comes to the safety position, they are very often out of the TV screen and not making a direct impact on the play.
    Last edited by jetsfan1983; 01-02-2014 at 10:52 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    CB's are getting paid more than ever... What are you talking about?
    Look at the whole market for CBs, look at what free agent corners signed for last year. Brent Grimes signed a 1 year deal for 5 million, Talib signed a 1 year deal for 5 million. The days of CBs making 15- 16 million dollars is over, Revis, Nmandi, Champ Bailey, those contracts are gone. The need to have more than one good CB on a team has brought down the top value of corners.

Safety is a big need for us and Byrd is worth every penny he will get.

I would be happy with one of the top 2-3 safeties available but would love to see byrd in Jet Green.

I'm not going to spell out every little detail in every post, some things have to be assumed. THe comment was clearly relative to the other positions, which is why in your first response, you brought up another position.

Obviously all 11 positions on defense have SOME impact against the run. Some more than others, safeties clearly minimal compared to some of those other spots.

If anyone wants to see how little safeties mean, pick a safety to watch for the NFL Draft (as I do because it's a dumb hobby of mine) and try to determine whether he's good or not. Then choose a pass rusher, or DT and see how many plays you end up caring about in regards to the safety. EVERY SINGLE play you can get an idea of what a player is at those other positions, when it comes to the safety position, they are very often out of the TV screen and not making a direct impact on the play.
    I disagree from an impact stand point as to the current Jets. This is an area of glaring weakness and Byrd is probably the best free safety in the NFL. He fixes the most (and maybe only) weakness of the Jets D.... the long ball and turnovers. His abilities also frees the Jets to use the SS more in a run support role. While an all-pro FS is not a necessity to win, having one puts a D over the top as far as being Elite.

Look at the whole market for CBs, look at what free agent corners signed for last year. Brent Grimes signed a 1 year deal for 5 million, Talib signed a 1 year deal for 5 million. The days of CBs making 15- 16 million dollars is over, Revis, Nmandi, Champ Bailey, those contracts are gone. The need to have more than one good CB on a team has brought down the top value of corners.
    You do realize grimes was coming off a torn Achilles and talib was coming off a suspension and had big issues in Tampa right? Sherman is going to get a huge contract

Hall Of Fame
    You do realize grimes was coming off a torn Achilles and talib was coming off a suspension and had big issues in Tampa right? Sherman is going to get a huge contract
    So what is huge? Again, the position as a whole has been devalued of late. Teams need more than one great CB to be competitive.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 01-02-2014 at 12:15 PM.

So what is huge? Again, the position as a whole has been devalued of late. Teams need more than one great CB to be competitive.
    75M at least... Shutdown CB's are a premium position

Hall Of Fame
    75M at least... Shutdown CB's are a premium position
    LOL..ok, how much guaranteed? signing bonus? years?

Don't judge a position's value by how hard it is to track them on a TV angle. For a safety, they impact not only the throws towards their area but also the throws that aren't made. Same goes for CB. Just because you don't see that on TV doesn't mean its unimportant.

LOL..ok, how much guaranteed? signing bonus? years?
    I'm not a GM dude.... How about you give us examples of your theory instead of telling us that an injured CB got paid $5M last year. The bucs gave a first and a third so they could pay revis $96M. What planet do you live on?
    Last edited by cant wait; 01-02-2014 at 12:39 PM.

All Pro
    There are a couple of reasons why the Jets will take a Long and hard look at Byrd:

- They are familiar with him due to him being in the same Division.
    - He fills obvious Needs, mostly he helps in the area that were considered the biggest weaknesses of the Jets D (turnovers and deep ball coverage).
    - We lose Ed Reed and when you ask me, Dawan Landry was no more than a stopgap either. Problem is he has a contract next year and Antonio Allen has to be the starter.

Signing Ed Reed in midseason and all our Problems giving up deep passes is a certain sign that the Jets consider the safety Position unsettled.

Sherman's contract will average 12 mill at the very least...

Hall Of Fame
    I'm not a GM dude.... How about you give us examples of your theory instead of telling us that an injured CB got paid $5M last year. The bucs gave a first and a third so they could pay revis $96M. What planet do you live on?
    ONE player. Again, for the hundredth time the CB position as a whole has been devalued. And the Revis example probably proves my point the best. We will see what happens with the Revis deal, I would be very surprised if Tampa keeps him at that price.

ONE player. Again, for the hundredth time the CB position as a whole has been devalued. And the Revis example probably proves my point the best. We will see what happens with the Revis deal, I would be very surprised if Tampa keeps him at that price.
    So you cant actually prove your theory... Let me guess you "just know it" right? Even when all the evidence in the league says otherwise... Very impressive analysis

Hall Of Fame
    So you cant actually prove your theory... Let me guess you "just know it" right? Even when all the evidence in the league says otherwise... Very impressive analysis
    You really dont have a clue. Go back and read any analysis of the free agent market from last season and you will see how teams have devalued the CB position. Help yourself out and do some research on this, you may actually learn something and be able have a logical debate on the subject instead of just throwing a number and say "Dude I am not a GM".

The fact is that you must cheap out at some positions given this stupid ****ing salary cap...

So when you look at a roster, you must go to each spot and decide which positions you are going to try to stay near the minimums with. Our front 3 is very important and they impact every single play, so they are always worth allotting a big amount of money towards in my opinion. We've chosen to cheap out a bit at the outside linebacker spots with guys like Pace and Barnes, but I'd prefer to upgrade those spots. Inside linebacker is usually a decent spot to cheap out a bit, but we've chosen to go higher priced with Harris. In this system, corners are EXTREMELY important so you must pay them. All of that adds up to not much money left so safeties are a position to go cheaper at.
    Agree 100%