Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 58

Thread: jairus byrd

  1. #1
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    jairus byrd

    havent seen a lot of talk about him.

    if we are going to drop some cash into the market (get rid of santonio, sanchez, and re-do cro), have no issue paying him and making a division opponent weaker in the process.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=VmPVo3Fsp40

  2. #2
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bills would be insane not to re-sign him. He will get good money from someone. I doubt it's the Jets though. This is the offseason of offense for Idzik.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.

    And he'll get over 10 mill a year average.

    It's just not worth it despite him being a good player.

  4. #4
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.

    And he'll get over 10 mill a year average.

    It's just not worth it despite him being a good player.
    i dont agree. i think a safety i Rex Ryan system is a huge position for almost any time of a play you call on D.

    sounds like buffalo doesnt want to pay him.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,047
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Bills would be insane not to re-sign him. He will get good money from someone. I doubt it's the Jets though. This is the offseason of offense for Idzik.
    who are they getting on offense in FA? i think they are going heavy offense in the draft...but i dont see who they are brining in via FA.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.

    And he'll get over 10 mill a year average.

    It's just not worth it despite him being a good player.

    Really? The safety position is becoming more important and more impactful than CBs. A good safety can impact all of those aspects you mentioned.

  7. #7
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i dont agree. i think a safety i Rex Ryan system is a huge position for almost any time of a play you call on D.

    sounds like buffalo doesnt want to pay him.
    The fact is that you must cheap out at some positions given this stupid ****ing salary cap...

    So when you look at a roster, you must go to each spot and decide which positions you are going to try to stay near the minimums with. Our front 3 is very important and they impact every single play, so they are always worth allotting a big amount of money towards in my opinion. We've chosen to cheap out a bit at the outside linebacker spots with guys like Pace and Barnes, but I'd prefer to upgrade those spots. Inside linebacker is usually a decent spot to cheap out a bit, but we've chosen to go higher priced with Harris. In this system, corners are EXTREMELY important so you must pay them. All of that adds up to not much money left so safeties are a position to go cheaper at.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    He's a safety... Which means he doesn't impact running plays and he doesn't impact short passing plays, and he doesn't impact passing plays to the outsides.
    LOL... Wut?


  9. #9
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Really? The safety position is becoming more important and more impactful than CBs. A good safety can impact all of those aspects you mentioned.
    The market proves everything. THere is a reason that the safety position gets paid near the least on average in the NFL. Clearly the rest of the league agrees that safety just isn't as important as the other positions on defense.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    812
    Post Thanks / Like

    Talking could Kris Richards of SeaHawks be our next DC...?

    = Richard having his fingerprints all over all the good things the Seahawks’ secondary is doing. The Seahawks rank second in the league is average passing yards allowed (190.6) and interceptions (11), and also have held opposing quarterbacks to the second-lowest passer rating (66.1) in the NFL.

    “Kris is doing an incredible job,” Carroll said. “And he’s coaching one of the best groups around. He’s shown that he relates to them really well. He’s very demanding. And he’s at the cutting edge of what’s going on.”

    ... what would we do with Dennis Thurman... ?

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcat View Post
    LOL... Wut?

    Is it that hard to understand?

    Do yourself a favor and watch a game where you specifically follow a safety. Every year I do the same thing when it comes to the draft and watching safeties is beyond tedious. There are so many plays I have to sit there and watch of a game that are useless in getting a read on a safety because there are so few plays where they are a factor.

    In the typical world, a safety is lined up many yards off the line of scrimmage. IN that same general world, the front 7 is making the plays against the run and the safety doesn't factor in. Also think about how many passing plays where a safety is actually even in the same realm as where the ball went to.


    Again, this doesn't mean the safety position means nothing, it just means that the safety position means less than most of the other positions on defense. And in a world where you have a salary cap, I'd rather pay less to the position that means less.


    You can even go to profootballfocus. There is a reason that the front 7 guys have much higher or lower ratings compared to the safeties. Safeties just impact fewer plays so they can't generate a positive or negative number.

  12. #12
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    9,475
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Is it that hard to understand?

