Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick 3 round mock pre all-star bowl games

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick 3 round mock pre all-star bowl games

1st round) Mike Evans WR Texas A+M. I thought about the TE group but when Evans slides because of a poor time this is a no-brainer. A true #1 wideout, that I this point is realistic that he can be there. Especially if there is also a run on the OT's and QB's, which I believe there will be.

2nd round) Zach Mettenberger QB LSU. Ideally we get him in the third but I think he is gone by then. This pick is not so much giving up on Geno, but after Sanchez is released we have ZERO QB's on the roster (I don't count Simms). Mettenberger will have all year to sit on the bench since I would also bring in a cheap stopgap UFA. To me the value is to much to pass up at this point, and if it weren't for his injury he would have been gone in the first. If Geno bombs this pick will help ease the pain.

3rd round) Troy Niklas TE ND. Here is the freak we have been looking for at the position. Huge guy that snatches the ball, great blocker, explosive off the line, and can be a dominant guy in the future with some good coaching. Only reason he falls this far is because he is still a bit green to the TE position having played Oline and DE in high school. The sky is the limit with a player like this.

3rd round)Jarvis Landry WR LSU. The WR position is so deep here we have to double-dip at this point because there is going to be a run on this position sooner or later. Let's hope it's later and Landry would be a perfect compliment to Evans.

Any thoughts?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Evans makes it past the Ravens at 16, I don't see how we can pass him up - I think it would be a great pick, I am just afraid the Ravens will take him. I like Mettenberger, but in the 3rd, I think the 2nd round is a reach, especially coming off of the ACL. I like Landry in the 3rd and I definitely would like to see us double down at WR. Don't know much about Niklas, but TE is definitely a position of need.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like the double-dip at WR WAY more than spending another #2 on QB.

I'm not sold on Geno at all, but unless they think Mettenberger (or any other QB) is a "sure thing" I'd rather get somebody that'll help the team on a weekly basis and take a shot at QB later in the draft . .

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm good with double down on WR as well.

Think the QB pick is a mistake.

Don't know much about Niklas but like going TE

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    1st round) Mike Evans WR Texas A+M. I thought about the TE group but when Evans slides because of a poor time this is a no-brainer. A true #1 wideout, that I this point is realistic that he can be there. Especially if there is also a run on the OT's and QB's, which I believe there will be.

2nd round) Zach Mettenberger QB LSU. Ideally we get him in the third but I think he is gone by then. This pick is not so much giving up on Geno, but after Sanchez is released we have ZERO QB's on the roster (I don't count Simms). Mettenberger will have all year to sit on the bench since I would also bring in a cheap stopgap UFA. To me the value is to much to pass up at this point, and if it weren't for his injury he would have been gone in the first. If Geno bombs this pick will help ease the pain.

3rd round) Troy Niklas TE ND. Here is the freak we have been looking for at the position. Huge guy that snatches the ball, great blocker, explosive off the line, and can be a dominant guy in the future with some good coaching. Only reason he falls this far is because he is still a bit green to the TE position having played Oline and DE in high school. The sky is the limit with a player like this.

3rd round)Jarvis Landry WR LSU. The WR position is so deep here we have to double-dip at this point because there is going to be a run on this position sooner or later. Let's hope it's later and Landry would be a perfect compliment to Evans.

Any thoughts?

I like Mettenberger but that pick revolves around who is available… If a better TE is available you take him there and hope to pick up a QB in the 3rd...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early talk of Niklas going late 1st. Physical freak.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Conkboy View Post
    I like Mettenberger but that pick revolves around who is available… If a better TE is available you take him there and hope to pick up a QB in the 3rd...
    This would be the worst possible landing spot for Mettenburger. He needs to sit out this year. It would be a wasted pick IMO. We'd either rush him back or he'd be anther wasted roster spot on the year at QB. With so many needs we can gamble a 2nd rounder on a guy like Mettenburger. It is not his 1st knee surgery and it will not be his last.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OCCH View Post
    Like the double-dip at WR WAY more than spending another #2 on QB.

I'm not sold on Geno at all, but unless they think Mettenberger (or any other QB) is a "sure thing" I'd rather get somebody that'll help the team on a weekly basis and take a shot at QB later in the draft . .
    Idzik personally checked out Mettenberger this past season. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets drafted him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Idzik personally checked out Mettenberger this past season. Wouldn't be surprised if the Jets drafted him.
    You don't think its possible he went to see a different LSU Player? Maybe Beckham?

Is there any background on evan's character? He threw a bit of a hissy fit vs duke but just one game and I haven't watched much of him in general.

