Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: POOR PATSIES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post
    How have the Jets done in the playoffs the last 3 years?
    Oh. That hurt. Jets have been like the Pats the past three years.. watching another team raise the Lombardi trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by GetaLife View Post
    Oh. That hurt. Jets have been like the Pats the past three years.. watching another team raise the Lombardi trophy.
    I love how fanbases move the goal posts.

Pats fans circa 2004: Nothing matters but Lombardi trophies.
    Pats fans since then: Two AFCCG appearances in a row means two successful seasons!

Jets fans after 2010: Two AFCCG appearances in a row means two successful seasons!
    Jets fans now: Nothing matters but Lombardi trophies!

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    http://www.wfaa.com/sports/The-Patri...173748021.html

The Patriots' Way: Cheating

by TED MADDEN
    WFAA Sports
    Posted on October 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    Updated Thursday, Oct 11 at 3:08 PM
    What if, during the steroids era in Major League Baseball, instead of players on every team using steroids, only players from one particular team did? How much of an advantage would that grant them?

That's the comparison I keep coming to after reading "Spygate, the Untold Story." Most of us think Spygate was an open-and-shut case, spanning only a few days in September 2007. The New England Patriots were caught videotaping coaching signals from the Jets sidelines. The NFL found out, fined head coach Bill Belichick $500,000, fined the team $250,000, and took away their 2008 first round draft pick.

Case closed.

And the case was closed, hard. And fast. The league destroyed the tapes, then got the NFL's 31 other owners to toe the company line ("What the Patriots did wasn't really a big deal").

The author of "Spygate," Bryan O'Leary, was never convinced, and finally had enough as he sat down to watch the most recent Patriots-Giants Super Bowl.

"I became so irritated in the run up to last year's Super Bowl, when Bob Costas was telling us that Tom Brady's the next Joe Montana, Belichick is an all-time genius, and they're a model franchise," said O'Leary. "A model? And they cheated incessantly for 6 years? That's what started this book."

O'Leary is a commodities trader who lives in Colleyville; he's not a writer. "Spygate" is his first book, and it reads like a first book. It's not polished, and there is a tone of righteous indignation throughout that you wouldn't get from a more traditional writer.

Get past that, and you'll see where his indignation comes from.

"I think the book is written from an angle of, I'm smarter than this, and you, reader, you're smarter than this too," said O'Leary. "That's the tone in the book: I can't believe I've put in this much time, money and energy (into consuming the NFL) and you're just going to lie to my face."

O'Leary spends 244 pages showing how the Patriots cheated long before and well after the Spygate incident in 2007.

One of the major ways the Pats cheated was by using a 2nd (and illegal) frequency, with which they talk to the quarterback. In the NFL, the communication from coach to quarterback is shut off with 15 seconds on the play clock. The assertion in this book is that Brady was listening to a second frequency and being told what the defense will be (and where the open receiver will be) up until the moment he snaps the ball.

What's also interesting -- and suspicious -- is that in several seasons, the Patriots never even bothered to hire an offensive or defensive coordinator, sometimes both (in 2010 they went the whole year without either). And when they have hired coordinators, they have generally been guys no one else wanted. Former Kent State head coach Dean Pees became defensive coordinator in 2006, after Eric Mangini left to become head coach with the Jets. Pees had a 17-51 record at Kent State. Bill O'Brien eventually became the Pats' offensive coordinator in 2011 after a few years in other offensive coaching roles. His last stop before New England? Duke, where he was offensive coordinator for a team that went 1-22 in 2005-06.

The Patriots haven't needed offensive or defensive coordinators, because they have Ernie Adams. Adams is the "guy behind the guy." He's Belichick's closest confidant, but no one else really knows what he does. This link on the enigmatic Adams is worth a read. O'Leary writes that Adams has a photographic memory and is the one watching the opposing coaches signal in a play, and then, using video from the Spygate tapes, telling the quarterback in his helmet what to do (reducing the role of the offensive coordinator).

After reading the book, I'm convinced this is a HUGE story that got swept under the rug, because NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell recognized how far-reaching it could be if the whole story was told (legacies tarnished, three super bowl trophies fraudulently won, huge contracts to coaches who can't coach -- Charlie Weis, Romeo Crennell, Josh McDaniels, Eric Mangini -- legacies like Peyton Manning's damaged because he was facing an organization that systematically cheated).

We've heard for years that the Patriots continue to win because they do it "The Patriots Way." This book shows that "The Patriots Way" is cheating.

