Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's say we stand pat but still select WR at 18

Veteran
    very tough call. i think lee possesses more star power, but watching that first game vandy/ole miss this season made me really like Matthews

I see some saying they'd like to pair Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews together, which would be cool. Almost like our new generation Santana Moss & Laveranues Coles duo.
    But do people think Matthews actually last long enough into the 2nd round?

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    I see some saying they'd like to pair Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews together, which would be cool. Almost like our new generation Santana Moss & Laveranues Coles duo.
    ???? They only played together on the Jets for 1 season (2002). When you say 'new generation' you make it seem like they played years together.

Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Honestly I definitely didn't think he'd be around that late, I thought he'd be taken pretty shortly after lee, but the mocks I'm seeing all have a matthews floating around our pick. I don't get it, the guy is the all time leading receiver in the SEC for yards and receptions...

All League
    Neither. Jace Amaro.

Some Draft columnists ripping matthews on his Performance in the Senior Bowl on Twitter

@Ryan_Riddle: I don't see an NFL star in Jordan Matthews I see a solid No.3 & an ok No.2. That certainly takes his value out of 1st rd IMO.

@dpbrugler: @Ryan_Riddle I haven't talked to one NFL personnel guy who thinks he's a 1st.

@SigmundBloom: @Ryan_Riddle @FirstRoundGrade @dpbrugler in rd 2 you are still shooting for impact players if we're talking WR. more than "adequate #2"

@NEPD_Loyko: @dpbrugler @Ryan_Riddle can't separate down the field at all. And he's going against average CB's at best right now.
    Last edited by hollywoodjet; 01-22-2014 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Some Draft columnists ripping matthews on his Performance in the Senior Bowl on Twitter

@Ryan_Riddle: I don't see an NFL star in Jordan Matthews I see a solid No.3 & an ok No.2. That certainly takes his value out of 1st rd IMO.
    I've been watching the past few days. He's been struggling to get separation during some of the drills. I still think he'd be a solid number 2 WR tho.

They are killing Matthews Hollywoodnose one Scout Columinist said he reminds me of Brian Robiskie Yikes

All League
    And some other scouts think he is great. Every player is gonna have good and bad opinions about them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm not sticking up for Hill but how can you compare those seasons. Hill played for a team that ran the ball the majority of the time.
    Which is what makes them non comparable. Look it up, not many successful WRs come out and never have a 1,000+ yard season. Lee has the college production. He'll be a MUCH better NFL WR than Hill, I think Lee may be off the board by the time we draft.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    They are killing Matthews Hollywoodnose one Scout Columinist said he reminds me of Brian Robiskie Yikes
    He did look a little sluggish, but since he is such a good route runner he was able to get open. Also he almost made an amazing catch with Chris Davis hanging all over him. The combine is going to be huge for him. As of right now I'd be ok with taking him in rd 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    He did look a little sluggish, but since he is such a good route runner he was able to get open. Also he almost made an amazing catch with Chris Davis hanging all over him. The combine is going to be huge for him. As of right now I'd be ok with taking him in rd 2.
    I Agree the Talks of him at 18 is a no go for me... But would scoop him up in the second round ...

As I said before, I watched Matthews play in person, he's not that great in gaining separation, but he does have some speed once he has the ball. I think he slips to the second most likely anyway, because I don't think he's going to run a super fast 40 while there are others that will. I think our first round pick is going to be between Evans (I expect a drop since he won't run a fast 40 either), Lee, Ebron, Amaro.

All League
    All this negative talk about Matthews reminds me of the bashing Alshon Jeffery took two
    years ago coming out of South Carolina:

- Too slow
    - Can't get separation
    - Not a top WR

And how did those evaluations turn out???

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...alshon-jeffery

I wrote a post about this before don't get wrapped up in a guy's 40 time. I think we
    all would like to have a re-draft and pick Jeffery over Stephen Hill

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    All this negative talk about Matthews reminds me of the bashing Alshon Jeffery took two
    years ago coming out of South Carolina:

- Too slow
    - Can't get separation
    - Not a top WR

And how did those evaluations turn out???

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...alshon-jeffery

I wrote a post about this before don't get wrapped up in a guy's 40 time. I think we
    all would like to have a re-draft and pick Jeffery over Stephen Hill
    You are Right KRL . Gonna be some hard decisions come draft time...

For what it's worth, Tony's evaluation of Derek Carr's week of practice is pretty impressive. Check it out on Draft Site.

Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    For what it's worth, Tony's evaluation of Derek Carr's week of practice is pretty impressive. Check it out on Draft Site.
    In my limited opinion, the problem with evaluating senior bowl practices is that the QBs arent getting hit.

Carr certainly looks the part from a size, arm strength, etc standpoint, but the question is how will he do when von miller and chandler jones are after him? I personally like what im hearing about garappolo a lot more then anyone else. They keep referencing him keeping his eyes downfield and looking off safeties, which is a VITAL skill in the league today.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In my limited opinion, the problem with evaluating senior bowl practices is that the QBs arent getting hit.

Carr certainly looks the part from a size, arm strength, etc standpoint, but the question is how will he do when von miller and chandler jones are after him? I personally like what im hearing about garappolo a lot more then anyone else. They keep referencing him keeping his eyes downfield and looking off safeties, which is a VITAL skill in the league today.
    The problem with Garopolo is that he hasn't even looked good throwing at the Senior Bowl.

Freaking Lee. Marqise Lee in my opinion will go number 1 among the receivers.

Mathews scares me because he's not overly fast, but the guy's work ethic will make him a successful player.

Evans is tough to evaluate...

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Freaking Lee. Marqise Lee in my opinion will go number 1 among the receivers.

Mathews scares me because he's not overly fast, but the guy's work ethic will make him a successful player.

Evans is tough to evaluate...
    i think the tough decision will come if both TEs and lee are gone. evans may be a bit stiff to take at 18, or he may also be gone.