Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's say we stand pat but still select WR at 18

Let's say we stand pat but still select WR at 18

Watkins, Evans & Ebron are all gone.

Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews are both available.

Who do you think we go with?
    Last edited by DowNY; 01-19-2014 at 08:09 PM.

All League
    would prefer matthews

I take Lee. I think Lee has more potential and fits the WCO better than Mathews. Mathews is good, and I wouldn't be too upset if we pick him, but to me Lee is the better prospect and someone that would be right up there with Watkins if he had a better team around him this year. We also need speed on our team more than anything, so Lee would fit better in that aspect as well. Also, there is a better shot Mathews drops (from an assumed slower 40 time) than Lee dropping, so there would be more value there too.

Jets Insider VIP
    Matthews

Neither guy possesses "elite" potential IMO.

Lee is the guy with great speed but questionable hands and is prone to mental lapses.

Matthews is just rock solid all-around and a true student of the game.

BPA for sure there's no reason to reach for a WR when there's going to be so many options in the 2nd round. personally I'd look at FS OLB and TE. maybe even QB if the right player falls to us who knows. kelvin benjamin could be an option as well

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Matthews

Lee is the guy with great speed but questionable hands and is prone to mental lapses.

Lee can flat out fly, you sure you wanna pass up on that talent? I understand consistency is something we need but passing up a talent like that is crazy for a guy we can get later on.

Practice Squad
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL by way of Brentwood, New York.
    Would be happy with both guys, but with a gun to my head I would pick LEE

I might even take lee if Evans is still there. I keep hearing that despite his size Evans can't get off press coverage well and he may run slow on top of that.

All League
    What is option C?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    What is option C?
    Taylor Lewan or trade out.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    I might even take lee if Evans is still there. I keep hearing that despite his size Evans can't get off press coverage well and he may run slow on top of that.
    Evans was the reason why Manziel looked great this year. He bailed out JM all over the field on every route imaginable. If both are available and we pick Lee over Evans, lets just say I would be more than frustrated.

I see Lee more like a Santonio Holmes type prospect(not a bad thing), they both have very similar games and body type. As much as I wish we would move on from Santonio, my evaluation for Lee is a positive one. Just not at 18.

But I see Evans as a faster, more agile version of Boldin. I don't care what his time is....watch the tape. I'll take Evans over Lee every day of the week.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet#24Eventually View Post
    Lee can flat out fly, you sure you wanna pass up on that talent? I understand consistency is something we need but passing up a talent like that is crazy for a guy we can get later on.
    Stephen Hill can flat out fly and is 6'4 to boot.

Now, obviously Lee is more polished than Hill...but his case of the drops, mental lapses, and the fact that he's injury prone aren't things that I overlook just because he has some speed to his game.

Stephen Hill can flat out fly and is 6'4 to boot.

Now, obviously Lee is more polished than Hill...but his case of the drops, mental lapses, and the fact that he's injury prone aren't things that I overlook just because he has some speed to his game.
    Lee and Hill aren't comparable.

Lee's best season he had 118 catches, 1,721 yards, 14 TD.

Hill had 28 catches, 820 yards, 5 TD.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

I'm not sticking up for Hill but how can you compare those seasons. Hill played for a team that ran the ball the majority of the time.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post

Lee also played on a team that puts a heavy emphasis on throwing the football in addition to playing with a QB who was once considered a future #1 overall pick in the draft.

Hill played on a team that ran the triple option and only put the ball in the air 10-12 times a game.

I'm not comparing Lee and Hill as prospects. Just saying that speed isn't everything.

Matthews probably won't even break the 4.5 barrier at the combine, but he catches everything thrown his way, is extremely polished as a route runner, is outstanding at picking up yards after the catch and possesses a work ethic that is second to none.

Quote Originally Posted by persiussa View Post
    Meh. I would take Evans over Lee any day. Evans can catch the ball.... that's the thing the Jets need. Someone who has sure hands.

What's the point of getting off press coverage and being fast if you drop the ball when it gets to you?

From what I've seen and read, Evans pass catching ability is definitely better than Lee's.

All Pro
    Push come to shove, the 2 WRs from this draft i would take are Mathews and Landry and team them with Kerley Nelson and Hill.

Matthews

Lee catches the ball against his body. Not good.

And I don't think he's that fast.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Lee catches the ball against his body. Not good.

And I don't think he's that fast.
    He's about a 4.45 4.50 guy. He's not super quick but he has good change of direction and he's good at stop and starting.

Lee also played on a team that puts a heavy emphasis on throwing the football in addition to playing with a QB who was once considered a future #1 overall pick in the draft.

Hill played on a team that ran the triple option and only put the ball in the air 10-12 times a game.

I'm not comparing Lee and Hill as prospects. Just saying that speed isn't everything.

Matthews probably won't even break the 4.5 barrier at the combine, but he catches everything thrown his way, is extremely polished as a route runner, is outstanding at picking up yards after the catch and possesses a work ethic that is second to none.
    I don't think Lee and Hill are all that comparable because Hill's speed is very deceptive. He's extremely fast on a straight line speed, works great on deep go routes or deep slants. But he's actually very slow to get going after a catch or with yards after the catch because he's very raw with his feet set up prior to the catch. Almost all screens and short passes to him where he has a chance to make a move end up going nowhere because he seems to shuffle his feet first before he can get going or catches the ball on his wrong foot it seems. Lee may not be as fast, but he's much more shifty and can get going faster than Hill which makes use of his speed more effective in a west coast system.

I don't particularly dislike Matthews, I go to school with him (albeit not in any of his classes), and he's been pretty much the only real bright spot on our team, but in the games that I've seen, he doesn't get nearly enough separation on a consistent basis to be a top tier threat. He's also a great kid as far as I've heard and down to Earth, but speed and elusiveness is something we sorely lack. If we can pair Lee AND Mathews together, then it'd be great. They would compliment each other well in a sense like how Boldin and Crabtree compliment each other.

To me, this is a choice of risk vs. safety. Mathews will be a decent player, almost no doubt in my mind, but his chances of becoming great are slim. Lee has a bit more of bust factor with him, but he has more potential to be a dynamic player and we need that. I also think Mathews stock will take a bit of a hit after the combine as we see each year guys that have freak scores move up like Hill and drop guys like Jeffery down.