Spygate: The Book the NFL does not want you to read.
    Ugh! I honestly hate being reminded of this stuff. Common sense, facts and multiple sources make it clear and undeniable that the Patriots were up to some pretty sinister chit for about 5+ years. The way the whole thing went down, how it was quickly dealt with and evidence was destroyed is simply unbelievable. The entire league, and even possibly the Patriots, will be better off when Belichick is gone and maybe...just maybe...they earn some respect from opponents for playing honestly. When it's not an even playing field, when the scale is tipped in someone's favor....it's simply not possible to give credit where it may even be due. I'd rather lose to the Pats 47-0 knowing for sure they weren't cheating than lose 21-20 but have that suspicion that something was going on.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    I love how fanbases move the goal posts.

Pats fans circa 2004: Nothing matters but Lombardi trophies.
    Pats fans since then: Two AFCCG appearances in a row means two successful seasons!

Jets fans after 2010: Two AFCCG appearances in a row means two successful seasons!
    Jets fans now: Nothing matters but Lombardi trophies!
    To be fair, expectations matter. Don't you agree?

Personally, I think a rookie HC (Rex) and rookie QB (Sanchez) getting to the AFCCG is a greater success than a multiple SB winner and MVP (Belichick, Brady) coming up short again.

Quote Originally Posted by JetFuel View Post
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-super-bowl/

Marshall Faulk: Patriots cheated the Rams out of a Super Bowl

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 30, 2013, 10:02 AM EST

Getty Images
    It’s been 11 years since the Rams lost to the Patriots in Super Bowl XXXVI, but former Rams running back Marshall Faulk isn’t over it, because Faulk believes the Patriots cheated to win.

Although NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has insisted that there’s no evidence that the Patriots spied on the Rams’ walk-through practice the day before the game, Faulk still thinks they did.

I’ll never be over being cheated out of the Super Bowl,” Faulk told Tom Curran of CSNNE.com.

The NFL fined the Patriots and head coach Bill Belichick, and stripped the Patriots of a first-round draft pick, for taping opposing coaches’ signals in violation of NFL rules. But the separate allegation that the Patriots taped the Rams’ walk-through before the Super Bowl was never substantiated. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said the league destroyed all the tapes that were confiscated in the investigation of the Patriots’ taping practices, and Faulk is skeptical that the whole truth will ever come out.

“Obviously, the commissioner gets to handle things how he wants to handle them but if they wanted us to shut up about what happened, show us the tapes. Don’t burn ‘em,” Faulk said.

Faulk says the Rams installed new plays for the game against the Patriots, and that the Patriots seemed to be so perfectly prepared for them that Faulk believes they must have used espionage.

“I understand Bill is a great coach,” Faulk said. “But No. 13 [Kurt Warner] will tell you. Mike Martz will tell you. We had some plays in the red zone that we hadn’t ran. . . . And a couple of plays on third down that we walked through also . . . And they created a check for it. It’s just little things like that. It’s either the best coaching in the world when you come up with situations that you had never seen before. Or you’d seen it and knew what to do.”

Faulk seems to believe Belichick and the Patriots got off easy for Spygate.

“Am I bitter about how the league handled them taping people? If Bountygate was that bad and Sean got suspended for a whole year? If we want to talk about some unfair assessment of how we’re assessing things? Man. If you lost a game and your brother cheated you, you’ll remember that.”
    And 11 years later, Faulk still remembers a Super Bowl that he believes the Patriots stole.
    It certainly is interesting how great bb did in the playoffs pre spygate.. And then gets knocked out of playoffs 8 straight times.. It's not like they were a number 5 or 6 seed all those years. Most were when they were the clear favorite, and home team.. With what many pats can claim had the best qb ever at his disposal.. Bill is not a good game day coach.. He needs to bring in some talented cords and let them run the O and D..

Here are the two main things to come out of this loss:

1) Brady can no longer win the big game.

2) BB is terrible at coaching the defense when he is HC. The Broncos walked all over the Patsy defense. The defense was absolutely pathetic. They got steamrolled.

Quote Originally Posted by rammagen View Post
    dude part of spy gate was scouting the oppents games and taping their plays before hand and then during the game they would tape and compare and make adjustments from the booth to the field
    All teams do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

2) BB is terrible at coaching the defense when he is HC. The Broncos walked all over the Patsy defense. The defense was absolutely pathetic. They got steamrolled.
    The Patriots defense was fine before Talib got hurt. Can't put all the blame on Belichick when an already-depleted defense loses its best player after just one quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post

What are you talking about?? Belicheat is a genius, don't you know that? When NE came from behind and defeated Denver in the regular season, Belicheat was praised again as a genius for his halftime adjustment (probably had more to do with Denver's gag job). Yet, all you hear after yesterday's game is NE was missing so many players and when Talib went down it was just too much. Talib was a nonfactor when he was in the game. Manning carved up that swiss cheese NE defense on his way to several AFCG records, not to mention the most yards given up by a Belicheat defense. Yes, that great NE defense with its very good Dline and young players according to some of the NE trolls. If the Jets had that defensive performance as NE did yesterday, let's be honest, many here would've been calling for Rex's head.