I do think we take a QB at some point in the top 3 rounds but it doesn't seem like mettenberger is a fit for the WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick 3 round mock pre all-star bowl games

Quote Originally Posted by ozu View Post
    Early talk of Niklas going late 1st. Physical freak.
    I don't know he is decent don't get me wrong.. But this isn't Eifert , Rudolph or John Carlson where talking about as far as natural football player goes... But he has great Size to Speed ratio. A little stiff if you ask me Ebron ,Amaro and Seferian-Jenkins will all go before him probably even the Kid from Iowa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scoop24; 01-12-2014 at 07:26 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not go with a qb early. What about Price or Pachall, a guy with some upside that won't cost a premium pick. If Geno falters next year Rex may be gone and the jets could have spent 2 #2 picks on qbs that the new coach does not want to go to war with. The jets have an opportunity to take a leap forward next year with the cap space and a + plus load of picks. Like the prevous posters I question Niklas going around pick 70, Look at how many teams need TE that pick after the jets in rd two. The Pats, Chiefs, Chargers, GB, Eagles, dolphins, and Ravens all have a pressing need at TE

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    I don't know he is decent don't get me wrong.. But this isn't Eifert , Rudolph or John Carlson where talking about as far as natural football player goes... But he has great Size to Speed ratio. A little stiff if you ask me Ebron ,Amaro and Seferian-Jenkins will all go before him probably even the Kid from Iowa

He is 6-7 and 275 lbs, he is not a Hernadez or and Ebron type but more of a two way player,

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post

I don't see him going in the first at all, that's why I nabbed him in the third. He doesn't have the stats and is a bit of a project but if he pans out, he'll be one hell of a player. Personally I like him better than Seferian-Jenkins long term.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    This would be the worst possible landing spot for Mettenburger. He needs to sit out this year. It would be a wasted pick IMO. We'd either rush him back or he'd be anther wasted roster spot on the year at QB. With so many needs we can gamble a 2nd rounder on a guy like Mettenburger. It is not his 1st knee surgery and it will not be his last.
    If you read my reasoning for picking Mettenberger maybe you would better understand my selection. The Jets would be the perfect landing spot for someone of his talent because there will be no pressure on him coming in and starting next year.

Geno should be the starter, bring in a vet UFA and let Mettenberger sit, learn, and heal. If Geno bombs this year then you already have a guy waiting in the wings. If Geno significantly improves his play and solidifies himself as the starter going forward, then you have a young talented back-up QB. A win-win in my book, as I don't think you can get a potential starter if you start waiting towards the third round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    You don't think its possible he went to see a different LSU Player? Maybe Beckham?

Is there any background on evan's character? He threw a bit of a hissy fit vs duke but just one game and I haven't watched much of him in general.

I do think we take a QB at some point in the top 3 rounds but it doesn't seem like mettenberger is a fit for the WCO.
    I'm curious why you think Mettenberger wouldn't be a good fit for a WCO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you read my reasoning for picking Mettenberger maybe you would better understand my selection. The Jets would be the perfect landing spot for someone of his talent because there will be no pressure on him coming in and starting next year.

Geno should be the starter, bring in a vet UFA and let Mettenberger sit, learn, and heal. If Geno bombs this year then you already have a guy waiting in the wings. If Geno significantly improves his play and solidifies himself as the starter going forward, then you have a young talented back-up QB. A win-win in my book, as I don't think you can get a potential starter if you start waiting towards the third round.
    I disagree. If we drafted him in the 2nd he would be pressured to push Geno maybe even play. He doesnt need that. This is absolutely the worst landing place for him IMO. We are expected to win next year you cant be using a 2nd rounder on a IR QB you dont intend to play. I think you could argue Minni but without a doubt IMO this is a bad landing spot for him. He should be hoping to end up in Dallas, Chicago, Zona, or KC IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like Evans as a 1st round pick. He has a hard time getting separation now, but is able to physically overpower college DBs. That's going to be a lot harder to do at the NFL level. I only see him as a situational player in the red zone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's a wasted 2nd round pick. We have too many holes to be picking a QB in the second round while still developing another QB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious why you think Mettenberger wouldn't be a good fit for a WCO.
    Hes not a guy who is known for accuracy in the short to medium range (58% comp in 2012 and 65% this year) but more of a joe flacco who is real strong in the pocket and can hit deep passes down the field with his arm strength. He also has virtually no mobility so any of the roll outs and read option plays we will be using with Geno will not translate to him.

In no way am I saying he will or won't be a good pro, but he doesnt seem like a good fit for a backup to Geno

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Hes not a guy who is known for accuracy in the short to medium range (58% comp in 2012 and 65% this year) but more of a joe flacco who is real strong in the pocket and can hit deep passes down the field with his arm strength. He also has virtually no mobility so any of the roll outs and read option plays we will be using with Geno will not translate to him.

In no way am I saying he will or won't be a good pro, but he doesnt seem like a good fit for a backup to Geno
    Thanks for the response and the reasoning behind your post and you bring up some valid concerns. This forum at least brings some meaningful discussion, unlike the main board.

My reasoning for Mettenberger is that I believe he is the best pure pocket passer in this draft. Big guy, big frame, nice release, has a cannon of an arm, and has worked in a pro offense this year under Cameron. He has improved leaps and bounds under Cameron and I like his ability to fit a ball into a tight space and IMO that is one of the most important aspects of QB play.

He's not the most mobile, as you stated, but he will tuck and run, and can roll. That's why I like him as a WCO QB and running the read option has zero to do with a WCO.