Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a case to trade up for Sammy Watkins

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Making a case to trade up for Sammy Watkins

Just some quick, simple bullets/reasons to trade up for Sammy "Jet" Watkins.

- Best WR in the class
    - Our most glaring need
    - We have no true #1 WR. Maybe the only team or 1 of 2 teams without 1 in the entire league.
    - Dynamic & gamebreaking
    - Fast
    - Physical
    - Catches with reliable hands
    - Clemson connection with Rex Ryan
    - Tons of picks. Sometimes having a lot of picks allows for making a major trade & taking the risks that come with it.
    - He can play in any offense
    - He gives an improved Geno Smith a new, explosive security blanket
    - Do we really need all these draft picks? We're not in a horrible position like teams like the Vikings, Browns, Texans, etc where we have a ton of needs.
    - We'd be able to compete next year in every single game
    - Takes our offense from laughable to legit with just this 1 move
    - No matter how "deep the WR draft is", none of them are Sammy Watkins & we desperately need someone like Sammy Watkins. Not just someone who is decent & consistent. We need a potential monster.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way Idzik should even think about trading up is if Watkins gets past the 10-12 range.... even then I probably wouldn't want to... this team needs depth and talent across the board, we aren't one receiver away from competing for a championship

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DowNY View Post
    Just some quick, simple bullets/reasons to trade up for Sammy "Jet" Watkins.

- Best WR in the class
    - Our most glaring need
    - We have no true #1 WR. Maybe the only team or 1 of 2 teams without 1 in the entire league.
    - Dynamic & gamebreaking
    - Fast
    - Physical
    - Catches with reliable hands
    - Clemson connection with Rex Ryan
    - Tons of picks. Sometimes having a lot of picks allows for making a major trade & taking the risks that come with it.
    - He can play in any offense
    - He gives an improved Geno Smith a new, explosive security blanket
    - Do we really need all these draft picks? We're not in a horrible position like teams like the Vikings, Browns, Texans, etc where we have a ton of needs.
    - We'd be able to compete next year in every single game
    - Takes our offense from laughable to legit with just this 1 move
    - No matter how "deep the WR draft is", none of them are Sammy Watkins & we desperately need someone like Sammy Watkins. Not just someone who is decent & consistent. We need a potential monster.
    only comment I will make is your wrong about the Texans roster. That team is loaded , and that team might be the favorite to represent the Afc in Super Bowl in 2014 . They will be drafting early every round ,plus the fact there roster does have big time talent. This season was an aberration , and they could easily go from worst to first overnight.
    I understand the point you were trying to make but you just used a bad team(Texans) as an example. Without a doubt they have way more talent than the Jets, and most every team in the league.
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-20-2014 at 08:21 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just some quick, simple bullets/reasons NOT to trade up for Sammy "Jet" Watkins:

-We don't need to. The difference between Sammy Watkins and about a dozen other receivers available when we pick is not going to make us a Super Bowl contender.
    -To trade up to get him, possibly as high as 7, could cost the Jets a 2nd AND a 3rd round pick. Those two players could make a difference.
    -Enough said.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't follow CFB at all, but I keep hearing how this kid is "no megatron, but he is the best receiver in the class". If I'm trading up, I want "the best" -- not just "the best of what's available".

I assume I'll read about this kid ad nauseum the next few months, so perhaps I'll see that assessment is inaccurate. But if it's not, I'd rather keep the picks in a deep class and just hope we find talent where we pick (as already mentioned, we're more than "one WR away") . . .

