Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: TEs available in Free Agency

  1. #1

    TEs available in Free Agency

    It seems like conventional wisdom is that the top 3 WRs in the draft might be gone by the time the Jets pick at 18 and we'd be better positioned to take one of the 2 stud TEs in the draft.

    Question - should one of the coveted WRs be there at 18 and we go in that direction (stranger things have happened), are there any interesting options (outside of the Graham pipedream) worth considering at TE in this years Free Agent mkt?

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ryu79 View Post
    It seems like conventional wisdom is that the top 3 WRs in the draft might be gone by the time the Jets pick at 18 and we'd be better positioned to take one of the 2 stud TEs in the draft.

    Question - should one of the coveted WRs be there at 18 and we go in that direction (stranger things have happened), are there any interesting options (outside of the Graham pipedream) worth considering at TE in this years Free Agent mkt?
    Just going by overthecap.com some FA's are Pettigrew, Fred Davis, and Dennis Pitta.

    Pettigrew I hate... The guy is so snakebit. He'll drop a bunch of balls that absolutely kill you. His blocking is nowhere near where people hoped when he came out.

    Dunno if Pitta will actually hit free agency because Flacco likes him.

    Fred Davis will hit free agency but he has the character things to worry about.

    And there is ZERO chance at Graham so hopefully nobody bothers to bring him up.

  3. #3
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    27,397
    My ideal scenario:

    Sign a WR like Decker or Maclin in free agency

    Draft Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron in Round 1 to give us a playmaking TE

    Draft another WR in Round 2 (Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc)

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,005
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Just going by overthecap.com some FA's are Pettigrew, Fred Davis, and Dennis Pitta.

    Pettigrew I hate... The guy is so snakebit. He'll drop a bunch of balls that absolutely kill you. His blocking is nowhere near where people hoped when he came out.

    Dunno if Pitta will actually hit free agency because Flacco likes him.

    Fred Davis will hit free agency but he has the character things to worry about.

    And there is ZERO chance at Graham so hopefully nobody bothers to bring him up.
    Yeh from this group I'd much rather get someone in the draft, if not one of the top 3 guys then maybe Fiedorowicz, Jensen, or Lynch later on... heck I'd rather take a flyer on Lyerla than sign a scrub like Davis at this point.

  5. #5
    Pettigrew is a decent all-around player. Just because he didn't end up being friggin all-pro like some of the draft gurus on this board swore he would doesn't mean he'd be a bad signing. We need a TE.

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,390
    We need to sign BOTH a WR and a TE during free agency. Not just to "hedge our bet" and remain flexible for whatever scenario unfolds at #18, but because we need depth at both those spots. At WR, I only see Kerley, Nelson, Hill and possibly Salas coming back. We need to sign a FA WR and draft one or two WRs as well. At TE I don't know what the future holds for Winslow but I think we should sign a TE to compliment Cumberland and draft a complete (blocking and pass catching) TE in the first 3 rounds. JMHO.

  7. #7
    Scott Chandler says Hellooo

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My ideal scenario:

    Sign a WR like Decker or Maclin in free agency

    Draft Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron in Round 1 to give us a playmaking TE

    Draft another WR in Round 2 (Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc)
    Would absolutely sign up for that scenario.

  9. #9
    Isn't Greg Olsen available this year too?

  10. #10
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Posts
    36,390
    Quote Originally Posted by jkjet View Post
    Scott Chandler says Hellooo
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Isn't Greg Olsen available this year too?
    Whoa! TEs are coming out of the woodwork now! lol

  11. #11
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    6,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My ideal scenario:

    Sign a WR like Decker or Maclin in free agency

    Draft Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron in Round 1 to give us a playmaking TE

    Draft another WR in Round 2 (Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc)
    Add my name to this list. By drafting Amaro, and there is a GREAT chance we will have the pick of the two, and going later in the draft for a WR, would have two solid 2a type receivers. No real No. 1 threat, but with, say, Maclin and Davante Adams, to go along with Nelson, Kerley, and if Hill ever reached a degree of his potential, that is a pretty solid receiving corp.

  12. #12
    Garret Graham from The Texans would likely come pretty cheaply and they have both him and owen daniels as free agents.

    He is young (4th year) and is 6'3 243lbs but is a good receiver. Likely wont ever be a top 10 TE, but is a vast upgrade over what we have here. Would be ideal to have him and a rookie like amaro as 1 and 2 TEs.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    Isn't Greg Olsen available this year too?
    Word out of Carolina is that there is no way the Panthers let Olsen hit the open market. They have nothing at WR except Smith, and he's on his last legs. Olsen is easily their most important weapon in the passing game.

    I don't know if Chandler is guy to look at closely, but I know he's had games against the Jets where he put up numbers that we have no reason to ever expect from Cumberland.

  14. #14
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    13,510
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    My ideal scenario:

    Sign a WR like Decker or Maclin in free agency

    Draft Jace Amaro or Eric Ebron in Round 1 to give us a playmaking TE

    Draft another WR in Round 2 (Odell Beckham, Jordan Matthews, Allen Robinson, Davante Adams, etc)
    I would add looking at Dexter McCluster as well. He could be effective in MM's offense and returns punts as well. He would be a huge upgrade over Cribbs.

  15. #15
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Hoboken
    Posts
    3,992

  16. #16
    I would much rather sign a guy like Chandler or G. Graham then draft a TE in the first round. We need a #1 WR BIG TIME, a guy that would be a threat to score every time he catches a ball.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Pettigrew is a decent all-around player. Just because he didn't end up being friggin all-pro like some of the draft gurus on this board swore he would doesn't mean he'd be a bad signing. We need a TE.
    Sounds like my point in another thread about Kyle Wilson

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I would add looking at Dexter McCluster as well. He could be effective in MM's offense and returns punts as well. He would be a huge upgrade over Cribbs.
    Its interesting you bring him up. i don't believe he's any bigger than D'anthony Thomas. McCluster has stayed injury free for the most part, which what concerns draftniks about Thomas.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePNYJ1 View Post
    I would much rather sign a guy like Chandler or G. Graham then draft a TE in the first round. We need a #1 WR BIG TIME, a guy that would be a threat to score every time he catches a ball.
    From Rotoworld
    Texas Tech junior TE Jace Amaro declared for the NFL Draft.
    This could be considered the first flip in terms of decisions, but Amaro is a super talented receiving target who fits exactly what the NFL wants. He finished his final game with eight catches for 112 yards against Arizona State. Our own Josh Norris has ranked Jace Amaro as the top tight end in the country since October. Tue, Dec 31, 2013 11:00:00 AM

    SOUND GOOD TO ME!

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Just going by overthecap.com some FA's are Pettigrew, Fred Davis, and Dennis Pitta.

    Pettigrew I hate... The guy is so snakebit. He'll drop a bunch of balls that absolutely kill you. His blocking is nowhere near where people hoped when he came out.

    Dunno if Pitta will actually hit free agency because Flacco likes him.

    Fred Davis will hit free agency but he has the character things to worry about.

    And there is ZERO chance at Graham so hopefully nobody bothers to bring him up.
    Somewhere, Paradis is burning you in effigy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us