    Do yourself a favor and watch a game where you specifically follow a safety. Every year I do the same thing when it comes to the draft and watching safeties is beyond tedious. There are so many plays I have to sit there and watch of a game that are useless in getting a read on a safety because there are so few plays where they are a factor.

    In the typical world, a safety is lined up many yards off the line of scrimmage. IN that same general world, the front 7 is making the plays against the run and the safety doesn't factor in. Also think about how many passing plays where a safety is actually even in the same realm as where the ball went to.


    Again, this doesn't mean the safety position means nothing, it just means that the safety position means less than most of the other positions on defense. And in a world where you have a salary cap, I'd rather pay less to the position that means less.
    what you wrote in the post is just plain wrong. Safeties do play an important role in the run game and in the short passing game. Dumb post from that perspective. I don't necessarily disagree with you about the proportion of salary cap a team should devote to the position, but your stated reasons re: run/pass game are just wrong.

  13. #13
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The market proves everything. THere is a reason that the safety position gets paid near the least on average in the NFL. Clearly the rest of the league agrees that safety just isn't as important as the other positions on defense.
    Corners have been consistently de-valued over the last few seasons, while safeties have seen a steady increase in salary. The fact you think safeties do not influence the running game, short passing game or passes to the outside of the field makes me think you do not even watch football games.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,198
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    who are they getting on offense in FA? i think they are going heavy offense in the draft...but i dont see who they are brining in via FA.
    I agree. That is why I could see us going after Byrd or another safety in free agency. We really need a playmaking safety for this defense to start getting more turnovers. I think it would be worth the investment to get a guy that can go make plays on the ball. Having Ed Reed back there, even at 50% of his old self, made a huge difference in getting some turnovers. A guy like Byrd could be huge for this D.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Corners have been consistently de-valued over the last few seasons, while safeties have seen a steady increase in salary. The fact you think safeties do not influence the running game, short passing game or passes to the outside of the field makes me think you do not even watch football games.
    Ugh...

    It's like banging your head against the wall.


    Again.... The numbers prove it, the rest of the NFL agrees with it. It's nice that you think differently, but it's just not correct.

    ANd it's all relative, when I say that they impact the game less, it's in comparison to the rest of the defensive positions. And the fact of the matter is that safeties do impact it less.


    As I said before, go to PFF and just look at their rating system. THere is a reason that front 7 guys have much higher or lower ratings than the safety position. The safety position just isn't a factor on enough plays. Corner isn't much higher either, but corner still menas a bit more.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    6,181
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to sign Byrd......for the right price that is....last I read he is looking to become the highest paid safety in football....

    He is the cover safety we need however.....

  17. #17
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Ugh...

    It's like banging your head against the wall.


    Again.... The numbers prove it, the rest of the NFL agrees with it. It's nice that you think differently, but it's just not correct.

    ANd it's all relative, when I say that they impact the game less, it's in comparison to the rest of the defensive positions. And the fact of the matter is that safeties do impact it less.


    As I said before, go to PFF and just look at their rating system. THere is a reason that front 7 guys have much higher or lower ratings than the safety position. The safety position just isn't a factor on enough plays. Corner isn't much higher either, but corner still menas a bit more.
    You need to learn how to make your point then, because what you wrote earlier was flat out wrong. Plus like I said the salary gap between corners and safeties has been closing in recent years due the increased importance of the position.

  18. #18
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,887
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Corners have been consistently de-valued over the last few seasons, while safeties have seen a steady increase in salary. The fact you think safeties do not influence the running game, short passing game or passes to the outside of the field makes me think you do not even watch football games.
    How much did revis get again? $50M for Brandon Carr? Yeah corners are really getting devalued...

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    You need to learn how to make your point then, because what you wrote earlier was flat out wrong. Plus like I said the salary gap between corners and safeties has been closing in recent years due the increased importance of the position.
    No, it was pretty clear but whatever.

    Safety isn't as important as other positions and the NFL essentially agrees.

  20. #20
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,675
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    How much did revis get again? $50M for Brandon Carr? Yeah corners are really getting devalued...
    And how has that worked out exactly? Look at what the FA CBs got last year and tell me the position isnt being devalued.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us