Thread: As We Watch The WR Prospects ...

All League

As We Watch The WR Prospects ...

Be careful not to get wrapped up in their 40 times only. I know I have been guilty of that
    particularly with Stephen Hill. He looked like a beast at the Combine and the way he ran
    made him look like a no-brainer of a pick. And we see how that's turned out so far. Their
    40 is a factor but let's be real:

- The way they run routes
    - What routes have they run
    - Their hands
    - How they catch the ball (with their hands or with their body)
    - Their college production
    - Their playing speed

Are more important than their pure speed. Because if we had a do-over I think we all
    would have picked Alshon Jeffrey over Hill and Jeffrey had Hill beat in EVERYTHING
    except for 40 time

Jets Insider VIP
    I'm honestly starting to favor Matthews at #18. I think he's going to rise up the boards bigtime between now and May.

Excellent route runner, great hands, attacks the ball at its highest point, is great after the catch, had amazing production in the SEC, was a team captain at Vandy, tireless work ethic, and has the bloodlines (2nd cousin of Jerry Rice).

The only knock against him is that he isn't a burner.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I'm starting to see multiple mocks that have Mike Evans dropping as far as 17 to the Ravens. It would be a damn shame if we miss this guy by one pick.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I'm starting to see multiple mocks that have Mike Evans dropping as far as 17 to the Ravens. It would be a damn shame if we miss this guy by one pick.
    I can definitely see Evans dropping... Just watch the guy run. He's not explosive in the short area.

Make all of the comparisons you want to Alshon Jeffery, but Alshon was always pretty shifty in the short area for a big man.

A receiver I think who will be taken in the first that people should start familiarizing themselves with is Davante Adams. Has the size, attacks the ball in the air, and also has good quickness. Top end speed not as good, but I've come to believe that the initial burst is more important.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I'm honestly starting to favor Matthews at #18. I think he's going to rise up the boards bigtime between now and May.

Excellent route runner, great hands, attacks the ball at its highest point, is great after the catch, had amazing production in the SEC, was a team captain at Vandy, tireless work ethic, and has the bloodlines (2nd cousin of Jerry Rice).

The only knock against him is that he isn't a burner.
    Matthew's draft slot is going to really depend on his 40 time (regardless of whether it should or not). I think if he runs under 4.5, he will go in the first round.

Good thread, KRL. Fully agree also - give me a guy who gets open and catches the ball over a track star any day.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Good thread, KRL. Fully agree also - give me a guy who gets open and catches the ball over a track star any day.
    Most of the top WRs in football aren't really track stars. There's a few like Desean Jackson but many more like Boldin who isn't really fast at all.

I would like to see more of Mike Evans vs. press coverage I'm not sure if I would take him until he shows he can release from press coverage to get open in time

FWIW, Jeremy Kerley ran a 4.62 at the combine.
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ley?id=2495189

Anquan Boldin clocked in at 4.72
    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=6496

So it's not like you need 4.4 or even 4.5 speed to be successful...

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    FWIW, Jeremy Kerley ran a 4.62 at the combine.
    http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/...ley?id=2495189

Anquan Boldin clocked in at 4.72
    http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=6496

So it's not like you need 4.4 or even 4.5 speed to be successful...
    Boldin is the rare exception. Not many good 4.7 WRs out there . . .

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Boldin is the rare exception. Not many good 4.7 WRs out there . . .
    Mike Evan's isn't a 4.7 WR. His 40 time is 4.58-4.68.

Hakeem Nick's 40 time is 4.51-4.63.

Not a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by houyx View Post
    Mike Evan's isn't a 4.7 WR. His 40 time is 4.58-4.68.

Hakeem Nick's 40 time is 4.51-4.63.

Not a huge difference.
    There are exceptions to every rule, but there are general things that hold true.

Brees and Wilson are exceptions to the QB-height rule, but generally speaking, it's helpful to be bigger.

As a receiver, it's helpful to be faster.

I think I get wrapped up in height more than speed when it comes to receivers and that's wrong to think that way too.

@Steiny31 #Jets met with Coastal Carolina wide receiver Matt Hazel (@Dirty_Harry6) at the East-West Shrine Game.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I think I get wrapped up in height more than speed when it comes to receivers and that's wrong to think that way too.
    I wouldn't draft a guy who can't make explosive plays in the first round.

All League
    I truly believe Donte Moncrief will be the steal of the draft. He's got good size, decent speed, and a great set of hands. I would love to see the Jets target him in Round 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpOHRPmhErw

All Pro
    Anybody know what Jerry Rice ran the 40 in? 4.7
    Larry Fitzgerald? Pretty good WR. 4.63

Yes, of course speed helps, but not necessarily the same type of speed you see in a dash. Like others have said, the guy who produces in college, makes quick cuts, runs good routes, isn't a midget, and doesn't stick a gun in his sweatpants to go clubbing is the guy you want to use a high round pick on.

All League
    With Matthews getting bashed let's remember the 40 time is not a WR most
    important factor