Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez will find work easily if the Jets decide to cut him

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Sanchez will find work easily if the Jets decide to cut him

MOBILE, Ala. — As NFL teams begin mapping out their offseasons, most are assuming Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will be cut and become a free agent … and some are excited about it.
    One coach of a quarterback-needy team said his team already has discussed Sanchez internally as an option to be its starting quarterback in 2014.

“We’d take Sanchez,” the coach said. “He’d be the starter as soon as he walked in the door for us.”

That quote may be surprising to Jets fans, who saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times between 2011 and 2012 before missing last season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. But it’s hard to find quarterbacks in the NFL, Sanchez is just 27, has won four playoff games and threw 26 touchdown passes in 2011. Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back.

The Jets are being tight-lipped when it comes to their plans for Sanchez, who has three years left on his contract. But he has a $13.1 million salary-cap figure for 2014 and the Jets would save $8.3 million against the cap by releasing him.
    Those figures plus the Jets turning to Geno Smith last season have made many around the league expect Sanchez to hit the open market.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to think that the team would keep him,” said a team executive, who said when he evaluated rosters, he marked Sanchez down as a salary-cap casualty.

The quarterback market in free agency is very thin this year. Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Josh Freeman, Shaun Hill and Chad Henne are the top quarterbacks scheduled to hit free agency. Matt Schaub also is expected to be released by the Texans and join that group. Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr could all be quarterbacks taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The large number of teams that need a starting or backup quarterback, plus the limited options, will make Sanchez an attractive option to somebody.

“Supply and demand,” the executive said when asked why Sanchez will draw attention if he hits free agency.

Sanchez is currently rehabilitating his right shoulder in Birmingham, Ala. He had surgery in October on the shoulder after injuring it in an August preseason game. The No. 5 overall pick by the Jets in 2009 could be in his final weeks with the team. He is owed a $2 million roster bonus in March. If the Jets release him, it likely will come in February.

Jets general manager John Idzik was noncommittal when asked about Sanchez at his season-ending press conference.

“We’ll get to that in time,” he said last month. “He is a Jet. We consider all our guys Jets until we make a decision or something happens that changes that. So with Mark, I met with him yesterday as well, our focus is to get him healthy, just as it has been really the entire season and then we’ll take it from there.”

http://nypost.com/2014/01/21/sanchez...de-to-cut-him/

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back.
    Interesting

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    he did win 4 road playoff games. he will start for someone in 2014 and bring them to the playoffs

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Interesting
    But not shocking. No one could win with the sh!t-tier talent the Jets have had on offense these last two seasons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always agreed it was not just Sanchez but the whole offensive team and in my mind largely tony sporano. I still believe in Sanchez but I also like geno.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Geno is taller, has more speed, has a better arm and even seems more durable. Geno is simply more physically talented than Sanchez. Geno has all the tools to be a top QB in this league. If he can get there between his ears and get some weapons Geno can be a top 5 QB. Would Sanchez be happy being 2nd string on this Jets team when he can get starting opportunities elsewhere? Maybe Sanchez has some trade value?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    Geno is taller, has more speed, has a better arm and even seems more durable. Geno is simply more physically talented than Sanchez. Geno has all the tools to be a top QB in this league. If he can get there between his ears and get some weapons Geno can be a top 5 QB. Would Sanchez be happy being 2nd string on this Jets team when he can get starting opportunities elsewhere? Maybe Sanchez has some trade value?
    Meh. I think trading him would mean that the next team is responsible for the rest of his current contract. I don't see any team trading for him

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinny Testaverde's Niece View Post
    Interesting
    Yep. We haven't had an explosive offense in so long.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJam Football View Post
    I'm sure Izdik will try to trade him on Draft day but will there be any takers considering he is almost certainly going to be cut?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post
    MOBILE, Ala. — As NFL teams begin mapping out their offseasons, most are assuming Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will be cut and become a free agent … and some are excited about it.
    One coach of a quarterback-needy team said his team already has discussed Sanchez internally as an option to be its starting quarterback in 2014.

