Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reports are linking Mangini and Tanny to Miami

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Reports are linking Mangini and Tanny to Miami

Miami is meeting with their GM and coaches today. Word is there could be some firings but it's unclear. GM and OC are on the hot seat.

Armando Salguero is reporting that if Ireland(GM) is fired, Miami could turn to Mangini and Tanny to run the team. He also said that Mangini was a thought in the past and this could really happen should Ireland be canned.

Jets Insider VIP
    lol..holy jeebus!

They're starting a process in Miami!

omg please be true.

All Pro
    I thought Mangini was looking for a GM position. What additional value could Tannenbaum bring there since he's not even a talent scout?

It's not a bad tandem, to have Mangini in charge of personnel evaluation and Tannenbaum as the cap guy.

Mangini is a terrible NFL coach but his personnel evaluation is ok (he's not perfect- after all the guy drafted Vernon Gholston). If he was strictly in the front office it would be a good thing. Philbin is also a guy who places emphasis on character - so they could mesh, in theory.

And Tannenbaum was never a true NFL GM. He was always a bean-counter who got lucky.

Tanny should be strictly a contract/cap guru, he's not a personnel guy and should never be a GM again. Would love this to happen.

All Pro
    Mangini is a good football man. Tanny can piss away cap dollars better than anyone.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    A Revis reunion in Miami?

Jets Insider VIP
    http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphi...ini-tannenbaum

Here are the most interesting Miami Dolphins stories Wednesday around the Web:

Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald reports Eric Mangini and Mike Tannenbaum are names to consider with the Dolphins.

Morning take: It would be interesting to see two former New York Jets running the Dolphins. General manager Jeff Ireland is in the hot seat, and owner Stephen Ross may be considering replacements.
    The Dolphins team site takes a look back at defensive end Olivier Vernon’s breakout season.

Morning take: Vernon was a pleasant surprise after getting 11.5 sacks as a first-year starter. Vernon solidified his spot as one of Miami’s best defensive players.

Charlie McCarthy of FoxSports.com says many questions remain with the Dolphins.

Morning take: It will be a tough offseason for Miami. The Dolphins are not expected to blow everything up. But changes will be made.
    Chris Perkins of the Sun Sentinel writes the Dolphins’ draft class did not produce.

Morning take: Kicker Caleb Sturgis was the most productive member of Miami’s rookie class. That means a lot of young players must step up their game in Year 2.

I don't like the idea of former Jet honchos in the AFC East.

The last thing we need is these guys poaching players or assistants from our team.

I'm sure Tanny would be strictly the cap guy. No way would any NFL owner other than Woody Johnson allow that guy to make football decisions. As for Mangini, he did a terrible coaching job his last year here, but he's a smart guy and I wouldn't be surprised if he did well in that job.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    It's not a bad tandem, to have Mangini in charge of personnel evaluation and Tannenbaum as the cap guy.

Mangini is a terrible NFL coach but his personnel evaluation is ok (he's not perfect- after all the guy drafted Vernon Gholston). If he was strictly in the front office it would be a good thing. Philbin is also a guy who places emphasis on character - so they could mesh, in theory.

And Tannenbaum was never a true NFL GM. He was always a bean-counter who got lucky.
    +1
    only if:
    mangini = personnel
    tanny = cap

wouldnt be a bad set up

Lol, this will really drive the Fish fans crazy. Two ex-Jets coming in to turnaround their morbid franchise. You can't make this stuff up. Think our 2 games will have extra meaning?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by James Hasty View Post
    I don't like the idea of former Jet honchos in the AFC East.

The last thing we need is these guys poaching players or assistants from our team.
    I'm not sure how much that would happen. This team has changed a lot in 5 years. It's not like there are a ton of Tanny-Mangini loyalists in terms of players or coaches on the Jets. This is Rex's team now.

All Pro
    I wonder if we can trade our practice squad for that high Cleveland pick? Why people think Mangini has a good personnel sense is beyond me. He seemed utterly pedestrian as a drafter. And I can hardly wait for his new rules in Miami... "Buehler, Buehler?"

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

They have been talking about this on Miami sports talk radio as well. First Ireland has to be fired, which is not a sure thing. But if he was let go, Mangini would be GM and Tanny the cap guy. Mangini would run the show and be in charge of personnel.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    I wonder if we can trade our practice squad for that high Cleveland pick? Why people think Mangini has a good personnel sense is beyond me. He seemed utterly pedestrian as a drafter. And I can hardly wait for his new rules in Miami... "Buehler, Buehler?"
    Regardless of how Sanchez turned out, I thought Mangini made an absolutely awful trade from the Browns perspective.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Somehow, someway, Eric Mangini has developed this reputation for being a great talent evaluator, given credit for successful drafts and the like.

I'm unsure how this happened but I find it as fascinating as I feel it's absurd. He was the head coach people.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Traitor Jay & the Woodies View Post
    Somehow, someway, Eric Mangini has developed this reputation for being a great talent evaluator, given credit for successful drafts and the like.

I'm unsure how this happened but I find it as fascinating as I feel it's absurd. He was the head coach people.
    He was also the de facto GM in Cleveland for a brief spell.

Bewildered Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Miami is meeting with their GM and coaches today. Word is there could be some firings but it's unclear. GM and OC are on the hot seat.

Armando Salguero is reporting that if Ireland(GM) is fired, Miami could turn to Mangini and Tanny to run the team. He also said that Mangini was a thought in the past and this could really happen should Ireland be canned.
    We ALL thought those two would be united down there; however, this thing is moving fast. Thanks, Locke.