Thread: Passing Gets You to the Playoffs, but then......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Passing Gets You to the Playoffs, but then......

The two winning QB lines from yesterday:

Russel Wilson - 9 for 18, 103 yards 0 TDs - didn't turn it over

Tom Brady - 13 for 25, 198 yards 0 TDs - didn't turn int over

The more you watch these games, especially with the weather we have been having country - wide this winter, it shows that you need good QB play to get enough wins during the grind of a 16 game season to make the playoffs, but once you get there you better be able to run the football and play good defense.

Its actually somewhat similar to baseball, where a strong lineup can feast all season on mediocre pitching and get you to the post season, but once you get there, it comes down to who has the best pitchers.

I really hate "ground and pound" as I think it was more media driven (coupled with Rex's poor saviness with the press) but I do think Idzik and Rex both know how important running the ball is - we just need a QB not to derail us actually getting to the postseason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

The more you watch these games, especially with the weather we have been having country - wide this winter, it shows that you need good QB play to get enough wins during the grind of a 16 game season to make the playoffs, but once you get there you better be able to run the football and play good defense.

Its actually somewhat similar to baseball, where a strong lineup can feast all season on mediocre pitching and get you to the post season, but once you get there, it comes down to who has the best pitchers.

I really hate "ground and pound" as I think it was more media driven (coupled with Rex's poor saviness with the press) but I do think Idzik and Rex both know how important running the ball is - we just need a QB not to derail us actually getting to the postseason.
    Seattle uses it more by design, The pats used it more by necessity. With Dobsun and gronk both out and with the weather the game plan was forced on the pats.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Seattle uses it more by design, The pats used it more by necessity. With Dobsun and gronk both out and with the weather the game plan was forced on the pats.
    I despise the Pats more then any team in any sport - and the overall smugness of the fans (not speaking to you individually as I obv don't know you) drives me insane. But what they are doing this year is absolutely amazing for anyone who actually loves sports.

To constantly change their philosophy, game plan and even players and keep rolling really is a testament to team play - even if Brady is the driving force. I think they will have a tougher time with Denver scoring wise, but it will be a great game.

The jamie collins coming out party last night was pretty crazy - jet fans throw around Adalius Thomas 2.0 a lot, but collins sure looks like he can be used everywhere.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Or a recognition that the Colts were weak against the run... and you just keep running until proven otherwise, using the passing game to keep them honest. I have to say, the run blocking for the Pats was outstanding. They dominated the Colts. It was a very sharp game plan. Avoid turnovers is the mantra in the playoffs.

Re the OP's point, he's exactly right. We saw a lot of running this weekend so far on teams that are not QB challenged -- Brees, Wilson, Brady, Luck...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Forced or chosen - you still have to be able to execute it. Teams that are not one-dimensional will prevail over the course of a season as injuries mount and the weather worsens.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

we have a young, raw inexperienced QB. Why not develop him? Lack of receivers and practice time with TEs and receivers DID NOT plague Brady or Wilson. Brady has years of experience and developed his young receivers by PRACTICING with them. Our receivers were like a revolving door. Its hard to develop chemistry like that! Rex did the right thing with Ground & Pound as far as I am concerned especially with a raw QB in need of learning how to read defenses and play under center. And through all his deficiencies we were only one game from the playoffs!

What you are conveniently NOT saying is that Seattle and NE are very talented teams with excellent players while the Jets are in dire straights as far as the Offense is concerned. Did you want to mention how LUCK played last night?
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 01-12-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Or a recognition that the Colts were weak against the run... and you just keep running until proven otherwise, using the passing game to keep them honest. I have to say, the run blocking for the Pats was outstanding. They dominated the Colts. It was a very sharp game plan. Avoid turnovers is the mantra in the playoffs.

Re the OP's point, he's exactly right. We saw a lot of running this weekend so far on teams that are not QB challenged -- Brees, Wilson, Brady, Luck...
    How many INTS did Luck throw last night? LUCK's team did not run that much. We also saw a lot of running because of the weather conditions in outdoor stadiums. In NE , the Colts are known for their inability to stop the run. So why throw? In Seattle, Wilson has experienced passing problems in the last quarter of the season. His numbers have been down drastically. Carroll has a very good running game and the weather(windy) conditions were tough on passing. Why pass?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both games were played in heavy rain. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    How many INTS did Luck throw last night? LUCK's team did not run that much. We also saw a lot of running because of the weather conditions in outdoor stadiums. In NE , the Colts are known for their inability to stop the run. So why throw? In Seattle, Wilson has experienced passing problems in the last quarter of the season. His numbers have been down drastically. Carroll has a very good running game and the weather(windy) conditions were tough on passing. Why pass?
    The game was not lost due to interceptions, by any means. Obviously no turnover is good. But interceptions are often a product of pressing when you're behind and you know you can't live on field goals because the other team is scoring on you at will. The Colts were dominated, plain and simple. I don't disagree with your point, but the Pats demonstrated a very effective running attack, regardless if it was a response to weather, the Colts' weaknesses against the run, or both.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last week the narrative was you don't need running backs as no one ran for 100 yards.

This week two teams win without good numbers from QBs, and the narrative is becoming passing matters less at this stage of the playoffs.

There are a lot of ways to win or lose a football game. There's no one way, and its foolish to try to extrapolate general principles on what wins in the playoffs from one week of games. Sometimes good passing offense wins, sometimes good rushing offense, sometimes defense, sometimes special teams.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Both games were played in heavy rain. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...
    Well, two things I really noticed about yesterday's rain games...

1. It was likely due to the weather
    2. It made the games very wet

It's just what I believe. I'll debate anyone on this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Yeah, but if you are a team like the Saints that rely heavily on passing you get screwed if you don't get homefield advantage throughout or have to deal with a super bowl in in-climate weather like this year. Now, that does not mean that "ground and pound" can win a championship, but balance on offense and good defense will win it for you. When the Giants won they had good defense and a good RB with a QB along for the ride. Same with the Ravens last year. Flacco had some good games, but without that defense and Ray Rice they don't sniff the title.

And look at the Pats, in Brady's early years when he was more of a game manager, clutch big play maker they won their super bowls. When their defense faded and forgot to how to run they would get picked off in the playoffs at various stages.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't have an all world O, or D, you have to be a complete team, not all world. Sometimes a lil luck can make up for a shortcoming of the day, and more often then not the complete team wins not the team with one side of the ball that is unreal, ie. Ravens 1st, Saints only SB.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like

This is very true

Once you get to the playoffs, if you can effectively run the football and win the turnover battle you can go far. If your QB can manage the game and not turn the football over and you play great defense, you can go all the way.

In 2010, the Jets had a superbowl caliber team - in fact the 2010 Jets were very similar to the Seahawks this year. Obviously Sanchez never had Wilson's ability to extend plays but his performance in the 2010 playoffs was more than adequate.

Mark Sanchez had his best season and played extremely well during the playoffs. We could run the ball and had a great defense.

If the Jets didn't sleepwalk through almost the entire first half against Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game, we would have been in & possibly won the superbowl that year.

I think there are a lot of people around here that do not realize just how close the Jets were to going to & possibly winning the big dance - we had the team to do it in 2010, we just didn't get it done.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-12-2014 at 03:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Proves nothing.

Seattle game had hurricane conditions so both teams ran it all day.

Indy's run defense couldn't stop Kevan Barlow.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Proves nothing.

Seattle game had hurricane conditions so both teams ran it all day.
    You are actually (unknowingly) proving the point even more so.

The Patriots game was also a rainy affair which is exactly why you need to have an effective rushing offense in January, you will almost always have a sloppy weather playoff game at some point.