Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jets Oline ranked 25th in 2013, 3rd in 2012 per PFF

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Oline ranked 25th in 2013, 3rd in 2012 per PFF

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...line-rankings/

"Stud: For a line with as much talent as they have, it’s really surprising that D’Brickashaw Ferguson (+0.1) would walk away with the highest grade. A bad year by his standards where he gave up eight sacks and was poor with his run blocking.

Dud: Whoever they put at left guard. Vlad Ducasse (-9.5) had a breakout game against the Patriots and then proceeded to stink the joint up, forcing rookie Brian Winters (-28.5) into action. It did not go well."

I was shocked Brick gave up 8 sacks. I really don't follow Oline play closely and rely on the boards comments to form an opinion to be honest. I was under the impression that Vlad was slightly better than Winters in pass blocking and Winters was better in run blocking. If these rankings are accurate this is kind of disheartening.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stats do not tell the whole story on our OLine. Just looking at what was posted you would think Smith was under
    siege most of the year. But if you watched that wasn't the case, here's an example of what went on for most of
    the year:

- Smith dropped back to pass and the line gave him 3-4 seconds to scan the field. He hangs onto the ball too long
    and gets sacked, the lineman who blocked the defender gets "credited" with giving up a sack

The lineman then gets marked as having a bad game/year but its really Smith who caused a lot of those sacks.
    To me the line was decent to good, the person who had struggles was Winters in pass protection. But even he
    was improving over the final 4 games of the season

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    PFF is a piece of **** website run by a bunch of fantasy football idiots.

Anybody that watched this O-Line would agree that they played well. The run blocking was very good in the 2nd half of the season, it was decent all around. The pass blocking was almost great in the 2nd half, unfortunately Geno has zero awareness in the pocket and either runs around like a maniac until he gets sacked or he just stands there and waits about 20 seconds until he gets sacked. At times the guy had like 10 seconds in the pocket. Feel free to blame the receivers, the scheme or whatever, but the O-Line did a good job. And while I'm not a big Winters fan he wasn't that bad. Again, these idiots can't evaluate ****.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post

Anybody that watched this O-Line would agree that they played well. The run blocking was very good in the 2nd half of the season, it was decent all around. The pass blocking was almost great in the 2nd half, unfortunately Geno has zero awareness in the pocket and either runs around like a maniac until he gets sacked or he just stands there and waits about 20 seconds until he gets sacked. At times the guy had like 10 seconds in the pocket. Feel free to blame the receivers, the scheme or whatever, but the O-Line did a good job. And while I'm not a big Winters fan he wasn't that bad. Again, these idiots can't evaluate ****.
    Wow

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of factors involved. The left side was messy and Winters is a rookie. No doubt in my mind that Brick had to shadow Winters a little and maybe help out, that may have contributed to Brick's regression although it doesn't account for all of it. Protecting for a somewhat unpredictable rookie QB isn't easy either. Passing plays are choreographed....everyone has a "planned" place to be, steps to take, actions to take in a well-orchestrated dance of about 7 seconds. Geno held the ball too long sometimes, or he moved around a little unexpectedly or flashed the run. This can make it hard to protect for the guy. I'm not making excuses but I think a rookie OG and a rookie QB had some influence on the overall statistical performance of the O-Line. I expect major improvement for two reasons, and they both involve experience:

1. Both Geno and Winters will have a year under their belt and Geno should hopefully become more automatic with his progressions and get the ball out on time. Running backwards, hiding the ball behind his back for a Safety against Tennessee....those kinds of things should hopefully disappear.
    2. We are heading into Year 2 under the new Mornhinweg system. Practice and repetition in the system should improve everyone's play on offense. Assuming we only have MAJOR turnover at the skill positions like WR, TE, etc. and the core of Geno Smith and maybe 4 of the 5 linemen remains intact I'd expect protection improvement and better rushing as well.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 01-16-2014 at 03:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Regardless of whether you buy into these rankings, we can probably all agree we should have kept Slauson. He's been great for the Bears while Winters was disapointing.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually, many teams subscribe to their services which aren't available to the publc. Come up with a different excuse homer.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNCCFP View Post
    Actually, many teams subscribe to their services which aren't available to the publc. Come up with a different excuse homer.
    Unless you meant Simpson DaBallhawk is no homer..

