Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: jairus byrd

  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You really dont have a clue. Go back and read any analysis of the free agent market from last season and you will see how teams have devalued the CB position. Help yourself out and do some research on this, you may actually learn something and be able have a logical debate on the subject instead of just throwing a number and say "Dude I am not a GM".
    You're right, teams don't want to offer huge trade packages and $100M deals for corners anymore based on last season. No team is going to want to pay sherman either, hell maybe the browns will cut Haden because of how much he's been devalued... I'm surprised no NFL team has reached out to sec101 for a GM position... He does such a good job at pretending to be one online. Now let's go pay a safety $10M a year!

  2. #42
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    So you cant actually prove your theory... Let me guess you "just know it" right? Even when all the evidence in the league says otherwise... Very impressive analysis
    Here, I will break it down to you in very simple terms.

    You brought up Richard Sherman, Sherman is probably considered the best, or at least on of the top 3 CBs in the NFL right now, correct?

    He will be most likely signing a new deal this off season. Now do you think he is going to get the 16 million dollars a year that Nnamdi got several years ago? He isnt, and why is that? Because CBs, even "lock down" corners are not valued that high anymore. Even Revis' deal was an anomaly because he didnt get a signing bonus or any guaranteed money. Do you think Revis making almost 6 million dollars a year MORE than the next highest paid CB is good value?

  3. #43
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You're right, teams don't want to offer huge trade packages and $100M deals for corners anymore based on last season. No team is going to want to pay sherman either, hell maybe the browns will cut Haden because of how much he's been devalued... I'm surprised no NFL team has reached out to sec101 for a GM position... He does such a good job at pretending to be one online. Now let's go pay a safety $10M a year!
    Dont be mad you dont have a grasp of this, use this as a learning opportunity and try to learn something.

  4. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Here, I will break it down to you in very simple terms.

    You brought up Richard Sherman, Sherman is probably considered the best, or at least on of the top 3 CBs in the NFL right now, correct?

    He will be most likely signing a new deal this off season. Now do you think he is going to get the 16 million dollars a year that Nnamdi got several years ago? He isnt, and why is that? Because CBs, even "lock down" corners are not valued that high anymore. Even Revis' deal was an anomaly because he didnt get a signing bonus or any guaranteed money. Do you think Revis making almost 6 million dollars a year MORE than the next highest paid CB is good value?
    You do know sherman is not a free agent right? Talib and grimes are also going to get nice contracts this offseason, unless you think they are going to be further "devalued" from their 1 year/ 5M deals

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Would love to sign Byrd......for the right price that is....last I read he is looking to become the highest paid safety in football....

    He is the cover safety we need however.....
    How many games has Byrd missed over the last 3 years? Just curious. Scares me to give big contracts to injury prone players. I know he missed some games this year & hobbled out of the Pats game, which he could have been just dinged up & being a FA didn't want to play hurt?

  6. #46
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You do know sherman is not a free agent right? Talib and grimes are also going to get nice contracts this offseason, unless you think they are going to be further "devalued" from their 1 year/ 5M deals
    Yes I know Sherman isnt a FA, but he can be extended after this season. As for the rest, it is obvious the main point is being either missed or simply not understood by you.

  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Yes I know Sherman isnt a FA, but he can be extended after this season. As for the rest, it is obvious the main point is being either missed or simply not understood by you.
    You realize players that sign extensions don't get the same AAV that a free agent would right? But since he's "devalued" maybe he'll sign a 1 year/ 5M extension

  8. #48
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,729
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    You realize players that sign extensions don't get the same AAV that a free agent would right? But since he's "devalued" maybe he'll sign a 1 year/ 5M extension
    Now you are being a fool, so have fun.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Now you are being a fool, so have fun.
    No, this conversation has been devalued

  10. #50
    OK- Lets try to sign this beast! Looks like hes played all but 16 games per/year -Only 11 this year.
    22 picks!

    DEFENSIVE STATS
    SEASON TEAM GP COMB TOTAL AST SACK FF FR YDS INT YDS AVG LNG TD PD STF STFYDS KB
    2009
    BUF
    14 45 33 12 0.0 0 0 0 9 118 13 37 0 11 0 0 0
    2010
    BUF
    16 89 62 27 1.0 3 2 0 1 37 37 37 1 2 1 9 0
    2011
    BUF
    16 98 75 23 1.0 3 1 0 3 88 29 37 1 8 4 22 0
    2012
    BUF
    16 76 53 23 0.0 4 2 0 5 81 16 45 0 6 5 10 0
    2013
    BUF
    11 48 37 11 1.0 1 0 0 4 85 21 57 0 6 0 0 0
    Career 73 356 260 96 3.0 11 5 0 22 409 19 57 2 33 10 41 0

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The fact is that you must cheap out at some positions given this stupid ****ing salary cap...

