Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The cold, harsh truth

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Pass that joint over here.

Thank you Captain Obvious. If we had more talent we'd be better. Gee, I never realized that.
    How much worse than, say, the Baltimore Ravens are the Jets? The Ravens are only one year away from winning hte super bowl and had the same record as the Jets, and are farther up the draft than the Jets, so technically they did worse. So how unimaginable is it that Jets are closer than people think? All it takes is one more win to get in the playoffs.

This fan base sure does have an inferiority complex. Its pretty pathetic.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    How much worse than, say, the Baltimore Ravens are the Jets? The Ravens are only one year away from winning hte super bowl and had the same record as the Jets, and are farther up the draft than the Jets, so technically they did worse. So how unimaginable is it that Jets are closer than people think? All it takes is one more win to get in the playoffs.
    Though fltflo used the words "closer than many people think", after reading the complete post, I felt he was implying that we ARE close. Maybe it's just semantics.

While the Jets were much better than most predicted this season, they were still a long way from fielding a playoff caliber offense. In today's NFL that is a necessity for a good team (with a few arguable exceptions). Sorry, but while I expect an improved and serviceable offense next season, I think a good offense is probably at least 2 seasons away. Fltflo's argument is that we split the series with the Pats and have a young and improving team. To me, being close takes more than splitting the series. Additionally, our young and improving team speaks to the defensive side of the ball- not the offense. And the special teams? They need help too.

Closer than many think? Perhaps. But close? I think not.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
    Inherit the division?

The Jets have only won the division 3 times in their 54 year existence.
    And some Jets fans said it didn't matter when the Jets won the division with Herm because Herm was the coach and so what!!!

I remembering telling folks then the Jets have not been Green Bay all these years. That divisional win mattered.

In any event we have to field a balanced team before we start talking about owning or winning the division.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Though fltflo used the words "closer than many people think", after reading the complete post, I felt he was implying that we ARE close. Maybe it's just semantics.

While the Jets were much better than most predicted this season, they were still a long way from fielding a playoff caliber offense. In today's NFL that is a necessity for a good team (with a few arguable exceptions). Sorry, but while I expect an improved and serviceable offense next season, I think a good offense is probably at least 2 seasons away. Fltflo's argument is that we split the series with the Pats and have a young and improving team. To me, being close takes more than splitting the series. Additionally, our young and improving team speaks to the defensive side of the ball- not the offense. And the special teams? They need help too.

Closer than many think? Perhaps. But close? I think not.
    Well it all depends on how Geno develops now doesn't it? This will be our second year in Marty's offense. We have the defense. 7 new starters this year will only get better. We have some seriously solid talent at many key spots. Miliner just turned the corner, and Cro will be healthy, or we'll have a replacement. We can afford a solid replacement for Landry, and Pace now. All we need is a good guard, whether that become Winters or someone else. We need two WRs, and a TE. We have 12 draft picks in a very deep WR draft, and 40 million dollars. We beat the Pats, and the Saints with the worst QB WR TE combination in the league. Geno played very well the last 4 weeks. There's reason to believe he could take a big step next year. Do you think it's remotely possible that we could be closer than you think?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    So, what was the excuse in the 90s (1 div title for the Jets), 80s (0) or 70s (0)?
    They had an absentee owner. An idiot President, and an endless carousel of coaches, and a loser mentality. Many of the fans still have that same mentality, and long to return to the carousel, but the owner, now the GM, and the HC do not. We've had among the highest winning % of any team in the league the past 10 years, or more, and we still haven't found a franchise QB. Without one we field a good, competitive team. When we find even a good QB (Could become Geno) we will become a consistent contender.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Well it all depends on how Geno develops now doesn't it? This will be our second year in Marty's offense. We have the defense. 7 new starters this year will only get better. We have some seriously solid talent at many key spots. Miliner just turned the corner, and Cro will be healthy, or we'll have a replacement. We can afford a solid replacement for Landry, and Pace now. All we need is a good guard, whether that become Winters or someone else. We need two WRs, and a TE. We have 12 draft picks in a very deep WR draft, and 40 million dollars. We beat the Pats, and the Saints with the worst QB WR TE combination in the league. Geno played very well the last 4 weeks. There's reason to believe he could take a big step next year. Do you think it's remotely possible that we could be closer than you think?
    Sure it's possible... especially on defense, as you point out.