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Stats do not tell the whole story on our OLine. Just looking at what was posted you would think Smith was under
    siege most of the year. But if you watched that wasn't the case, here's an example of what went on for most of
    the year:

- Smith dropped back to pass and the line gave him 3-4 seconds to scan the field. He hangs onto the ball too long
    and gets sacked, the lineman who blocked the defender gets "credited" with giving up a sack

The lineman then gets marked as having a bad game/year but its really Smith who caused a lot of those sacks.
    To me the line was decent to good, the person who had struggles was Winters in pass protection. But even he
    was improving over the final 4 games of the season
    I dunno - there were a lot of times that our line got flat out beat and Geno was running for his life. There were also a lot of times where he held the ball too damn long. Either way, our line did not deserve to 3rd in 2012 and doesn't deserve to be 25th in 2013.

I would say that they fell roughly in the 13 - 16 range in both years, just from an eyeball perspective. Meaning, they were average.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Regardless of whether you buy into these rankings, we can probably all agree we should have kept Slauson. He's been great for the Bears while Winters was disapointing.
    Winter’s is just 22 and more talented than Slauson and should develop similarly only a higher ceiling.

Be patient...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ummmmm the line this year was 20X what it was last year and it isn't even close!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DUNCCFP View Post
    Please give me the list of the "many teams" that "subscribe" to their "services". You're dildo.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone who watched both seasons can honestly say that the 2013 line was far more consistent in both pass blocking and run blocking... This years line was an average pass blocking unit, compared to below average last year and an above average run blocking unit, compared to an average one last year. We need more youth and depth though, WR/TE/OG/OT are priorities in this draft/FA period.

Let's hope Idzik can hit on all four positions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    Winter’s is just 22 and more talented than Slauson and should develop similarly only a higher ceiling.

Be patient...
    Slauson year 2 was much better than Slauson year 1. Hopefully we see the same from Winters

Sent from my E350 using Tapatalk 4

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Unless you meant Simpson DaBallhawk is no homer..
    No he just hates everything

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holding onto the ball too long is one of the most over-analyzed/scrutinized aspects of QB play. There is a fine line between holding onto the ball too long and "buying time" and "allowing the WRs to get open". Very subjective.

As for the OL, the ranking seems about right IMO. I think 15th through 25th ranked OLs are pretty much the same so being #25 isn't as bad as it sounds. The interior of the OL was the biggest issue. Colon's penalties, Winters and Ducasse awful pass blocking, Mangold being up and down. I think we finished the year on a high note and hopefully Winters can develop. I wouldn't cry if we took a Tackle early depending on what happens with Howard.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Please give me the list of the "many teams" that "subscribe" to their "services". You're dildo.
    Sorry for calling you a homer. You're just a hater and not too smart

Pro Football Focus gaining attention for its rankings of NFL players
    0 11 25 679

