Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should we go after 3-4 OLB Jason Worilds?

Should we go after 3-4 OLB Jason Worilds?

I came across this stat:https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...ons-week-17-2/

He hit more QB's than any other 3-4 OLB, if we get back Barnes and sign Worilds, plus a mix of Pace and all of a sudden our pass rush looks fearsome.

I think so. He shouldn't be too expensive and is still pretty young. Plus, he's from Rahway.

I didn't know he was a FA. I'd say he'd be a great fit on the team if he wanted to come here. Cheaper than Orakpo, and a 3-4 guy.

Had 8 sacks this past season, and he's a solid player all around.

8 sacks this year and a ton of hurries and QB hits, Worilds and Barnes would be the fastest set of linebackers in quite a long time, maybe ever, both are about the same size, 6-1 250.

Veteran
    He should be a top target free agent. Most of his career he was stuck behind Woodley and Harrison but still managed to be a playmaker when given the opportunity. He's still young and with our salary cap I'm sure we could fit him in.

He would be a very good addition. Hope Idzik can bring the NJ boy back home.

Should be a much more cost effective solution than Orakpo.

Pace isn't gettting any younger and I am still not sold on Coples as an OLB.

Jets Insider VIP
    Steelers would probably let Woodley go before Worilds.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Steelers would probably let Woodley go before Worilds.
    QFT. Why wouldn't Pitt want him back? They've a lot of aging vets on big contracts that they need to start turning over, and Pitt are usually very good at getting rid of their older guys earlier rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesR View Post
    QFT. Why wouldn't Pitt want him back? They've a lot of aging vets on big contracts that they need to start turning over, and Pitt are usually very good at getting rid of their older guys earlier rather than later.
    Pitts 100% would rather have worlids back over woodley, who apparently has been out of shape the last 2 years. The problem is they would need to eat a ton of cap space on woodleys contract to release him.

We would need some type of posion-pill type deal to force pitts into something they couldnt match.

The guy essentially did exactly what Kruger did and Kruger got around 8 mill per year.

Just comes down to whether you think Worilds is going to be worth 8 mill a year.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Pitts 100% would rather have worlids back over woodley, who apparently has been out of shape the last 2 years. The problem is they would need to eat a ton of cap space on woodleys contract to release him.

We would need some type of posion-pill type deal to force pitts into something they couldnt match.
    Worilds isn't a restricted FA...

And Pitt's cap situation isn't great by any means.

Practice Squad
    Jarvis Jones is waiting in the wings and should be alot better next year. Remember that hit on Geno in that mess of a game? Agree Worlids resigning will probably be based on what they do w/ Woodley.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/12...014-offseason/

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The guy essentially did exactly what Kruger did and Kruger got around 8 mill per year.

Just comes down to whether you think Worilds is going to be worth 8 mill a year.
    I think Kruger's value went up considerably because of how dominant he was in the postseason last year.

He was arguably Baltimore's best defensive player during that Superbowl run.

I think Worilds could realistically be brought in at $5-6 million per.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I think Kruger's value went up considerably because of how dominant he was in the postseason last year.

He was arguably Baltimore's best defensive player during that Superbowl run.

I think Worilds could realistically be brought in at $5-6 million per.
    I wish, but I really doubt it.

Kruger had an excellent postseason without a doubt, but his career is almost identical to Worilds and that is what Worilds agents are going to bring up. THey are also going to bring up his numbers rushing from the left where he was far more productive than the right, and they'll probably project those numbers over a full season. With the cap going up x percentage, that will naturally move up that percentage from Kruger's contract.

And teams have cap space too... He'll get 7 mill a year at least.

Absolutely, he is undoubtedly better at this point then any OLB we could draft in the 2-4 rounds. Because we damn well better not be picking one in rd1.

Quote Originally Posted by 56mehl56 View Post
    Absolutely, he is undoubtedly better at this point then any OLB we could draft in the 2-4 rounds. Because we damn well better not be picking one in rd1.
    I know it's not our biggest need, but if we have a guy who we think is a top talent, and he falls to 18, then I wouldn't mind taking him too much. That's how we ended up with Sheldon. Sheldon didn't fit a need, but we had him extremely highly ranked and he ended up being a good player.

Clearly we have bigger needs like at WR or TE, but it's definitely a good thing to take great players.

Jets Insider VIP
    I know it's not our biggest need, but if we have a guy who we think is a top talent, and he falls to 18, then I wouldn't mind taking him too much. That's how we ended up with Sheldon. Sheldon didn't fit a need, but we had him extremely highly ranked and he ended up being a good player.

Clearly we have bigger needs like at WR or TE, but it's definitely a good thing to take great players.
    I know where you're coming from, but at this point I'm way more focused on adding as many playmakers to the offense as possible to give Geno a legit chance to succeed than I am on adding another stud to the defense.

This defense isn't elite, but it's certainly good enough to win with.

Meanwhile we probably have the absolute worst group of skill players on offense in the league.

The thing is outside of Barr & Mack who will go top ten, there's probably no one worth reaching for at 18 , it would be too early for Shazier and Mosely by all accounts projects to an ILB .The only possibly way I can see it happening is if they traded down and took either Shazier or Mosely. I still feel strongly that the draft should be absolutey top heavy in offenseive draft picks there's too much talent at Wr & Rb to pass up this year.

Its not as easy to say that Worldis is a great player, we should get him. I undestand he is a good young player and he is also a good pass-rusher, and the elusive edge-rusher that we have lacked here, but he is not a good fit for our current team.

We have a GREAT defensive line that will only get better as they are very young. In fact, wilkerson, coples and richardson are talented enough that a 30+ year old calvin pace generated 10 sacks cleaning up from their double teams. On top of that, getting barnes back will help a lot on 3rd and long situations, we really dont need to address a true situational speed-rusher role.

The problem our LBs have is that we cant cover. We could add clowney to this group and it still wouldnt matter if the QB is gettnig rid of the ball in 2.2 seconds and dinking/dunking his way down the field. We need an OLB who can really run and help play sideline-sideline and/or cover RBs out of the backfield or even WRs on short passes. A LB with the speed to cover well can also use that speed to occasionally blitz and create opportunities to zone blitz, or run trap coverages and hopefully result in turnovers.

Worldis is nothing more then a 5th "D lineman" in this defense on first and second down and really doesnt help address the areas of weakness on our defense.