In your words, "it all depends on how Geno develops now doesn't it? All we need is a good guard, whether that become Winters or someone else. We need two WRs, and a TE." By your account, I count 5 players that we need.

Sure, we will have money and draft picks. But many variables need to fall into place. At least most of the those 5 players would have to be serviceable or better. Personally I like Geno, but he is still a question mark and far from a sure thing. Marty's offense is complex and not easy to learn and it will take time for the new players to get up to speed- and there will be many of them. Most drafted receivers take at least 2 or 3 seasons to become effective.

I am not saying we can't be good. Maybe everything falls into place and we are. I just like our chances better in 2 years.
    Last edited by Jet Blast; 01-12-2014 at 08:59 PM.

We need to draft a QB.

all of a sudden, brady respect is popping up all over ji

Quote Originally Posted by fltflo View Post
    While the Pats are the class of the division, right now, the Jets are much closer then many people think. I have much respect for the Pats, how can you not. Yet, make no mistake, the Pats have much respect for the Jets. The reason Tom hates us so much is, he knows we are going to be the team to finally dethrone them. We are one of the few teams that scares the Pats. We are currently splitting the season series with them, as the Jets, a very young and inexperienced club, grow and add talent we are going to be scary. This of course depends on them maintaining the status quo with the coaching staff and there vision for this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Brady hates the jets because they may e the best team in 3 years? How the hell does that make any sense? Brady does not like the jets because they are a division rival and there was personal insults flying from the jets team regarding him publicly and usally the coaches step in and stop the personal stuff and Rex didn't.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    Brady hates the jets because they may e the best team in 3 years? How the hell does that make any sense? Brady does not like the jets because they are a division rival and there was personal insults flying from the jets team regarding him publicly and usally the coaches step in and stop the personal stuff and Rex didn't.
    Now who is being silly. Brady's special and highly public dislike for the Jets predated Rex by a considerable margin.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    Now who is being silly. Brady's special and highly public dislike for the Jets predated Rex by a considerable margin.
    Brady's comment about hating the Jets was a shock to these ears. He wouldn't normally talk about another team or player like that. His comment came well after Ryan arrived in 2010, and most likely was in response to the personal crap that came out of Ryan and his players mouths. You must remember Ryan mocking Brady's supermodel wife by holding up a pic of his wife in a magazine, and claiming that he had a centerfold model wife too. That gem was the one that led to the release of he and his wife's foot fetish personal ad. Then there was Cromartie calling Brady an a****le. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that Papa Cro wasn't unhappy with Brady having a child out of wedlock, like some fans seem to be.

pats 1960 loves top troll I have news for you Brady is a dick sorry but most cheaters are dicks

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats1960 View Post
    Brady's comment about hating the Jets was a shock to these ears. He wouldn't normally talk about another team or player like that. His comment came well after Ryan arrived in 2010, and most likely was in response to the personal crap that came out of Ryan and his players mouths. You must remember Ryan mocking Brady's supermodel wife by holding up a pic of his wife in a magazine, and claiming that he had a centerfold model wife too. That gem was the one that led to the release of he and his wife's foot fetish personal ad. Then there was Cromartie calling Brady an a****le. I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and assume that Papa Cro wasn't unhappy with Brady having a child out of wedlock, like some fans seem to be.

How was Rex mocking Brady's wife? If anything it was a compliment to his own wife. And how exactly did that 'lead to the release of Ryan;s fetish tape? It's like you are implying the Patriots had something to do with it.

It's no secret he has a personal disdain for the Jets; I'm sure Belichick helped him fuel that hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by jetswin View Post
    Sadly that looks like me, minus the hair.

Makeup and all.

Where's my Baileys?

Quote Originally Posted by shuler82 View Post
    So it was Tom Brady who stopped us from getting to the SB in 2009 and 2010.. I never knew.
    No that was Rex's fault.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    No that was Rex's fault.
    Who's fault was it that the Pats didn't win the SB in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    Who's fault was it that the Pats didn't win the SB in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013?
    Yep, Pats really sucked that they didn't win the Super Bowl during those years.

You do realize, that over that period, the Pats have won more games than any other team in the NFL?

Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
    Yep, Pats really sucked that they didn't win the Super Bowl during those years.

You do realize, that over that period, the Pats have won more games than any other team in the NFL?
    Doesn't mean anything if you don't win the big one. Unless you're the Jets, in which case half the fanbase continues to jerk off to the memory 3 years later.