Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 82

Thread: Dolphins can't give their GM position away

  1. #41
    Eric Mangina is available and I hear he's supposed to be the greatest drafter everer.

  2. #42
    Finheaven is required reading atm. Pretty good forum, overall, actually. I've had a soft spot for them ever since they found out Incognito's dad was posting all sorts of heinous **** there about Ireland and that weird looking coach of theirs.

    Anyways they apparently offered the job to Caserio and within 45 minutes of that being reported on twitter he's now apparently turned them down.

  3. #43
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,861
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    Finheaven is required reading atm. Pretty good forum, overall, actually. I've had a soft spot for them ever since they found out Incognito's dad was posting all sorts of heinous **** there about Ireland and that weird looking coach of theirs.

    Anyways they apparently offered the job to Caserio and within 45 minutes of that being reported on twitter he's now apparently turned them down.
    Holy ****! If that's true, it is simply amazing.

    I couldn't imagine a guy flying down there, interviewing, going through the process and then getting the job....only to refuse it!

    This once again makes Bill Belichick look like he sent a Trojan Horse into a competitor's inner circle to sift out information and bring it back to New England...lol....simply nuts!

  4. #44
    Caserio has been the director of pro personnel since 2008. Reports indicated that Caserio would share power within the Dolphins organization with head coach Joe Philbin and executive vice president of football administration Dawn Aponte. His role and power have increased within the Patriots’ organization. He is only below head coach/general manager Bill Belichick in New England.
    So a promotion in name only and his first shot at GM he would be stuck with Philbs and Dawn Aponte. Good luck with that, Miami, I'm sure you'll get a top candidate.

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    This once again makes Bill Belichick look like he sent a Trojan Horse into a competitor's inner circle to sift out information and bring it back to New England...lol....simply nuts!
    A lot of people are saying that but it's not like Caserio was interviewing with coaches and perusing their playbooks. According to finsheaven posters there were no 'football people' in the room so I don't think there's a lot of stuff to be gathered there. Plus I actually think a lot of the Belichick cloak and dagger theories are silly.

    More likely Caserio saw an opportunity to either move up to a new position with the Dolphins or get a pay raise to stay in NE, which some reporter on twitter hinted he got a pay grade. I don't think Belichick's behind the curtains on this one.

  6. #46
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,861
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    A lot of people are saying that but it's not like Caserio was interviewing with coaches and perusing their playbooks. According to finsheaven posters there were no 'football people' in the room so I don't think there's a lot of stuff to be gathered there. Plus I actually think a lot of the Belichick cloak and dagger theories are silly.

    More likely Caserio saw an opportunity to either move up to a new position with the Dolphins or get a pay raise to stay in NE, which some reporter on twitter hinted he got a pay grade. I don't think Belichick's behind the curtains on this one.
    I was only half-joking on that point. But the fact that it's a division opponent and the guy was offered a promotion to be a General Manager of a NFL team, then turned it down, has a whiff of douchebaggery to it. Is it really the case that he wasn't going to get a raise with the Pats simply by getting interviewed by other teams, that the Pats said, "well, if you want a raise you'll have to show us you can get a job someplace else"? And, that's the kind of organization he wants to go back to and will turn down a GM job to do it?

    Or, maybe Krafty was handing him an extra $25K when he got back off the plane in Boston from sunny Miami saying, "You done good, Caserio....you done real good!"


  7. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    I was only half-joking on that point. But the fact that it's a division opponent and the guy was offered a promotion to be a General Manager of a NFL team, then turned it down, has a whiff of douchebaggery to it. Is it really the case that he wasn't going to get a raise with the Pats simply by getting interviewed by other teams, that the Pats said, "well, if you want a raise you'll have to show us you can get a job someplace else"? And, that's the kind of organization he wants to go back to and will turn down a GM job to do it?

    Or, maybe Krafty was handing him an extra $25K when he got back off the plane in Boston from sunny Miami saying, "You done good, Caserio....you done real good!"

    I dunno there are a lot of finheaven posters who are convinced this was a short con or something but that's probably because they can't fathom any reason why someone would turn down a job where you were GM in name only. I'd rather be 2nd in command than sharing power with 2 other people. You only get so many chances to be an NFL GM and this Miami job has career killer written all over it.

  8. #48
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Posts
    17,235
    Money talks bulll**** walks.

  9. #49
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,861
    Quote Originally Posted by fnordcircle View Post
    I dunno there are a lot of finheaven posters who are convinced this was a short con or something but that's probably because they can't fathom any reason why someone would turn down a job where you were GM in name only. I'd rather be 2nd in command than sharing power with 2 other people. You only get so many chances to be an NFL GM and this Miami job has career killer written all over it.
    Then why interview for it?



    I agree with everything you said. Why take a job where you knew you'd be #2 or a "paper tiger" GM in a situation where Dawn Aponte has the owner's ear more than you do? That's why my question simply is, why interview for the position when everyone knows that's the situation? Why fly down there, go through the interviews, build yourself up to ownership to the point that they extend you an offer.....and then you say no? The only answer I have is that it's some kind of con.

