Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sanchez will find work easily if the Jets decide to cut him

Why the hell is there a 12 page Sanchez thread, when it's been more than a year since he's played a game for us and we're weeks away from him inevitably being cut?

Quote Originally Posted by JB1089 View Post
    Why the hell is there a 12 page Sanchez thread, when it's been more than a year since he's played a game for us and we're weeks away from him inevitably being cut?
    Because some of our fanbase foolishly believes that Mark will be cut then brought back on a cheaper contract to either be the backup or compete for the starting job. A minority of the fanbase, for sure, but obviously a vocal one on this board (one of whom was conspicuously absent for the entire 2013 campaign).

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    McCown and Cousins are debatable I think.
    Cousins is young, and played very poorly against terrible defenses. McCown and Henne both had numbers similar to Sanchez before this season.

Either way, he's certainly not significantly worse than a lot of these QBs. The idea that he isn't worth taking a shot on for a team with a Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, or Matt Schaub (who is scheduled to make $18M next season, and will most likely be cut)

Other teams like the Raiders or Cardinals could take a shot on him to be the starter, too.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Can we get oft he Rex is in Sanchezs corner nonsense?

Nothing the past year plus ayes that. Not even close. Except for the Sanchez lovers here

Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Mark Sanchez is the best candidate to be our backup quarterback right now should he accept a contract restructure.

Simple concept. Quite level-headed.

SAR I
    Perfect backup? I wouldn't say that.. But compared to the crop of weak FA class of qbs I'd be open to the idea.. Your above arguments were not just for mark to be backup, you were attempting to make mark look much better than he is, or was.. So why do u view Sanchez as the perfect backup if you think he is better than geno?
    ... You keep throwing the dig " Rex is still the HC so we will be committed to G & P bla, bla, bla.".. That is incorrect...Marty morningwig is the OC, he threw a lot more with geno than shotty did when mark was OC.. He is a very bright independent OC.. He likes to pass, he passed a lot when geno was on..

The blind Rex hating homers ( you were once one) love to believe this conspiracy Rex forced the run on Marty lol.. Marty explained reasons why the game plan changed to the run more.. Geno struggles were 1, and injuries at WR another.. And ivory/Powell combo did very well this yr.. We beat 1 of best teams in league ( saints) with strong running game.. I suggest you read the article with Marty describing the run plays he called, and how he outsmarted Rob Ryan's aggressive d with trap runs..

Marty is coming back because he likes working with Rex.. He is a very respected OC, and if Rex and him were not on the same page Marty would not come back, Rex would not ask him back.. Rex would not even bring a OC to begin with 1 of the highest career passing % calls if Rex was only committed to G and P.. . Geno throws a very good deep ball, something mark did not do well.. Marty appears very happy here, despite have VERY little offensive weapons to work with.. He was in favor of geno from the start.. He does not care if Sanchez walks..

As for Sanchez thinking.. After he is cut, why would he want to come back here? Especially after hearing 1-2 teams will give him starting job off the bat.. I would assume he would rather be given starting job out the gate than be geno's backup? He sure would be paid more by a team who views him as their starter then he would be paid here as a backup.. Mark deserves to start over.. He won't get that here.. He knows Rex favors geno now.. That Izdik and Marty wanted geno over him from the start.. Mark deserves to be cut loose. Now that we know there are 1-2 teams who actually would view him as their starter..

Quote Originally Posted by Cleansweep2013 View Post
    ... You keep throwing the dig " Rex is still the HC so we will be committed to G & P bla, bla, bla.".. That is incorrect...Marty morningwig is the OC, he threw a lot more with geno than shotty did when mark was OC.. He is a very bright independent OC.. He likes to pass, he passed a lot when geno was on.
    The blind Rex hating homers ( you were once one) love to believe this conspiracy Rex forced the run on Marty lol.. Marty explained reasons why the game plan changed to the run more.. ..
    There is no conspiracy. Actually you are the one ignoring the fact that Rex STATED PUBLICLY that he forced a more conservative plan on Marty that hindered Geno's progress. He stated it. Flat out. Marty, being a good soldier explained the reasoning for it. The way they handled Geno before the Pittsburgh game and after was dramatically different and Rex has stated that he did it. And the sad thing is, even though he knows it hurt the team, he will do it again.

