Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the 2013 Draft Class be one of the Jets best ever?

Jets Insider VIP

Could the 2013 Draft Class be one of the Jets best ever?

Yes, it's early and a lot depends on whether our 2nd round QB becomes the multi-year, consistent starter we're all hoping for, but this draft group is looking very, very solid right now. It's not impossible that we end up with 5 starters including 1 or 2 future Pro Bowlers here. Richardson looks like a complete stud and projects to grow into an elite interior lineman, Milliner has really had the lightbulb go on and injuries subside to the point that he's a solid CB2 and maybe becomes our #1 CB in the next couple years. Bohanon and Winters look like a solid, if unspectacular, FB and OG respectively. This leaves us with Geno Smith who has shown both franchise QB capabilities along with bust potential.

The only comparable draft I can remember is the "4 Aces" draft in 2000 when the Jets used four 1st round picks on Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and Becht. That was a very successful draft with all of them contributing, and short of injuries to Pennington, it propelled the Jets to some very successful seasons and some playoff runs in the early 2000's.

I can't help but see the potential that the 2013 draft ends up giving us a starting QB, two stud defenders, and two other solid contributors on offense. If this is the case, holy home run by Idzik, Bradway and company! Even better....we should have 10-12 more picks this year to really upgrade this roster.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-02-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Yes, it's early and a lot depends on whether our 2nd round QB becomes the multi-year, consistent starter we're all hoping for, but this draft group is looking very, very solid right now. It's not impossible that we end up with 5 starters including 1 or 2 future Pro Bowlers here. Richardson looks like a complete stud and projects to grow into an elite interior lineman, Milliner has really had the lightbulb go on and injuries subside to the point that he's a solid CB2 and maybe becomes our #1 CB in the next couple years. Bohanon and Winters look a like solid, if unspectacular, FB and OG respectively. This leaves us with Geno Smith who has shown both franchise QB capabilities along with bust potential.

The only comparable draft I can remember is the "4 Aces" draft in 2000 when the Jets used four 1st round picks on Pennington, Abraham, Ellis and Becht. That was a very successful draft with all of them contributing, and short of injuries to Pennington, it propelled the Jets to some very successful seasons and some playoff runs in the early 2000's.

I can't help but see the potential that the 2013 draft ends up giving us a starting QB, two stud defenders, and two other solid contributors on offense. If this is the case, holy home run by Idzik, Bradway and company! Even better....we should have 10-12 more picks this year to really upgrade this roster.
    Geno and Milliner will make or break this draft, but with that being said...Richardson alone will go down as one of the great picks for the jets.

I like to add Ivory to that - no he's not part of the "class," but he was brought to the team via a draft pick from that year.

If you consider Ivory, and Geno peaks at a top-15 QB, I think there's no question this is on the short list of top draft classes for this team.

All Pro
    Many of you are too young to remember but the '77 draft was probably our next best with Marvin Powell, Wesley Walker and Joe Klecko (6th round!). A draft where you nab three future pro-bowlers isn't shabby in any era and I think matches the 2000 and 2006 drafts.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    I like to add Ivory to that - no he's not part of the "class," but he was brought to the team via a draft pick from that year.

If you consider Ivory, and Geno peaks at a top-15 QB, I think there's no question this is on the short list of top draft classes for this team.
    That could mean 4 starters on offense and 2 on defense from one draft class which is pretty impressive. We'll see if Winters and Bohanon turn out to be hold-the-fort guys until we upgrade those spots but for now they're contributing.

Idzik and Rex have squeezed a LOT of snaps of out of this draft class. I can imagine another team getting more plays out of its draft class this year. Geno, Richardson, Milliner, Bohanon and Winters all played a lot.

Jets Insider VIP
    We thought the same thing about the '06 class. Give it a few more years and let it play out.

All if it comes down to Geno... The first GM to actually find that franchise QB will be owner of the best draft class ever when it comes to this franchise.

Sheldon is great and Dee may get there, but Geno determines the success. QB is everything

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    We thought the same thing about the '06 class. Give it a few more years and let it play out.
    But the '06 class was a good one. If you look at just three years later in '09 and '10, many of those guys were key figures in two consecutive AFC Championship Game runs. D'Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Leon Washington all contributed during those years. Things happen (injuries to Leon, etc.) and guys don't stick around forever but I'd say we got decent mileage out of of that draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    But the '06 class was a good one. If you look at just three years later in '09 and '10, many of those guys were key figures in two consecutive AFC Championship Game runs. D'Brick, Mangold, Brad Smith, Eric Smith, Leon Washington all contributed during those years. Things happen (injuries to Leon, etc.) and guys don't stick around forever but I'd say we got decent mileage out of of that draft.
    Agreed, but see jetsfan1983's post. True great draft classes are dictated by quarterbacks. If Geno blossoms into a franchise QB, then you could definitely argue 2013's class was one of, if not the Jets' best ever.