On the offensive side of the ball, this is what I found shocking. Denver's defense is garbage. The Broncos were without their top defensive player [Miller]. Last weekend I posted that it lined up very nicely for NE to go to the SB. I honestly believed Denver would lose given P. Manning's tendency to sh!t the bed in the playoffs as well as Denver's underwhelming performance last week against SD. Wow, was I wrong! The Denver defense looked like the '85 Bears shutting out NE until garbage time -- 12 minutes remaining in the game. What happened to that prolific NE offense? You know, the one that can beat you running and passing....isn't that what we heard all week leading upto yesterday's game -- NE scores 6TDs without Tammy throwing for a TD!! Lol. Look at that, that great running game was just a symptom of the awaful run defense of Indy.

Meanwhile, a decade plus from tainted Superbowl victories, why is NE still being looked upon as this great organization? Yes, Tammy is a HOF. But after that, NE is nothing special and will be exposed once Tammy is gone. Here's hoping Belicheat sticks around to be exposed post-Brady. Give me Rex any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    The Patriots defense was fine before Talib got hurt. Can't put all the blame on Belichick when an already-depleted defense loses its best player after just one quarter.
    That's not true. Manning was carving up that defense from the opening drive. If not for the generous non-call in the endzone which was absolutely pass interference, Denver scores 7 instead of 3 (first score of the game).

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    To be fair, expectations matter. Don't you agree?

Personally, I think a rookie HC (Rex) and rookie QB (Sanchez) getting to the AFCCG is a greater success than a multiple SB winner and MVP (Belichick, Brady) coming up short again.
    But the Jets are the Buffalo Bills of AFCCG's.

They are 0-4

Quote Originally Posted by jetssjumets View Post
    That's not true. Manning was carving up that defense from the opening drive. If not for the generous non-call in the endzone which was absolutely pass interference, Denver scores 7 instead of 3 (first score of the game).
    Shhhhhhhhhh. Only calls and non calls that fit their victim "refs are out to get us" agenda....

That is 100% true. How many times did the Broncos punt after Talib went out?

That is 100% true. How many times did the Broncos punt after Talib went out?
    I don't recall but guessing, none? Couple that fact with your offense not showing up at all -- let's be honest here AFCE fan, NE was not playing the '85 Bears. That dismal offensive showing is what I found very surprising yesterday, really. Also, Fox's very conservative playcalling kept you in the game. My goodness, he was so conservative.

I don't recall but guessing, none? Couple that fact with your offense not showing up at all -- let's be honest here AFCE fan, NE was not playing the '85 Bears. That dismal offensive showing is what I found very surprising yesterday, really. Also, Fox's very conservative playcalling kept you in the game. My goodness, he was so conservative.
    I agree with all of this. The Pats' defense was reasonably competitive when Talib was in, "non-competitive" (to use one of Bill Parcells' favorite terms) when he was out. The Pats' offense on the other hand was non-competitive from start to finish.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I usually don't either. Couldn't resist today though.

Folks are blaming Welker for colliding with, and intending to injure, Talib and knocking him out of the game.
    They're following their HCs lead. He blamed Welker, called it the worst play he's ever seen.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    You crack me up, but I can't give you any more rep for a while.
    Rep?
    If thats anything like street credz, im already topped off from the mean streetz of Durham, CA.

Thanks tho.

Schluberator & Gadfly ®
    I agree with all of this. The Pats' defense was reasonably competitive when Talib was in, "non-competitive" (to use one of Bill Parcells' favorite terms) when he was out. The Pats' offense on the other hand was non-competitive from start to finish.
    I think their game plan was the start of their demise. I counted a total of 8 rushing plays in the first half. It was reminiscent of the Dan Marino era. Let's stick our toe in the water for the rushing game and if it doesn't work right away, let's abandon it.

Quote Originally Posted by chesapeakejet View Post
    I think their game plan was the start of their demise. I counted a total of 8 rushing plays in the first half. It was reminiscent of the Dan Marino era. Let's stick our toe in the water for the rushing game and if it doesn't work right away, let's abandon it.
    They abandoned what got them there in the first place.... I guess they felt they had to go toe to toe.. I would want to keep going with the run.. limiting mannings time on the field could only help..