Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: Let's say we stand pat but still select WR at 18

  1. #21
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Somerville, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    1,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    very tough call. i think lee possesses more star power, but watching that first game vandy/ole miss this season made me really like Matthews

  2. #22
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,260
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see some saying they'd like to pair Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews together, which would be cool. Almost like our new generation Santana Moss & Laveranues Coles duo.
    But do people think Matthews actually last long enough into the 2nd round?

  3. #23
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    I see some saying they'd like to pair Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews together, which would be cool. Almost like our new generation Santana Moss & Laveranues Coles duo.
    But do people think Matthews actually last long enough into the 2nd round?
    ???? They only played together on the Jets for 1 season (2002). When you say 'new generation' you make it seem like they played years together.

  4. #24
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    717
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    I see some saying they'd like to pair Marqise Lee & Jordan Matthews together, which would be cool. Almost like our new generation Santana Moss & Laveranues Coles duo.
    But do people think Matthews actually last long enough into the 2nd round?
    Honestly I definitely didn't think he'd be around that late, I thought he'd be taken pretty shortly after lee, but the mocks I'm seeing all have a matthews floating around our pick. I don't get it, the guy is the all time leading receiver in the SEC for yards and receptions...

  5. #25
    All League
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Stuart, FL
    Posts
    3,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Neither. Jace Amaro.

  6. #26
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some Draft columnists ripping matthews on his Performance in the Senior Bowl on Twitter

    @Ryan_Riddle: I don't see an NFL star in Jordan Matthews I see a solid No.3 & an ok No.2. That certainly takes his value out of 1st rd IMO.

    @dpbrugler: @Ryan_Riddle I haven't talked to one NFL personnel guy who thinks he's a 1st.

    @SigmundBloom: @Ryan_Riddle @FirstRoundGrade @dpbrugler in rd 2 you are still shooting for impact players if we're talking WR. more than "adequate #2"

    @NEPD_Loyko: @dpbrugler @Ryan_Riddle can't separate down the field at all. And he's going against average CB's at best right now.
    Last edited by hollywoodjet; 01-22-2014 at 10:14 PM.

  7. #27
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    Some Draft columnists ripping matthews on his Performance in the Senior Bowl on Twitter

    @Ryan_Riddle: I don't see an NFL star in Jordan Matthews I see a solid No.3 & an ok No.2. That certainly takes his value out of 1st rd IMO.
    I've been watching the past few days. He's been struggling to get separation during some of the drills. I still think he'd be a solid number 2 WR tho.

  8. #28
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are killing Matthews Hollywoodnose one Scout Columinist said he reminds me of Brian Robiskie Yikes

  9. #29
    All League
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    3,865
    Post Thanks / Like
    And some other scouts think he is great. Every player is gonna have good and bad opinions about them.

  10. #30
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    5,175
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RobR View Post
    I'm not sticking up for Hill but how can you compare those seasons. Hill played for a team that ran the ball the majority of the time.
    Which is what makes them non comparable. Look it up, not many successful WRs come out and never have a 1,000+ yard season. Lee has the college production. He'll be a MUCH better NFL WR than Hill, I think Lee may be off the board by the time we draft.

  11. #31
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,980
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywoodjet View Post
    They are killing Matthews Hollywoodnose one Scout Columinist said he reminds me of Brian Robiskie Yikes
    He did look a little sluggish, but since he is such a good route runner he was able to get open. Also he almost made an amazing catch with Chris Davis hanging all over him. The combine is going to be huge for him. As of right now I'd be ok with taking him in rd 2.

  12. #32
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    He did look a little sluggish, but since he is such a good route runner he was able to get open. Also he almost made an amazing catch with Chris Davis hanging all over him. The combine is going to be huge for him. As of right now I'd be ok with taking him in rd 2.
    I Agree the Talks of him at 18 is a no go for me... But would scoop him up in the second round ...

  13. #33
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    733
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I said before, I watched Matthews play in person, he's not that great in gaining separation, but he does have some speed once he has the ball. I think he slips to the second most likely anyway, because I don't think he's going to run a super fast 40 while there are others that will. I think our first round pick is going to be between Evans (I expect a drop since he won't run a fast 40 either), Lee, Ebron, Amaro.

  14. #34
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    2,369
    Post Thanks / Like
    All this negative talk about Matthews reminds me of the bashing Alshon Jeffery took two
    years ago coming out of South Carolina:

    - Too slow
    - Can't get separation
    - Not a top WR

    And how did those evaluations turn out???

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...alshon-jeffery

    I wrote a post about this before don't get wrapped up in a guy's 40 time. I think we
    all would like to have a re-draft and pick Jeffery over Stephen Hill

  15. #35
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    All this negative talk about Matthews reminds me of the bashing Alshon Jeffery took two
    years ago coming out of South Carolina:

    - Too slow
    - Can't get separation
    - Not a top WR

    And how did those evaluations turn out???

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/...alshon-jeffery

    I wrote a post about this before don't get wrapped up in a guy's 40 time. I think we
    all would like to have a re-draft and pick Jeffery over Stephen Hill
    You are Right KRL . Gonna be some hard decisions come draft time...

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,324
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what it's worth, Tony's evaluation of Derek Carr's week of practice is pretty impressive. Check it out on Draft Site.

  17. #37
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by section314 View Post
    For what it's worth, Tony's evaluation of Derek Carr's week of practice is pretty impressive. Check it out on Draft Site.
    In my limited opinion, the problem with evaluating senior bowl practices is that the QBs arent getting hit.

    Carr certainly looks the part from a size, arm strength, etc standpoint, but the question is how will he do when von miller and chandler jones are after him? I personally like what im hearing about garappolo a lot more then anyone else. They keep referencing him keeping his eyes downfield and looking off safeties, which is a VITAL skill in the league today.

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Mendham, NJ
    Posts
    12,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    In my limited opinion, the problem with evaluating senior bowl practices is that the QBs arent getting hit.

    Carr certainly looks the part from a size, arm strength, etc standpoint, but the question is how will he do when von miller and chandler jones are after him? I personally like what im hearing about garappolo a lot more then anyone else. They keep referencing him keeping his eyes downfield and looking off safeties, which is a VITAL skill in the league today.
    The problem with Garopolo is that he hasn't even looked good throwing at the Senior Bowl.

  19. #39
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Freaking Lee. Marqise Lee in my opinion will go number 1 among the receivers.

    Mathews scares me because he's not overly fast, but the guy's work ethic will make him a successful player.

    Evans is tough to evaluate...

  20. #40
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,508
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Freaking Lee. Marqise Lee in my opinion will go number 1 among the receivers.

    Mathews scares me because he's not overly fast, but the guy's work ethic will make him a successful player.

    Evans is tough to evaluate...
    i think the tough decision will come if both TEs and lee are gone. evans may be a bit stiff to take at 18, or he may also be gone.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us