Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Four Team Observations

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Final Four Team Observations

Not to be overly simplistic....but of the four teams remaining in contention for the Super Bowl....

1) 3/4 have retread coaches who were fired from somewhere else before. Bellichick, Fox, Carroll have all been fired from one or more NFL coaching jobs.

2) None picked their quarterback with a first round/top draft pick. Peyton Manning was not picked by the Broncos-they picked Tebow, and they got rid of him after he won a first round playoff game. Kaepernick was picked with the 36th overall pick in the second round (Geno Smith with the 39th, but Kaepernick is a physical freak).

3) All have had busted high draft picks.

Achieving success in the NFL is doable. The Jets can do it with the people they have. They just need a plan and to draft well, from top to bottom.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the fact that any one of the 4 teams left have a legit chance at Winning the SB.....

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Varjet View Post
    Not to be overly simplistic....but of the four teams remaining in contention for the Super Bowl....

1) 3/4 have retread coaches who were fired from somewhere else before. Bellichick, Fox, Carroll have all been fired from one or more NFL coaching jobs.

2) None picked their quarterback with a first round/top draft pick. Peyton Manning was not picked by the Broncos-they picked Tebow, and they got rid of him after he won a first round playoff game. Kaepernick was picked with the 36th overall pick in the second round (Geno Smith with the 39th, but Kaepernick is a physical freak).

3) All have had busted high draft picks.

Achieving success in the NFL is doable. The Jets can do it with the people they have. They just need a plan and to draft well, from top to bottom.
    To be honest, can't think of the last time any of the four teams busted on a high draft pick- all four teams hit on their first rounders year and year out, showing the importance of doing so.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyM View Post
    To be honest, can't think of the last time any of the four teams busted on a high draft pick- all four teams hit on their first rounders year and year out, showing the importance of doing so.
    LOL, without doing any research and reading Varjets post you would know that the Broncos VERY recently busted on Tim Tebow. And the Patriots took Ras-I Dowling with the 1st in pick in the 2nd round in 2011. The Niners took Aj Jenkins in the first round of the 2012 draft. Jenkins had ZERO catches in his rookie year before being traded.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaron Curry, Kentwan Balmer. But obviously may good picks too. The Jets had Vernon Goulston, and the Seahawks had Curry.

The Jets can be very competitive soon. Idzik just needs to execute.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting group that is left. Two teams that favor Ryan's style of play in the 49ers and Seahawks and two that favor the "new" NFL (I realize the Pats ran well). Not sure who wins, but if I had to place a bet I would go with the Pats for one reason: they can win it at the JETS stadium. Absolutely no logic other than it would just figure that way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I like the fact that any one of the 4 teams left have a legit chance at Winning the SB.....
    That's what I love most of all. There is not going to be an overwhelming favorite or underdog in the Super Bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love that Fox is getting any credit because it's clear that Peyton is the primary reason that team is anything.

Belichick is in the same boat.

THe only impressive coach out of the bunch is Jim Harbaugh who's essentially done it with 2 different QB's.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I love that Fox is getting any credit because it's clear that Peyton is the primary reason that team is anything.

THe only impressive coach out of the bunch is Jim Harbaugh who's essentially done it with 2 different QB's.

You can hate on the Pats as much as you want but to think Belichick is not a huge reason why is ridiculous. He is the best coach in the NFL. Sucks, but it is true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure about this. I've already seen/heard several media pieces fellating Belichick for how adaptable he is for shifting from a passing attack to a power running game.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    You can hate on the Pats as much as you want but to think Belichick is not a huge reason why is ridiculous. He is the best coach in the NFL. Sucks, but it is true.
    Disagree big time...

He's a good coach, but if someone like Jeff Fisher had Brady, he'd do exactly the same that Belichick has done. I think there are some good coaches in the league like Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid, and John Fox. Even a couple more. My point is that if John Fox had Peyton Manning for his entire career, he'd have exactly the same amount of super bowls as Belichick has with Brady.

And this isn't some blind pats hatred considering I think Brady is basically top 3 all time as far as QB's go. I think more of the Pats credit goes to Brady, where some give far too much credit to the coach who happened to luck into getting him. Especially in the modern era of football, QB is everything and Brady is one of the greatest of all time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Final 4 teams in the NFL feature two former Jets coaches (Carroll, Beliboy) and the QB that got away (Manning)!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    The Final 4 teams in the NFL feature two former Jets coaches (Carroll, Beliboy) and the QB that got away (Manning)!
    And to think there were some retards around here that didn't want Manning. What a freaking joke that was.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    All 4 have great quarterbacks

We have a huge question mark at that position

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Disagree big time...

He's a good coach, but if someone like Jeff Fisher had Brady, he'd do exactly the same that Belichick has done. I think there are some good coaches in the league like Jeff Fisher, Andy Reid, and John Fox. Even a couple more. My point is that if John Fox had Peyton Manning for his entire career, he'd have exactly the same amount of super bowls as Belichick has with Brady.

And this isn't some blind pats hatred considering I think Brady is basically top 3 all time as far as QB's go. I think more of the Pats credit goes to Brady, where some give far too much credit to the coach who happened to luck into getting him. Especially in the modern era of football, QB is everything and Brady is one of the greatest of all time.
    I will agree with you about Bellichek if you can give me reasons why he won 11 games will Cassels without making dumb excuses.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    All 4 QB's got away

We had a chance to draft each of them

Jets Insider VIP
    Phoenix, AZ (New Jets Stadium Section 246)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    All 4 QB's got away

Yes, but some were by choice or poor decision. The whole league passed up on several of those guys (every single NFL team had a shot at Brady and Wilson I believe). My point is that had Manning come out of college the Jets were taking him #1....there's no doubt.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    This is usually the case. very few weak teams get to this game. Other than the JETS two years in a row.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    All 4 QB's got away

Not Manning. HE made that decision himself. The Parcells thing is a rumor

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, but some were by choice or poor decision. The whole league passed up on several of those guys (every single NFL team had a shot at Brady and Wilson I believe). My point is that had Manning come out of college the Jets were taking him #1....there's no doubt.
    That too. These weren't a Ken O'Brien-Dan Marino choice. Everybody passed them