Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dolphins can't give their GM position away

Dolphins can't give their GM position away

How come no one outside of Miami is talking about how long the Dolphins GM search has gone on?

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...-the-gene.html

Humiliation: Browns say Farmer not interviewing second time

So let me get this straight ... The assistant general manager for the Cleveland Browns is informed he is a finalist for the general manager job with the Miami Dolphins and after getting through an initial interview that reportedly went well, he declines to take the second interview because he has doubts about the Dolphins' football structure?

Can this really be?

Is the Dolphins' reputation around the NFL so soiled that even people working for the Browns -- the Browns! -- don't want more money, more power, and a chance to run the Dolphins front office?

Somebody wake me, because this is a nightmare.

Let's retrace some footsteps because if this is, in fact, what's going on, we've already stepped in something foul.

Farmer interviewed for the Dolphins job January 11 and I reported the interview was very good. Obviously, it turns out, the interview did go well because a couple of days ago the Dolphins decided Farmer would be one of their finalists interviewing this weekend for a chance to become the successor to Jeff Ireland.

But a not-funny thing happened on the way to that prized finalist interview. Farmer began to have second thoughts. As I reported Thursday, Farmer started to waiver about whether or not he wanted to interview again with the Dolphins because he was feeling uncertain or uncomfortable with the Dolphins football structure.

Farmer talked to the Dolphins for at least five hours in that first interview. He came to that interview with the blessing of former boss Carl Peterson, who hired Farmer during his time with the Chiefs and is now the top advisor to Dolphins owner Stephen Ross on this GM search. And after answering a bunch of questions and presumably asking some of his own, Farmer was still not sure he either understood or liked the Miami structure?

That's not all.

Was Farmer's concern so profound that even when the Fritz Pollard Alliance strongly recommended he take the follow-up interview so he could get his clarification, Farmer still declined?

Well, that's apparently exactly what happened as on Thursday afternoon, Cleveland Browns CEO Joe Banner told a group of huddled reporters that Farmer was staying with the Browns rather than interview again with the Dolphins, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

Quentin Tarrantino at the height of a drug-induced inspiration could not make this stuff up.

So I have questions that frankly make me wonder about both Farmer and the Dolphins.

1. To Farmer, if you were still uncertain or uncomfortable with the Dolphins structure at the end of that initial interview, why didn't you say so then? Did this discomfort or uncertainty suddenly dawn on you or did you find out new things about the Dolphins in the days following the interview?

2. To Farmer, you worked under Peterson for years. Obviously Peterson thinks very highly you. So if you were uncertain or uncomfortable about the Dolphins structure, couldn't you just call Peterson and ask for clarity? Why the big public unveiling of this issue that makes neither the Dolphins nor you look good?

3. To the Dolphins, is the phrase, "Do you have any questions for us? Are you completely comfortable with where we are right now?" foreign? After all, that kind of covers everything. If Farmer felt any degree of discomfort near the end of his interview, that phrase would have definitely opened the door to the airing of that discomfort.

4. To the Dolphins, how could you not know Farmer had issues with your structure?

5. To the Dolphins, did you interview a candidate and then anoint him a finalist without any clue he doesn't think highly of what you are proposing as the job structure?

6. To the Dolphins, aren't you starting to get a clue that something is seriously wrong with, well, you? Look, when one candidate declines to interview, that's understandable. When two candidates decide your interview offer is not for them, that's kind of worrisome but not terribly. But four candidates declined to take even initial interviews with you and a fifth man, who was open minded enough to take the initial interview, decided that familiarity with you was a reason to stay away in the future.

It's not them, my dear Dolphins franchise, it's you!

It's not the media with an agenda. It's not tough luck. It's not the competition conspiring against you. It is you!

Now, for the sake of full disclosure, Dolphins sources insist it is not them. (On a couple of counts, such as the initial and incorrect Jason Licht story about him being offered the job and this evening's CYA suggestion by one national reporter that Lake Dawson didn't become a finalist until after Farmer had second thoughts, it is indeed the media).

The message I get from the Dolphins is that every candidate is made aware he will be reporting directly to owner Stephen Ross. Every candidate is aware he will not be under either coach Joe Philbin or executive vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte. Every candidate is aware he also will definitely not be over Philbin and probably not Aponte as well. Both Aponte and Philbin will answer to Ross.

Aponte, I am told, has no secret sinister plans to take over as undercover GM.

So where is the misunderstanding?

Are the Dolphins not relaying that message clearly? Is there a communication disconnect? Is the team, through sources, saying one thing to me and then another to candidates? I don't know for sure. I'm not in the interviews.

(Maybe the Dolphins should embed me this weekend for their own well being -- like the military embeds war correspondents. It protects them.).