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Put me in the "no" camp. We are not one player away - we need quality and depth across the board, so we need to keep our picks and use them well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you realize how much it would cost to go up and get Watkins from 18? If we traded up with Cleve at 4 it would cost our 2nd, both 3rds, our 4th and probably something else. Absolutely no way can we trade up in the 1st round this year, it would be Tanny like foolish.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only way I'd trade up for Watkins is if he fell to #15 and it would only cost us a 4th round pick to move up.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Not worth the cost

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The only way I'd trade up for Watkins is if he fell to #15 and it would only cost us a 4th round pick to move up.
    That's about right. If the word on him was Megatron 2.0 I'd feel differently, but I'm not hearing that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rumor has it that Sammy ran a sub 4.3 40 today during his workout. It was so good his trainers didnt tell him the exact time because they want to keep him humble and keep him working. His trainers are saying he could set the combine record.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Rumor has it that Sammy ran a sub 4.3 40 today during his workout. It was so good his trainers didnt tell him the exact time because they want to keep him humble and keep him working. His trainers are saying he could set the combine record.
    So you know the time but he doesn't?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    So you know the time but he doesn't?
    No, they just said it was sub 4.3. That's all they told him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think we have to let go of sammy, we're just not gonna get him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    No, they just said it was sub 4.3. That's all they told him.
    I know what you meant, just a bad attempt at being funny. sorry!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watkins will go in the Top 8. Too rich a move up for a WR. Let the draft come to us, but WR is definitely a must in the top rounds of the draft, along with a Vet in FA. Eric Decker looked prety damned good yesterday tearing up the Pats. Big, fast, good route runner and great hands.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Do you realize how much it would cost to go up and get Watkins from 18? If we traded up with Cleve at 4 it would cost our 2nd, both 3rds, our 4th and probably something else. Absolutely no way can we trade up in the 1st round this year, it would be Tanny like foolish.
    Stop over exaggerating.

1stly, it would not cost that much.

2nd, We'd more than likely have to trade to spot 8 (the Vikings).
    Unless the Rams trade back with a team in the top 7, Watkins will slide to the Bills at #9.

18 to 8 is a reasonable jump.

Use previous trade-ups for WRs as a template. 2 trades come to mind.
    The Tavon Austin trade & the Julio Jones trade.

- With the Julio Jones trade, the Falcons jumped from 27, all the way up to 6. Giving up their 1st, 2nd, 4th & 1 and 4th the next draft. 5 picks in total.
    5 picks, to jump 21 spots. Do you think we'd have to really give up all of that to jump 10 spots? Mind you, we're not even in the 20s for our draft position.

- With the Tavon Austin trade, the Rams jumped from 16 to 8. Surrendering not that much either. Their 1st, 2nd, 3rd & a 7th for the 8th pick PLUS a 3rd rd pick. STILL managed to obtain a 3rd. We don't select at 16, we select at 18. But this deal here is close enough. Maybe instead of giving up a 7th, we'd have to give up a 6th, but really why the hell not?
    If we can move up to 8 AND still receive a 3rd rd pick, we'd still have two 3rd rd picks, two 4ths, & two 5ths. Really don't see the problem at all. Wouldn't even consider the 2nd rd pick a loss, just more of a move down.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think we have to let go of sammy, we're just not gonna get him.
    Says who?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    Just some quick, simple bullets/reasons NOT to trade up for Sammy "Jet" Watkins:

-We don't need to. The difference between Sammy Watkins and about a dozen other receivers available when we pick is not going to make us a Super Bowl contender.
    -To trade up to get him, possibly as high as 7, could cost the Jets a 2nd AND a 3rd round pick. Those two players could make a difference.
    -Enough said.
    You're right. They could make a difference. OR they COULD NOT make a difference. The draft is all about luck. Every player selected in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th will be ballers & contributors.
    Some may be on new teams the following seasons.
    Sammy Watkins is a sure thing. More sure than any other WR in this draft. No matter how "deep the WR class is".

Plus we'd still have a 3rd rd pick & may be able to snag another pick heading our way in a deal to trade up. Look at the Tavon Austin trade.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post
    I know what you meant, just a bad attempt at being funny. sorry!
    No problem, just for the record my info came from my old roommate and very good friend from Clemson who is very active with the CU football program and is good friends with Sammy's representation Tory Dandy, who was at the workout and is a South Carolina native himself.