Trade Sanchez to the Cowboys to get back the chick from the Flight Crew that became a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader

Was the NY POST article a Jets plant to build up Sanchez's value....see the last paragraph.

http://turnonthejets.com/2014/01/new...ason-approach/

For the first time since the off-season heading into the 2008 season, the New York Jets are flush with cap space (likely in the excess of 40+ million) and draft picks (8-12). This is both an exciting and encouraging thing for the further development of a young, ascending team who posted a relatively surprising 8-8 record in 2013. However, this type of financial and roster flexibility doesn’t need to lead into foolish overspending and shouldn’t have fans focused on “name” players who aren’t likely or smart targets.

Let’s start at the top. Jimmy Graham isn’t leaving New Orleans. Don’t waste your time or energy coming up with an elaborate way for the Jets to pursue him because it isn’t happening. Whether it is being franchised as a tight end, signing a new contract or being franchised as a receiver, the Saints aren’t letting him walk.

When shifting to the draft, Sammy Watkins more than likely isn’t happening either. Unless something dramatically changes, he will be a top 5 pick and the Jets would foolish to trade up that far for a wide receiver. Johnny Manziel? He is very unlikely to be on the board at #18 and again, don’t look for the Jets to trade up high enough to land him. Hakeem Nicks? Big name…particularly in this market but the Jets can do better for the themselves with other free agent receiver options.

There is too much of a focus among Jets fans on who is a “number one,” “number two” and “number three” receiver. This is an archaic way to think about the position. It is similar to people who think the Jets cannot pursue a receiver under 6 foot because they have Jeremy Kerley. Receivers in the Jets offense and in most other NFL offenses are moved all over the formation and play more than one role. The Jets are devoid of talent at the pass catching positions. Collect good players and go from there.

Why do we keep talking about a player like Golden Tate here in comparison to Hakeem Nicks? Tate is younger and his numbers are ascending over each of the past three seasons. Nicks’ numbers are in steady decline the past three seasons, nevermind his lingering injury and attitude issues. Tate is 5’10 but is built like a running back and runs like one after the catch. In Marty Mornhinweg’s offense, you need players who can do just that…take a quick screen or slant, make somebody miss and pick up extra, tough yards. You always want to spend on players who are improving in recent years, not players who are declining.

This isn’t limited to Tate. Eric Decker has an intriguing skill-set but his numbers from the past few years are likely going to lead to him being overpaid. Can you spend 3-5 million per year less on Tate or James Jones and get similar production? Most likely.

A similar line of thinking can be applied to the NFL Draft. The Jets have worked hard to finally accumulate a substantial amount of picks, after being short on them over the past few years. Part of the reason they let so many free agents walk was to accumulate compensatory picks and part of the reason they traded Darrelle Revis was to receive that additional 3rd rounder this year. They held on to all their original picks as well…for a reason. Don’t be fooled by the 8-8 record, this team has a ton of holes and is in desperate need of improved depth across the board. You improve for the long term by using your accumulated draft picks.

Why are you going to sacrifice multiple picks to draft Sammy Watkins when you may be able to grab an Allen Robinson or Jordan Matthews and potentially get similar production? Is Johnny Manziel that “sure” of a thing, that you are going to move up for him, go through the entire process with a rookie quarterback again, instead of putting weapons around the second year quarterback you just invested a year in?

Defensively, Brian Orakpo is a popular name at outside linebacker but could the Jets spend half the money on Jason Worilds and get the same production, allowing them to better address other areas of need? Worilds is another player who has ascended each of the past three years, is entering his prime and doesn’t have a troubling injury history.

Realistically, the Jets need upgrades to the following positions: WR, TE, QB, OG, OLB, CB, S…that is plenty for one off-season and you can only have so many “big money” spends. It makes sense to spread the money and draft picks across these positions in a pragmatic, sensible way. Don’t get caught up in “names,” get caught up in “fits.” This is part of the reason, Jets fans should let go of the idea of Mark Sanchez coming back. Can you make a logical case that he is the right type of veteran to keep behind Geno? Sure. Our TJ Rosenthal has a piece on the way in the coming days doing just that, but from another perspective…the relationship is over on both ends. Cut the cord and move on.

