Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Smart does an Animal Have to be for Killing it for Food to be Wrong?

How Smart does an Animal Have to be for Killing it for Food to be Wrong?

Japan defends annual dolphin hunt
    Country responds to criticism from US ambassador as Yoko Ono calls for an end to the practice

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...roline-kennedy

Just read this article and my knee-jerk reaction was that Dolphins are smart (and cool) and killing them for food, is just not right. But then I remembered that Octopuses (or Octopi?) are very smart too, but I really enjoy Octopus and the fact that they are smart does not bother me at all when I eat them. Same thing for Pigs... I hear they are pretty smart too. So, I'm re-thinking my position on the whole "you are a bad person for killing a dolphin for food" thing because I think it is pretty hypocritical. Plus, who gets to decide which animals are dumb enough for us to eat, and which get a free pass?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Country responds to criticism from US ambassador as Yoko Ono calls for an end to the practice

Just read this article and my knee-jerk reaction was that Dolphins are smart (and cool) and killing them for food, is just not right. But then I remembered that Octopuses (or Octopi?) are very smart too, but I really enjoy Octopus and the fact that they are smart does not bother me at all when I eat them. Same thing for Pigs... I hear they are pretty smart too. So, I'm re-thinking my position on the whole "you are a bad person for killing a dolphin for food" thing because I think it is pretty hypocritical. Plus, who gets to decide which animals are dumb enough for us to eat, and which get a free pass?
    Good question. In all fairness, you realize that about 80% of the people on the Strip could be eaten as food if that were the criteria.

Octopii are considered to be about equal, in intelligence, to the average house Cat.

Personal View, I prefer to eat only stupid (i.e. non-intelligent) animals. Chicken and Fish are almost entirely unintelligent (about equal to a Cockroach). Cows and Pigs a little more so, but still pretty much pure instincts-on-hooves.

Dolphins, Whales, Octopii, Cats, Dogs, Monkeys, Gorillas and a few others would, for me, be in the "never eat" dept.

Also, I prefer not to eat animals that need to be tortured in order to taste good. So no Veal. No Duck, generally.

I look forward to the day when test-tube meat can replace some, if not all, natural production. Will end starvation, and remove the need for raising animals for food.

But I fully appreciate I am a utopian hippie on this issue. /shrug.

P.S. The OP nation would eat the raw penis meat directly from your crotch if they thought it was a "natural remedy". They are, by far, the least respectful of animal culture on earth, hands down. Yes, this is sterotyping.

japan needs food in the worst way... always have. I LOVE dolphins, but if they are going for food, so be it.

Have you watched youtube videos on how cattle/pigs/chickens are treated by US? We are NO BETTER

that being said, I have a wicked porterhouse marinating

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Octopii are considered to be about equal, in intelligence, to the average house Cat.

Personal View, I prefer to eat only stupid (i.e. non-intelligent) animals. Chicken and Fish are almost entirely unintelligent (about equal to a Cockroach). Cows and Pigs a little more so, but still pretty much pure instincts-on-hooves.

Dolphins, Whales, Octopii, Cats, Dogs, Monkeys, Gorillas and a few others would, for me, be in the "never eat" dept.

Also, I prefer not to eat animals that need to be tortured in order to taste good. So no Veal. No Duck, generally.

I look forward to the day when test-tube meat can replace some, if not all, natural production. Will end starvation, and remove the need for raising animals for food.

But I fully appreciate I am a utopian hippie on this issue. /shrug.

P.S. The OP nation would eat the raw penis meat directly from your crotch if they thought it was a "natural remedy". They are, by far, the least respectful of animal culture on earth, hands down. Yes, this is sterotyping.
    That's interesting. I'm pretty sure, however, that pigs are on the same level, or even smarter, than dogs.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...and-lean/2126/

Does that alter your carnivore calculus?

That's interesting. I'm pretty sure, however, that pigs are on the same level, or even smarter, than dogs.

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/episo...and-lean/2126/

Does that alter your carnivore calculus?
    Honestly?

No.

I'm as much a hypocrite as anyone else.

In my own defense, I eat a 80% Vegetarian diet these days (have for years). So my pig intake is quite a bit less than average.

If I was consistent with my own beliefs (or those my wife has brainwashed me to have via nightly subliminal tape playing) I'd be a full blwon Veg Head.

Clearly, the brainwashing tapes need an upgrade.

All League
    Bring on the Soylent 32 Green

Jets Insider VIP
    Watch the documentary called The Cove. Nauseating.

Jets Insider VIP
    17 on the Wunderlic?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Watch the documentary called The Cove. Nauseating.
    Yeah I've seen it.
    I dont think there is a single thing that comes out of the ocean that the Japanese won't eat.

Jets Insider VIP
    Personality goes a long way that''s why i think dogs are off limits, monkeys, dolphins meh. A pig is smart as hell. Had a friend who kept two as pets on a farm in monticello for his daughter who grew to love them, they had a personality as well. Too bad we need them for Bacon but it's a price im willing to pay once a day every day.

Hall Of Fame
    If you see some of the videos about how they "harvest" their dolphins you will cringe. Barbarism is putting it lightly. Right up there with the Chinese and their shark fin soup.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    If you see some of the videos about how they "harvest" their dolphins you will cringe. Barbarism is putting it lightly. Right up there with the Chinese and their shark fin soup.
    Please clarify? Is it your opinion that it is ok to eat a smart animal so long as you kill it humanely?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Good question. In all fairness, you realize that about 80% of the people on the Strip could be eaten as food if that were the criteria.
    Quote Originally Posted by BushyTheBeaver View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Fixed

Hall Of Fame
    Please clarify? Is it your opinion that it is ok to eat a smart animal so long as you kill it humanely?
    Yes and no. I do not know what makes a "smart" animal. There are probably some animals others would call "dumb" that I would say it isn't OK to eat. If I had my choice dolphins would be off limits. Same for sharks and whales and some other marine mammals. As for domestic animals dogs, cats and horses. Exotic animals such as monkeys, large cats, etc. There are others I am probably forgetting. IMO every animal should be killed humanely and any animal you kill for food should be treated with reverence. These dolphins are savagely butchered. Animal and human (child) exploitation is commonplace in that part of the world.

Jets Insider VIP

Sorry. Jap holes are weird.

I don't trust a culture that's obsessed with tentical, cartoon and b*kkake sex.

We didn't kill enough of those f*cking weirdos with those two bombs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Sorry. Jap holes are weird.

I don't trust a culture that's obsessed with tentical, cartoon and b*kkake sex.

We didn't kill enough of those f*cking weirdos with those two bombs.
    Tokyojetfan is cool as ****

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigragu View Post
    Tokyojetfan is cool as ****
    Just as long as he doesn't masturbate on to anime dolls getting sodomized by a smart ass octopus.