    So when you look at a roster, you must go to each spot and decide which positions you are going to try to stay near the minimums with. Our front 3 is very important and they impact every single play, so they are always worth allotting a big amount of money towards in my opinion. We've chosen to cheap out a bit at the outside linebacker spots with guys like Pace and Barnes, but I'd prefer to upgrade those spots. Inside linebacker is usually a decent spot to cheap out a bit, but we've chosen to go higher priced with Harris. In this system, corners are EXTREMELY important so you must pay them. All of that adds up to not much money left so safeties are a position to go cheaper at.
    Half right. You continue to supply talent to your roster giving you the freedom to let guys walk rather than pay them, but you always should be willing to plug a gaping hole in free agency if the value is there. So you at least have to explore what the market is willing to give Byrd before dismissing the possibility of signing him especially since the market should not be willing to pay him the 10 per season he is looking for and because the Jets have the room under the cap this year to pay him.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 01-02-2014 at 06:25 PM.

  12. #52
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.

    And he'll get over 10 mill a year average.

    It's just not worth it despite him being a good player.
    I'm not saying we should sign him, but I'm very curious as to what you think a safety does.

  13. #53
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I disagree from an impact stand point as to the current Jets. This is an area of glaring weakness and Byrd is probably the best free safety in the NFL. He fixes the most (and maybe only) weakness of the Jets D.... the long ball and turnovers. His abilities also frees the Jets to use the SS more in a run support role. While an all-pro FS is not a necessity to win, having one puts a D over the top as far as being Elite.
    Run support? Safeties don't impact the run.

  14. #54
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hawthorne NJ
    Posts
    8,108
    Ed Reed played very well for us the last 3 games. In fact his play I believe had a huge impact on turning around Miliner. Reading the play, drifting towards the line, and giving him over the top support. So much for the not impacting the outside pass. I think Reed comes back very cheap for Rex. Bush, and Allen both improve, and Jarret plays the run support role. We will let Landry walk, sign one more FA, and a mid round draft pick and we will be fine.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Ed Reed played very well for us the last 3 games. In fact his play I believe had a huge impact on turning around Miliner. Reading the play, drifting towards the line, and giving him over the top support. So much for the not impacting the outside pass. I think Reed comes back very cheap for Rex. Bush, and Allen both improve, and Jarret plays the run support role. We will let Landry walk, sign one more FA, and a mid round draft pick and we will be fine.
    This is a fine alternative but it does require, as you acknowledge, that Bush and Allen both improve. It also wouldn't hurt to "hit" on a safety in the 4th round. But these are "unknowns" while Byrd is a "known".

  16. #56
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Reading, UK
    Posts
    5,549
    Having just got out of one "pay me" situation with Revis, i don't particularly want to get into another with Byrd. I'd love his talent on the team ... just concerned about his price tag. Especially when you look longer term and consider we'll be probably / hopefully be extending Mo this off-season, which will tie up quite a bit of our cap room.

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Here, I will break it down to you in very simple terms.

    You brought up Richard Sherman, Sherman is probably considered the best, or at least on of the top 3 CBs in the NFL right now, correct?

    He will be most likely signing a new deal this off season. Now do you think he is going to get the 16 million dollars a year that Nnamdi got several years ago? He isnt, and why is that? Because CBs, even "lock down" corners are not valued that high anymore. Even Revis' deal was an anomaly because he didnt get a signing bonus or any guaranteed money. Do you think Revis making almost 6 million dollars a year MORE than the next highest paid CB is good value?
    Its not just CBs - mid-tier free agents really saw their prices take a nose dive, no matter who they were. Look at the cliff avrils of the world - a top pass rusher who signed only a 2 year deal. Even looking at slauson, playing on a 1 year deal for under $1 million???

    Teams are still gonna pay the $100 million deals to pass rushers and id venture to guess they will always be overpaid, but the mid-tier guys are all going to struggle to get huge contracts.

    As for CBs - the Revis saga is going to be really really interesting and sadly the outcome will probably cost us a 3rd round pick, as I cant see Tampa being willing to not only pay that absurd salary, but also risk a 3rd round pick when they can try to re-do the deal and make it a 4th or even bit the bullet and release him. The best CBs are looking at a max of $10 million per year now, and had the raiders now completely bumbled the Asamouah deal so badly $16 million would never have even been in play

  18. #58
    Byrd is a MAJOR quality ball-player.
    By definition, that means he signs somewhere at a high salary…$7-8 Million per year minimum.
    Don't think were gonna pay that…

    BUT, just imagine our defense with a REAL safety back there!
    Imagine us with an Ed Reed-type (from 2009) ball-hawking behind our existing front seven!
    OMG!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us