The NY Post article you saw last week about “Sanchez walking in the door as a starter” is a story the stinks of being placed by the Jets or a front office friendly to them. Why? The Jets are trying to create some type of trade value for Sanchez before they inevitably release him. We saw the exact same thing last season when the Jets were leaking stories about Tebow “impressing them around the facility” and being a viable competitor for the starting job. It was an attempt to find some type of trade value before an inevitable cut. This is the same situation. People seem to forget, Sanchez was average in the pre-season, missed the entire regular season and the year before was arguably the worst quarterback in football. There are better options out there, who will come at an equal or less price and provide less of an overall distraction.

Hopefully as the Jets enter this off-season, they target players ascending into their primes and focus on prioritizing “fits” over “names.”

Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    But not shocking. No one could win with the sh!t-tier talent the Jets have had on offense these last two seasons.
    Sorry but you are completely inaccurate IMO. You really think Peyton Manning (who the Jets should have gotten, but dropped the ball on) couldn't lead the Jets to a Super Bowl?

Watch, Belichick is going to make a grab for Sanchez as Brady's replacement-in-waiting. BB is a genius; I'm sure he could figure out a way to turn Sanchez around and turn him into a jet killer for the next 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Huh? I don't know why you don't think he wouldn't be a good backup candidate. He's capable, certainly capable of stepping in, if necessary, for a few games. There's still a chance he could work out his issues, and become a capable starter. Similar to the Matt Moore/Chad Henne types. Having a QB who does have starting experience is useful.

This is the list of QBs that were starters at the beginning of the year and started at least one game at QB in 2013. Sanchez is certainly in the mix with this group. Josh McCown played very well for the Bears and never showed anything like it in the past. The idea that Sanchez wouldn't be a borderline starter/solid backup is simply wrong. Truth is, he wasn't good with the Jets, but he played fairly well in his 2nd/3rd season when he had weapons.

Josh McCown
    Kyle Orton
    Brian Hoyer

Chase Daniel
    Dominique Davis
    Matt Cassel
    Thaddeus Lewis
    Matt McGloin
    Brandon Weeden

Scott Tolzien
    Seneca Wallace
    Kirk Cousins
    Jeff Tuel
    Blaine Gabbert
    In bold are guys that are well better then Mark. Half of which will likely not have a job next year,

I would take Kyle Orton WAY before I would go with Sanchez again. Sanchez sat on his A$$ and collected 8.5 million from the Jets. If the true story behind closed doors is being told, I am certain Idzik asked Sanchez to take a paycut before last season. Sanchez knowing his days as NYJ QB were numbered, outright REFUSED to take a paycut. He knew it was his last big payday. I don't think Idzik will forget that, especially when he was working so diligently to get the salary cap in line and add some sort of competitiveness for the 2013 season. Sanchez is as good as gone.

The ONLY way I see Sanchez coming back is if he accepts the veteran minimum (which is too high for his play level) AND he has "Rex in his corner" like so many here believe. I do not believe the last part. I think Rex is done with Sanchez. But if he ends up staying it will some truth to the Sanchez apologists claims.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

Quote Originally Posted by Mainejet View Post
    I would take Kyle Orton WAY before I would go with Sanchez again. Sanchez sat on his A$$ and collected 8.5 million from the Jets. If the true story behind closed doors is being told, I am certain Idzik asked Sanchez to take a paycut before last season. Sanchez knowing his days as NYJ QB were numbered, outright REFUSED to take a paycut. He knew it was his last big payday. I don't think Idzik will forget that, especially when he was working so diligently to get the salary cap in line and add some sort of competitiveness for the 2013 season. Sanchez is as good as gone.

The ONLY way I see Sanchez coming back is if he accepts the veteran minimum (which is too high for his play level) AND he has "Rex in his corner" like so many here believe. I do not believe the last part. I think Rex is done with Sanchez. But if he ends up staying it will some truth to the Sanchez apologists claims.
    After the way the Jets treated him in '12 and '13 he was right to keep his contract and not restructure. No weapons, scapegoated, Tebow, Sparano, Manning, Geno, he deserves every penny.

