Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stephen Hill

stephen Hill

Rex made it clear that he did not want to draft him in the second round. DOes anyone know who he wanted instead?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    Rex made it clear that he did not want to draft him in the second round. DOes anyone know who he wanted instead?
    I don't know who wanted him, but i remember hearing westhoff on ESPN radio recently say that when they drafted stephen hill he was so mad he got up and left the building. reason being they traded their 5th and 7th round picks to get him, which are important guys on westhoffs board who are usually special team type guys.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by loluchka80 View Post
    I don't know who wanted him, but i remember hearing westhoff on ESPN radio recently say that when they drafted stephen hill he was so mad he got up and left the building. reason being they traded their 5th and 7th round picks to get him, which are important guys on westhoffs board who are usually special team type guys.
    Tanny. Trying to make up for letting Braylon go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    When did he say this?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    When did he say this?
    It was one of those things that came out in the after-draft reporting. Here is one story.

I love the Jets defense and it should keep them in most games. But New York seems to think it has enough playmakers on offense and I just don't see it. In training camp, when I asked him how he knew rookie second-round receiver Stephen Hill was ready to contribute early, Ryan gave me a very honest, but curious answer.
    "Well, nothing told me he would (contribute),'' Ryan said. "Nothing. When I saw the tape (of his collegiate play) I was concerned. But (Jets general manager) Mike Tannenbaum and (senior personnel executive) Terry Bradway and all our scouts were adamant about this guy. They were adamant that this guy can do it. He can run all these routes, he had good hands and he's got 4.2 speed at 6-foot-5. He was the guy they all wanted, but honestly, when it came down to it, a wideout? Not my dream pick. But now that we have him, of course, I want to claim him: 'Oh, that was my pick.' But it really wasn't.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2qVXc8PLf

Score one for the fat man

Wouldn't surprise me if Rex only had influence on Tanny when it came to defensive picks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Wouldn't surprise me if Rex only had influence on Tanny when it came to defensive picks.
    Haha and FBs

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    Haha and FBs
    Hm?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Hm?
    Wasn't John Conner Rex's call?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Absolutely he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Jet View Post
    Was he? I remember him saying he liked him, but that's different from saying "I was the one who pushed for him"

Connor was 100% Rex's pick. Said it on hard knocks too. Rex does not value wideouts. He does not feel a wideout is worthy of a high round pick. He may not have liked Hill, but he would have balked at any WR.

Jets Insider VIP
    Rex wanted a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Rex wanted a corner.
    Proof?

As for Connor, if he did say that, then I was wrong. But the comment about WRs is without evidence.
    Last edited by Eckesg1; 01-15-2014 at 07:19 PM.

I think Rex really does know what makes a good football player and what doesn't. Coples and richardson were both "his guys" and have been very good.

I hate that we wasted a pick letting him choose conner, but its not like conner was a bust as a "football player" he was a bust because a FB who can't catch has no worth in todays NFL and Rex didn't see that.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Rex wanted a corner.
    Dude, Rex ALWAYS wants a corner!

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Dude, Rex ALWAYS wants a corner!
    And M&Ms

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    It was one of those things that came out in the after-draft reporting. Here is one story.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz2qVXc8PLf[/FONT][/COLOR]
    That is pretty negative and you rarely see that from a coach.

guys, Rex made those comments about Hill joking around. He also made similar comments after Hill's firstt game against Buffalo.

If the Jets load on WR like we expect them to, I think HIll is going to have to start playing special teams next year. With his speed, we might as well take a shot with him as a KR. He did it in college.