Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need house buying advice...

Need house buying advice...

put an offer on our first home in Marlboro NJ, 3 questions:

1. anything specific i should look out for during the contracting stage? or is it pretty cookie cutter?

2. does the lawyer matter? or should i go with the realtors lawyer?

2. anyone commute to NYC from that area? i know its a pain in the ass but anyone with any experience would be great

like i said, first time home buyer so any advice is welcome.

Home inspection by a reputable company not recommended by the realtor and hire your own lawyer not recommended by the realtor. Realtor involvement can sometimes not be good.

Big things to check are HVAC systems,roof and any mold,termites,asbestos,lead paint depending on the age of the home I don't think radon is an issue in that area. Does the property require flood insurance if it does do not buy it that usually means it will flood.

Also get a mortgage with a reputable mortgage company or bank.

Good Luck.

P.S Is this the place your buying http://www.weichert.com/47626369/ or is this it http://www.weichert.com/49544384/
    Last edited by ALJETS; 01-14-2014 at 07:23 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Only Marlboro?

Quote Originally Posted by ALJETS View Post
    Home inspection by a reputable company not recommended by the realtor and hire your own lawyer not recommended by the realtor. Realtor involvement can sometimes not be good.

Big things to check are HVAC systems,roof and any mold,termites,asbestos,lead paint depending on the age of the home I don't think radon is an issue in that area. Does the property require flood insurance if it does do not buy it that usually means it will flood.

Also get a mortgage with a reputable mortgage company or bank.

Good Luck.
    tnx buddy. the house is in very good shape, i also assume some of this stuff would come out during the inspection?? i was told to make sure the contract states that anything the inspector finds i either get credit for or the seller fixes before i move in.

i checked the flood zone map, it says its low-medium risk for flooding...will check with realtor.

one other thing...i have to fence the yard...the entire lot if half acre including the home which is only about 2500sf...any idea what what could run for a wood fence? someone told me to prepare for like 10k.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Only Marlboro?
    what do u mean?

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Offer doesn't mean purchased, were, are you only looking in Marlboro?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    put an offer on our first home in Marlboro NJ, 3 questions:

1. anything specific i should look out for during the contracting stage? or is it pretty cookie cutter?

2. does the lawyer matter? or should i go with the realtors lawyer?

2. anyone commute to NYC from that area? i know its a pain in the ass but anyone with any experience would be great

like i said, first time home buyer so any advice is welcome.
    Get your own lawyer, unless you know this realtor really well. Sometime they'll only have the realtor's best interest at heart, and not your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache 51 View Post
    Offer doesn't mean purchased, were, are you only looking in Marlboro?
    no, not only there...but this one is in Marlboro. need space, have 2 huge dogs...so need a yard.

Here's the fence company I used years ago don't think $10k unless its a vinyl fence.

http://www.yorkfence.com/

Here's the fence company I used years ago don't think $10k unless its a vinyl fence.

http://www.yorkfence.com/
    thank you!!

Jets Insider VIP
    Dont tell the new neighbors you went to Pace. Values will drop....

Nice area, terrible commute, IMHO. For work in NYC, town on the train line will make your life easier, IMHO.

All League
    Pay close attention to big ticket items that may need upgrade/major repair in the near future. Consider those things as part of the cost of the house. Examples:

kitchen
    bathrooms
    electric
    heating system/boiler
    roof
    windows
    State of the insulation

Also, look for signs of water incursion in the basement (e.g., things up on pieces of PT or a raised floor): that means if you want a finished basement you'll first pay a pretty penny to eliminate the water,

Veteran
    How old is the house - as in what year was it built?

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    Dont tell the new neighbors you went to Pace. Values will drop....
    lol, i never tell anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Pay close attention to big ticket items that may need upgrade/major repair in the near future. Consider those things as part of the cost of the house. Examples:

kitchen
    bathrooms
    electric
    heating system/boiler
    roof
    windows
    State of the insulation

Also, look for signs of water incursion in the basement (e.g., things up on pieces of PT or a raised floor): that means if you want a finished basement you'll first pay a pretty penny to eliminate the water,
    the house is in good shape, almost everything is brand new. the basement is finished.

does the inspector look at things like boiler?

Quote Originally Posted by adpz View Post
    How old is the house - as in what year was it built?

Quote Originally Posted by Heynowguy View Post
    Nice area, terrible commute, IMHO. For work in NYC, town on the train line will make your life easier, IMHO.
    yeah the commute is going to suck to say the least...

+1. Learned the hard way on this one.

Veteran
    Does the kitchen have a kenmore?