Related

View Larger

Steve Mitchell
    Dolphins cornerback Brent Grimes, shown breaking up a pass intended for Baltimore's Torrey Smith on Sunday, Oct. 6, allows completions on 60.7 of passes targeted toward him, according to Pro Football Focus. That figure ranks Grimes sixth among all NFL cornerbacks.
    By Hal Habib
    Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
    DAVIE — Neil Hornsby is one Brit who, if you tell him you want to talk football, he doesn’t think Arsenal vs. Manchester United.
    Give him the Dolphins vs. Jets, Redskins vs. Cowboys, Packers vs. Bears and he’s happy.
    Give him reams and reams of stats on those rivalries and he’s even happier — and he believes you will be, too.
    From his base in Luton, England, Hornsby created Pro Football Focus, the web-based subscription service whose stock has seemingly mirrored Russell Wilson’s as it boldly takes NFL statistics where no geek has gone before.
    Want to know who the highest-rated cornerbacks are? Which offensive tackles grade out the highest? Who can’t block anybody? That’s cake to Pro Football Focus (slogan: “Every game. Every player. Every play.”).
    For a real challenge, Pro Football Focus compiles stats on how many times a quarterback is hit as he throws (Miami’s Ryan Tannehill: two), how many sacks have been allowed by Dolphins tackles Jonathan Martin and Tyson Clabo (six apiece, tied for second-most in the league) and what percentage of the time Miami cornerback Brent Grimes has given up a completion on passes directed his way (60.7, which helps him rank sixth at his position).
    “I was massively surprised when I started to do what we did,” said Hornsby, 49. “I just assumed that every NFL team would automatically do what we do. And was shocked, really, when I found out that not only did they not do that, they did a lot less than I could have ever imagined.”
    In just five years, Hornsby’s ratings — primarily $26.99 per year at ProFootballFocus.com — have gained acceptance to the point that they’re cited in Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback column on SportsIllustrated.com, on network game broadcasts and in daily newspapers (including this one).
    Not all the talk has been positive.
    “To be honest with you, I don’t spend a lot of time looking at their numbers,” Dolphins defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle said. “I don’t know where they can have statistics and quantify these statistics without really knowing what the calls are or what a guy’s responsibility is.”
    Grimes pointed out one example: Between various man and zone coverages, the defender closest to a receiver isn’t always the player “burned.”
    “How do you know?” said Grimes, adding he can’t always be certain when he’s watching games on TV.
    Hornsby: “Most of the time, it’s brutally obvious. Some of the time, it isn’t.” He said that on those occasions, his staff will comb through various angles of a play before assigning a grade. It might even consult with team sources. “In at least 50 percent of the time, we can find out.”
    It’s probably no coincidence that he says he’s “very, very proud” of the offensive linemen’s grades but “much less comfortable” with rankings for safeties.
    Hornsby said subscribers include NFL players and about a third of the teams, although he declined to say whether the Dolphins are among them (a source indicated they are). He said some teams use Pro Football Focus to help with roster cuts.
    Dolphins center Mike Pouncey said he supports grading offensive linemen, but “it better be somebody that played this sport and understands it. I could sit back and tell LeBron James to make a 3 every time, but I’ve never played basketball, so how can I criticize him?”
    Hornsby, a business consultant, said each analyst undergoes six months of training. Grading on each play is done on a scale ranging from +2.0 to -2.0, with a 0 being average. Analysts are told if they’re not “95 percent sure” on a given play, not to assign a grade, but also not to be afraid to use judgment.
    Hornsby believes objectivity is bolstered by having U.S.-based graders who don’t work for teams. Coaches, he said, “tend to like certain players because they’re nice guys.”
    Hornsby cited a case of a weak team whose position coach had given all his players positive grades. The head coach colorfully pointed out that the team was getting crushed, obtained Pro Football Focus’ grades and said they were closer to reality. Many teams begin their relationship with Pro Football Focus “being sniffy,” Hornsby said, but quickly come around to thinking it’s “incredibly accurate.”
    Hornsby sometimes tires of defending his ratings.
    “There will always be people who won’t believe in it — up until the point they do,” he said.
    “Sometimes I think I like the debate because the more debate you have, the more you’re challenged, the more stringent you have to be. But there are times you get fed up with it.”
    Love it or scoff at it, the detailed numbers might be here to stay. Or even multiplying.
    College Football Focus, Hornsby said, might be his next undertaking.
    RATING THE DOLPHINS
    How they compare in NFL statistics and grades by Pro Football Focus (NFL ranks based on yardage or passer rating; PFF ranks based on undisclosed formula).
    Category;NFL;PFF
    Overall offense;28th;19th
    Overall defense;8th;5th
    Quarterback;15th;8th

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for pointing out how dumb you are by believing what the owner of that piece of **** website is telling you. Gullible moron. And thanks for pointing out what I said earlier, that they don't know **** about what they're doing. Not only do they have zero experience playing in the NFL, they don't know what the calls are or what even to look for. So how do you even believe what they write? But being as dumb as you are I'm not surprised. And besides, some of those stats are pretty much obvious and correct for the most part, like dropped passes, targeted receivers and whatnot. Maybe there's a team dumb enough to pay these idiots 20 bucks a year to get those stats, but that has to be one pathetic team if they can't figure out a way to keep track of those stats by themselves. They have access to STATS Inc. and those are the elites when it comes to stats. So believe what you want, you're too stupid to figure it out on your own.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jesus, a lot of hate for PFF. I wouldn't say they're perfect, but they're usually pretty accurate. They rank wilk rich and snacks pretty high, are they wrong there?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Jesus, a lot of hate for PFF. I wouldn't say they're perfect, but they're usually pretty accurate. They rank wilk rich and snacks pretty high, are they wrong there?
    PFF stats, like any stats can be useful. I think anyone who watched every game would agree this year's oline was much better than last years or the year before. They had some bad games where they got dominated, like Tenn and Cin, but overall they were pretty good. Rookie QB, no offensive talent, and your not going to look great in pass protection.

I'm glad we got rid of slausen though. Never liked him, since he started our oline was garbage. I know winters had problems but I suspect that for a rookie. Vlad's shot has come and gone, so hopefully Winters improved.