All Pro
    Two pro-bowl caliber starting OL, a pro-bowl scatback/PR and two other serviceable players stands as a very good draft even without the QB IMO.

Houston also had a nice draft that year (from the #1 slot of course). Mario Williams, Demeco Ryans and Owen Daniels
    Last edited by nycdan; 01-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.

I agree. When people look back at the past 3 years [2011-present], many forget that after our 2nd AFCG appearance we had 17/18 FA IIRC? That did play a role in our depleted squad for the next 2 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    Agreed, but see jetsfan1983's post. True great draft classes are dictated by quarterbacks. If Geno blossoms into a franchise QB, then you could definitely argue 2013's class was one of, if not the Jets' best ever.
    I think you can have a great draft even if you don't find a starting QB. Remember, that '06 draft included Kellen Clemens who didn't pan out for the Jets. But I'd still argue that it was a very good, foundational type draft for the Jets.

That being said, I do think a horrible draft can be rescued if it produces a franchise QB. You could waste 6 picks but if you snagged a 10-year franchise QB in that draft then it's a success in my book.

only time will tell. by the end of next season we'll have a better idea. all four top picks ended the season on a really great upswing. if that trend continues, then yes, this draft netted us five good starters. two or three of whom with pro bowl potential. hopefully one of Aboushi/Campbell can really turn it on and compete for a starting job, not just rotational roles. it's far too early to call anyone a success or bust. if one thing's for sure, though, Richardson looks like he could be elite. and one elite player in a draft is pretty good.

Just imagine if Campbell turns into a Brandon Moore type. Same situation with Campbell going from defense to offense. Teams don't even try this stuff unless your a large athletic freak.
    Word on Campbell is that he's very powerful, quiet, with a mean streak between the lines.
    Those quiet guys that turn it on when they play & get nasty are usually great finds.

Just imagine if Campbell turns into a Brandon Moore type. Same situation with Campbell going from defense to offense. Teams don't even try this stuff unless your a large athletic freak.
    Word on Campbell is that he's very powerful, quiet, with a mean streak between the lines.
    Those quiet guys that turn it on when they play & get nasty are usually great finds.

Jets Insider VIP
    Yes, its the best draft class man has ever seen.

We got a run stuffer, a corner who was so bad he was benched twice during the year, a qb who had one of the worst season a starting qb ever had in nfl history, and tommy bohanon.

Geez.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post

We got a run stuffer, a corner who was so bad he was benched twice during the year, a qb who had one of the worst season a starting qb ever had in nfl history, and tommy bohanon.

Geez.
    lol...holy smokes! Who pissed in your cornflakes today?

Did you see that Dee Milliner was named Defensive Rookie of the Month? Not a month at the beginning of the season, but the last month of the season.

And how about 7 TDs and 2 INTs with a 80+ QB Rating over the final 4 games for Geno Smith? 3 of those 4 being wins.

Yes, it's early and a lot depends on whether our 2nd round QB becomes the multi-year, consistent starter we're all hoping for, but this draft group is looking very, very solid right now. It's not impossible that we end up with 5 starters including 1 or 2 future Pro Bowlers here. Richardson looks like a complete stud and projects to grow into an elite interior lineman, Milliner has really had the lightbulb go on and injuries subside to the point that he's a solid CB2 and maybe becomes our #1 CB in the next couple years. Bohanon and Winters look like a solid, if unspectacular, FB and OG respectively. This leaves us with Geno Smith who has shown both franchise QB capabilities along with bust potential.

Like anything else, it all depends on the QB. But it'd be surprising if it'd top 2000. They drafted 5 guys who started 10 seasons or more, arguably 4 of the top 25 players (Pennington, Ellis, Abraham, Coles). Becht certainly wasn't in the same class as the other 4, but he did manage to start with the Jets and Bucs for a decade. Pennington was a great QB when healthy, just a shame it didn't work out

If this class has that much success, I'd be impressed

Geez.
    DUMP........Dump........Dump........Dumpangry-frustrated.jpg

Geez.