“We’d take Sanchez,” the coach said. “He’d be the starter as soon as he walked in the door for us.”
    Jags, Vikings, Browns, Texans...Sanchez is probably the instant starter on any of those teams. He might even do well in Minn or Houston while they groom the next guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdanNJ View Post
    he did win 4 road playoff games. he will start for someone in 2014 and bring them to the playoffs
    Are you this miserable of a person in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Jags, Vikings, Browns, Texans...Sanchez is probably the instant starter on any of those teams. He might even do well in Minn or Houston while they groom the next guy.
    Possibly but it doesnt mean he is good. Teams always want to give a Top 5 pick especially a QB another shot.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's be very clear. There are not 32 men on the planet that can play QB at a high level in the NFL. Because of this teams will take a chance on Mark Sanchez. And the fact is he is talented and young enough to turn his career around. I do agree however that it will rightfully be somewhere other than the NY Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    If he is cut and starts elsewhere then does very well it will be a knife in the chest of Jets fans. I for one hope be is back next season. No good Free agents are available and the draft is needed for other players. Sanchez vs Geno 2.0

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Are you this miserable of a person in real life?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's not a jets fan

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yayankee View Post

That quote may be surprising to Jets fans, who saw Sanchez turn the ball over 52 times between 2011 and 2012 before missing last season with a torn labrum in his right shoulder. But it’s hard to find quarterbacks in the NFL, Sanchez is just 27, has won four playoff games and threw 26 touchdown passes in 2011. Many teams view the deterioration of the Jets’ offensive roster around Sanchez as the problem that held him back.

The Jets are being tight-lipped when it comes to their plans for Sanchez, who has three years left on his contract. But he has a $13.1 million salary-cap figure for 2014 and the Jets would save $8.3 million against the cap by releasing him.
    Those figures plus the Jets turning to Geno Smith last season have made many around the league expect Sanchez to hit the open market.

“I don’t think there’s any reason to think that the team would keep him,” said a team executive, who said when he evaluated rosters, he marked Sanchez down as a salary-cap casualty.

The quarterback market in free agency is very thin this year. Michael Vick, Josh McCown, Josh Freeman, Shaun Hill and Chad Henne are the top quarterbacks scheduled to hit free agency. Matt Schaub also is expected to be released by the Texans and join that group. Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr could all be quarterbacks taken in the first round of the NFL Draft.

The large number of teams that need a starting or backup quarterback, plus the limited options, will make Sanchez an attractive option to somebody.

“Supply and demand,” the executive said when asked why Sanchez will draw attention if he hits free agency.

Sanchez is currently rehabilitating his right shoulder in Birmingham, Ala. He had surgery in October on the shoulder after injuring it in an August preseason game. The No. 5 overall pick by the Jets in 2009 could be in his final weeks with the team. He is owed a $2 million roster bonus in March. If the Jets release him, it likely will come in February.

Jets general manager John Idzik was noncommittal when asked about Sanchez at his season-ending press conference.

“We’ll get to that in time,” he said last month. “He is a Jet. We consider all our guys Jets until we make a decision or something happens that changes that. So with Mark, I met with him yesterday as well, our focus is to get him healthy, just as it has been really the entire season and then we’ll take it from there.”

http://nypost.com/2014/01/21/sanchez...de-to-cut-him/
    I know that I am considered by many as nothing more than a Sanchez apologist, but as I have said before concerning Sanchez, he will show that he is a good QB once he gets away from the Jets. I am sorry that he didn't have MM from the beginning of his time with the team and get a year to sit and learn at a minimum as he should ....

But as I have said since lets go Geno.....

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    non sense.

The only job he can get is with one of these mcdonald's teams. jacksonville, cleveland, minnesota, raiders.

What serious team thinks it was the roster and not sanchez? the receivers didn't throw or fumble 52 times in 2 years.

just another made up drivel of a story by some bs writer.

just cut him and throw him away soon please.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL, probably cleveland talking there. I would love for him to be a starter on another team, one less playoff contender to deal with. Sanchez is garbage and the sooner he is gone the better. I am 100% confident that the jets will never have any remorse letting him go.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Right with you cb

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    I know that I am considered by many as nothing more than a Sanchez apologist, but as I have said before concerning Sanchez, he will show that he is a good QB once he gets away from the Jets. I am sorry that he didn't have MM from the beginning of his time with the team and get a year to sit and learn at a minimum as he should ....

But as I have said since lets go Geno.....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    LOL, probably cleveland talking there. I would love for him to be a starter on another team, one less playoff contender to deal with. Sanchez is garbage and the sooner he is gone the better. I am 100% confident that the jets will never have any remorse letting him go.
    I don't know for some reason I really could see sanchez leaving the jets and doing well with another team. that said I don't really see him succeeding with the jets although I think they should bring him back on the cheap. if geno remains the starter sanchez is a competent backup that actually has some upside