Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Dee Milliner comes back to win defensive rookie of month

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,749
    Post Thanks / Like

    Dee Milliner comes back to win defensive rookie of month


  2. #2
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    6,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats to Dee. Looks he is starting to justify his draft position.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    6,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice. He earned it.

    Dee had a target on his back all season, and he handled it well. He showed terrific improvement the final few games and looks like a quality CB prospect now. He's only going to keep getting better.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    So the in Idzik's first draft, he took Sheldon Richardson (Defensive Rookie of the year candidate) and Dee Milliner (Defensive rookie of the month/Defensive player of the week- week 17). Too bad he is just a weak puppet of Rex......

  5. #5
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    2,120
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great news. There's no doubt that he turned a corner this season, going from being completely lost to not being a liability to becoming pretty good.

  6. #6
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by shevys View Post
    Great news. There's no doubt that he turned a corner this season, going from being completely lost to not being a liability to becoming pretty good.
    back to back months of Jets defensive rookies of the month.

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,585
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's really some great news. I had this guy dead in the water, along with many others. Glad to see him pull his **** together and make somewhat of a decently productive season.

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Nice. He earned it.

    Dee had a target on his back all season, and he handled it well. He showed terrific improvement the final few games and looks like a quality CB prospect now. He's only going to keep getting better.
    like with coples you have to wonder how much of the struggles were simply due to not being near full health for a while.

  9. #9
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,124
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    like with coples you have to wonder how much of the struggles were simply due to not being near full health for a while.
    Once Dee was healthy for a good stretch he improved a lot. Between holding out and being injured early on, it pushed back his development a few months.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    like with coples you have to wonder how much of the struggles were simply due to not being near full health for a while.
    Coples - injury, position change, overshadowed by a ridiculous DL - ended season as a really disruptive presence in the front 7
    Milliner - injury, very difficult positional learning curve, missed most or all of offseason/TC programs - ended season as a real headache for #1 receivers

    both players received far too much fire from fans this season. they'll both be entering their second years in their respective roles in the defense, and both will look a lot better. now we just have to hope that we have a formidable CB opposite Milliner, and a healthy Barnes/newbie opposite Coples

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,517
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Coples - injury, position change, overshadowed by a ridiculous DL - ended season as a really disruptive presence in the front 7
    Milliner - injury, very difficult positional learning curve, missed most or all of offseason/TC programs - ended season as a real headache for #1 receivers

    both players received far too much fire from fans this season. they'll both be entering their second years in their respective roles in the defense, and both will look a lot better. now we just have to hope that we have a formidable CB opposite Milliner, and a healthy Barnes/newbie opposite Coples
    the talent on defense really is encouraging, and makes you wonder how many of picks in the first 4 rounds will be used on that side, esp. if they keep cro at a lower salary.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    South Bound Brook
    Posts
    1,763
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm happy to see that Dee is making some strides. He's been picked on all year and has been aweful. Its good to see that he is making QBs pay for constantly picking on him. He still has a LONG way to go, but at least he's showed signs of being a viable starter.

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,406
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    like with coples you have to wonder how much of the struggles were simply due to not being near full health for a while.
    Maybe a little, I just think he had trouble adjusting to the NFL. It's hard for CBs to adjust at that level. Some CBs play great as rookies, most do not (though most are better than Milliner was for the first 3/4 of the season). Labeling any rookie a "bust" is stupid for this reason alone, but people act like a player's talent level and success level are static even during one season. Rookies, for the most part, should improve as the season goes on. (I'd argue QBs are a little different, but Geno Smith finished strong, so that's good), Milliner finished the last quarter very strong (post-benching against Raiders) and that's a great sign. Even Revis wasn't REVIS in his rookie season. But despite what a few people on the board said, Milliner closed well by being matched up against Josh Gordon and Mike Wallace. Basically, if there are people who aren't happy with how Milliner closed the season, then there's nothing he could have done to end the season, since he played his last 2 games like a top 10 CB (Note: I'm not saying he is a top 10, just that he played like one for the last 2 games of the season)

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    6,512
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well deserved! You'd have to be really stupid to call him a bust!!

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,662
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the talent on defense really is encouraging, and makes you wonder how many of picks in the first 4 rounds will be used on that side, esp. if they keep cro at a lower salary.
    i'd have to think that at least one will be used on D. simply put, despite our NFL-best DL (arguably) and blossoming CB, the LB's need a lot of work (especially ILB... we could legitimately use 3 new starters) and the rest of the secondary is a potential train wreck. OLB, ILB, CB, and S are all still possibilities in the first four rounds depending on how FA goes. that said, like most Jets fans, i'd love if the first four rounds netted us a WR, TE, and some maybe 'non-positionally-descript playmaker' in addition to whatever D talent

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are the Jets last 4 first round picks:

    Wilkerson
    Coples
    Milliner
    Richardson

    True, they are all defense and we need to go offense this time, but they aren't bad

  17. #17
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    6,835
    Post Thanks / Like
    I blame Ed.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    3,026
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Here are the Jets last 4 first round picks:

    Wilkerson
    Coples
    Milliner
    Richardson

    True, they are all defense and we need to go offense this time, but they aren't bad
    I could see each of them making a pro bowl at some point in their future. Whether Rex had a hand in these selections, its a credit to the Jets scouting department since none of these guys were top 5 picks.

    Now we just need these same scouts to do just as well picking WRs/TEs

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    L.I. NY (where the Jets used to be from)
    Posts
    13,305
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=revischrist;5115446]So the in Idzik's first draft, he took Sheldon Richardson (Defensive Rookie of the year candidate) and Dee Milliner (Defensive rookie of the month/Defensive player of the week- week 17). Too bad he is just a weak puppet of Rex......[/QUOTE]

    Who ever thought that? Certainly that was a common thought about Tannenbaum. Never saw that about Idzik.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    8,897
    Post Thanks / Like
    Over the 1st 10 games, he looked like the 2nd coming of kyle wilson. Hopefully, he keeps improving over the offseason and becomes great in 2014.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us