SAR I

After the way the Jets treated him in '12 and '13 he was right to keep his contract and not restructure. No weapons, scapegoated, Tebow, Sparano, Manning, Geno, he deserves every penny.

SAR I
    Nonsense. EVERY team goes through what Sanchez went through. That's what happens when you have a salary cap. Tebow had nothing to do with the situation Sanchez put himself in. Rex would not even start him for crying out loud. Sparano was a mistake but it still didn't give Sanchez permission to turn the ball over 26 times. He could have at least been better at game management and protecting the football.

And at that point, Idzik knew he had to get some competition in here to keep Sanchez at least TRYING to get better. Hence, the Geno selection.

You can make all of the excuses you'd like. At the end of the day, he was given SEVERAL opportunities to show something, anything for the team to believe in. He failed. Pure and simple.

My hope is that the team goes after a crafty veteran like a Kyle Orton. He then drafts another QB. Geno, Kyle, and the newbie fight it out in TC. Sanchez is given his walking papers.

Good for him.

If he winds up starting for a team he'll be benched by mid-season. This team or "teams" is/are clueless. Probably Oakland.

I think he'd make a great women's volleyball coach out on the left coast.

SAR I
    Lol all bs excuses.. Sounds like your a bigger fan of Sanchez than you are of the jets.. Will it be hard for you to root for jets if they are playing a gave against Sanchez next yr?

SAR I
    Lol all bs excuses.. Sounds like your a bigger fan of Sanchez than you are of the jets.. Will it be hard for you to root for jets if they are playing a gave against Sanchez next yr?

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Cousins is young, and played very poorly against terrible defenses. McCown and Henne both had numbers similar to Sanchez before this season.

Either way, he's certainly not significantly worse than a lot of these QBs. The idea that he isn't worth taking a shot on for a team with a Brian Hoyer, Chad Henne, or Matt Schaub (who is scheduled to make $18M next season, and will most likely be cut)

Other teams like the Raiders or Cardinals could take a shot on him to be the starter, too.
    If you can't win the starting Qb Job for the Jets, what chance do you have to win another team starting job. Not very good. The Raiders will take Sanchez in a trade if the Jets include their number 1 pick also. (take that contract off your hands. Other than that, (which isn't going to happen) Sanchez might get a job in Oakland .as one of their grounds keeping crew.( keeps working hard could be head ground keeper in a couple of years)

Btw I wonder how many pages you could have if you talk about some player who was actual good, or teams might be interested in adding to their team. Crapchez really??????
    Last edited by Raider9175; 01-26-2014 at 12:02 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    There is no conspiracy. Actually you are the one ignoring the fact that Rex STATED PUBLICLY that he forced a more conservative plan on Marty that hindered Geno's progress. He stated it. Flat out. Marty, being a good soldier explained the reasoning for it. The way they handled Geno before the Pittsburgh game and after was dramatically different and Rex has stated that he did it. And the sad thing is, even though he knows it hurt the team, he will do it again.
    What in the world would make you think he'd do it again, except for your obvious bias? He didn't say it was all him btw. He did say they (that being Rex, Marty, and Id) agreed to try and limit the turnovers, and that in hindsight it had been a mistake. It was the right move against the Saints, and they took it too far. He gave Marty the green light to let Geno sink or swim afterwards, and stated that they should have done that all along. That sounds like more progress from Rex as a HC, but to you it sounds like what? Maybe your worst nightmare. That of the Jets actually moving towards becoming a legitimate contender. Sorry, but Rex is improving. Geno is now being developed properly, and if he doesn't happen to work out then the next prospect will be also. Our GM has a long term plan, the intelligence, and brass to see it through, and has a lot to work with. We have a great HC who is learning to delegate his weaknesses, and focus on his strengths. We have a very good OC with a proven system. We have cap space, and draft picks, and a lot of very young Blue chip building blocks. The Pats and Jets are headed in opposite directions, and you will soon have to find a new team to pretend to be a fan of.