All I know is this is not the first humiliation the Dolphins suffer lately. It's starting to get really, really old when the Dave Wannstedt disaster is the good old days.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...#storylink=cpy

Veteran
    Would you want to work for J Lo and that wet rat Marc Anthony?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Living in South Florida, the change from Week 16 to now has been glorious. A talk show host this morning was bemoaning how the Dolphins saved Rex Ryan's job, ended up behind the Jets in the division, and are now the laughingstock of the NFL in just a few short weeks. I remember Philbin getting talked about for Coach of the Year after getting through the bullying scandal. Tannehill showing promise as the QB of the future. Playoffs imminent. Then loss to the Bills and loss at home to the Jets. Fire the OC, fire the GM. The hire an OC before the GM, and have scrub executives thumb their noses at the Dolphins. If they didn't have the Heat down here it would be suicide watch time.
    Icing on the cake is that we still draft one position ahead of the Dolphins.

Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    Living in South Florida, the change from Week 16 to now has been glorious. A talk show host this morning was bemoaning how the Dolphins saved Rex Ryan's job, ended up behind the Jets in the division, and are now the laughingstock of the NFL in just a few short weeks. I remember Philbin getting talked about for Coach of the Year after getting through the bullying scandal. Tannehill showing promise as the QB of the future. Playoffs imminent. Then loss to the Bills and loss at home to the Jets. Fire the OC, fire the GM. The hire an OC before the GM, and have scrub executives thumb their noses at the Dolphins. If they didn't have the Heat down here it would be suicide watch time.
    The NFL is a week to week league. People blow things out of proportion all the time and make crazy predictions. Hell there were threads/posts here saying that Philbin is a better coach than Rex and the Dolphins are set for the future. That's why it's always important to wait to the end of the season to evaluate a coach, player, etc.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by littleeddiebell View Post
    Awesome post.

I have to give Idzik a lot of credit for the Jets quiet turnaround, but also credit to Rex for coaching more and talking less. That said, the Bills going on their 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years, the Fish Fry going on down in Miami, and Belichick trying to distract people from the Patriots' failures by focusing on a 180 lb. concussion-prone opponent as a "head hunter" has made the Jets ascent in the Division, at least by perception, much more swift.

Lots of pigs looking ripe for slaughters these days.

Jets Insider VIP
    From what I'd been reading it seems that Dawn Aponte has been running the show, and has Ross' ear. There are also rumors that her & Philbin may have had a hand in Ireland getting fired.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,7199581.story

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Awesome post.

I have to give Idzik a lot of credit for the Jets quiet turnaround, but also credit to Rex for coaching more and talking less. That said, the Bills going on their 4th Defensive Coordinator in 4 years, the Fish Fry going on down in Miami, and Belichick trying to distract people from the Patriots' failures by focusing on a 180 lb. concussion-prone opponent as a "head hunter" has made the Jets ascent in the Division, at least by perception, much more swift.

And thats the key right there. Nobody in football wants to answer to a women. Lets be real here.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    And thats the key right there. Nobody in football wants to answer to a women. Lets be real here.

Agreed, especially in the oldest boys there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    From what I'd been reading it seems that Dawn Aponte has been running the show, and has Ross' ear. There are also rumors that her & Philbin may have had a hand in Ireland getting fired.

This. When the owner had business in NY, Aponte would say she had meetings at the NFL office and bum a ride on the owner's private jet. She would use this opportunity to bend his ear and gain his trust increasing her influence. She also went to Philbin to talk to him about Ireland's possible plans to fire him. She is, in a nutshell, a 100% died in the wool trouble-maker. I imagine that no one will take the GM job because the Fins will not define Aponte's position as one which reports to the GM.... because the only way someone will take that job is if they can fire her if she is intent on stirring up trouble.

All League
    I thought Jlo was their GM

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lolphins are a terrible organization. The Lolphin fans suck. Lol @ finz!!!!

HHmm, the Dolphins signed a WR to a $60M/5 year deal, and got less than 1,000 Yards. They had the worst draft in the NFL last season, despite picking 3rd overall. Their top 10 pick from last season is a QB who is still a question mark. Their 2nd round pick from last season quit because of bullying halfway through the season.

In his first season as a GM the Dolphins won 11 games, since then, they have not had a winning season, they've drafted 3 QBs in the 1st/2nd round. and have had 2 busts and a question mark. They've made multiple bad FA signings. He's been a terrible GM, with 0 success (As in, for all the complaints about Tannenbaum, he certainly was more successful over the same time period than Ireland was). Seems like an article with an agenda. By any standard Ireland should have been fired this year, if not earlier.

Jets Insider VIP

BX6e-K0CUAEtl4z1.jpg

We have all these smart football guys on Jetsinsider that can do the job.

LMAO

Awesome post.

Great thread. The double standard is sickening. Will that douche Jay Glazer do a story on this very topic? Will the a$$hole talking heads at ESPN chuckle about what a circus the Fins franchise is?
    Last edited by TheBlairThomasFumble; 01-24-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlairThomasFumble View Post
    Great thread. The double standard is sickening. Will that douche Jay Glazer do a story on this very topic? Will the a$$hole talking heads at ESPN chuckle about what a circus the Fins franchise?
    Nope, nobody will notice. Naturally.

Next year the pharts will be a lot of people's sleeper pick. Nobody will pencil them in for two wins and a "lengthy rebuild" the way we written about last offseason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jzelada121 View Post
    I thought Jlo was their GM
    Nah, I'm sure it's Gloria Estefan.