    Every time I interview someone in my profession (I do this several times a year) I ask questions like, "Why do you want this position?" and "Are you excited about this opportunity? What do you like about it?" Caserio had to be blowing smoke up their ***. I can't imagine an organization extending an offer to a guy who they didn't think was interested in the job. He had to have said something like, "This is a great opportunity for me. I'd be excited to join the Dolphins. I'm ready to be a GM and this is the right situation." I mean, I'm just using common sense here. If I had any indication that a guy wasn't FULLY invested in the job, that he was lukewarm on taking the position then why would I even want him? I wouldn't offer a job to a guy who I felt wasn't really interested in it and eager to perform it well. Heck, even the Browns situation looks better than this.....guys were removing their names from consideration after the first interview and before any offer was made. They weren't sitting, waiting for an offer to be extended and then saying, "Psyche! Take this job and shove it. I don't want it."

    This just really smells bad, man. Am I really reading it wrong???

  10. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Then why interview for it?



    I agree with everything you said. Why take a job where you knew you'd be #2 or a "paper tiger" GM in a situation where Dawn Aponte has the owner's ear more than you do? That's why my question simply is, why interview for the position when everyone knows that's the situation? Why fly down there, go through the interviews, build yourself up to ownership to the point that they extend you an offer.....and then you say no? The only answer I have is that it's some kind of con.

    Every time I interview someone in my profession (I do this several times a year) I ask questions like, "Why do you want this position?" and "Are you excited about this opportunity? What do you like about it?" Caserio had to be blowing smoke up their ***. I can't imagine an organization extending an offer to a guy who they didn't think was interested in the job. He had to have said something like, "This is a great opportunity for me. I'd be excited to join the Dolphins. I'm ready to be a GM and this is the right situation." I mean, I'm just using common sense here. If I had any indication that a guy wasn't FULLY invested in the job, that he was lukewarm on taking the position then why would I even want him? I wouldn't offer a job to a guy who I felt wasn't really interested in it and eager to perform it well. Heck, even the Browns situation looks better than this.....guys were removing their names from consideration after the first interview and before any offer was made. They weren't sitting, waiting for an offer to be extended and then saying, "Psyche! Take this job and shove it. I don't want it."

    This just really smells bad, man. Am I really reading it wrong???
    Any psyche reference is a good one.

    The only other thing I can think would be if the second set of interviewers gave him new information that he didn't otherwise know, along with the offer. You need to draft Gloria Estefan's nephew no later than the third. You need to buy marlins season tickets. Something kinky like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Then why interview for it?
    I guess I just assumed the specifics of the power structure weren't discussed until the interview. I've never interviewed for a big time job like that so I wouldn't know what gets shared and what doesn't. Beyond that negotiation is always a part of these things so maybe Caserio thought he could leverage his time in NE for greater power.

    Or maybe Caserio just wanted a pay raise from NE and didn't even really want the Miami job like I said earlier.

    Those two things sound much more plausible than the idea that an up and coming guy like Caserio would ruin his chances to work for a franchise in the future just because Belichick bid him to do so especially when it seems highly unlikely that any sensitive information would be shared. Miami might be a train wreck in a lot of ways right now but it would take a special kind of stupid to share the team draft board with a guy you might not even want to hire who plays for a division rival.

  12. #52
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    I said it before and I will say it again....When the GM is not over the Head Coach and the Head Coach can circumvent the GM because they have a direct line to the owner, that's a big problem. I can't think of ANY respected football executives that would be o.k. with that kind of organizational structure.

    Couple this with the facts that Dawn Aponte is their VP of football operations and they have to inherit Joe Philbin as their HC....what established GM/football executive would want to step into that situation???

    I also wonder if the Dolphins have any pending discipline coming from the NFL in the wake of this Martin/Incognito NFL investigation....I don't recall hearing the results of that investigation reported anywhere yet, that's just something else for any potential GM to think about.

    I remember last off-season when all the media parasites were talking about how nobody wanted the Jets GM job because we were taking our time and being diligent in our candidate search, where is all the press around this circus sideshow??
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-26-2014 at 09:26 AM.

  13. #53
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Posts
    20,598
    Here are some good insights to the mountain of problems surrounding the Dolphins:

    After meetings and negotiations and much flying on his helicopter, Ross decides he wants to demote general manager Jeff Ireland. Ross had to offer a demotion because he had told Ireland multiple times this season his job was safe -- including only days before proposing the demotion. So Ireland declines this wonderful offer and gets a seven-figure settlement to mutually agree to part ways with the Dolphins.

    Then we find out Ireland and coach Joe Philbin and executive VP Dawn Aponte weren't playing nice together much of the season. Oh, Philbin and Aponte were on the same page, but they were squarely aligned against Ireland. Office politics come to life in the NFL.

    Then Ross asked Philbin to do what everyone on the planet knew needed done and get rid of offensive coordinator Mike Sherman because the Miami offense was about as effective as a Band-Aid for treating a gunshot wound much of the season and particularly during the playoff push that fizzled. And Philbin resisted! He didn't want to fire his friend Sherman.

    Obviously, someone convinced Philbin to pull the trigger or perhaps Sherman volunteered to go -- who knows and who cares. But the fact the head coach didn't see the problem about 5,498,396,992 other people saw speaks volumes.

    Following so far? We haven't even gotten to the pratfalls of the current general manager search yet.

    The Dolphins decided they're not going to interview the most experienced people. They didn't interview or even show nterest in Scott Pioli primarily because Carl Peterson, who is Ross's GM whisperer, hates Pioli for what the former Kansas City general manager said about Peterson and did in KC after Peterson was fired there years ago.

    Peterson did, however, identify several men he was familiar and comfortable with and brought them in for interviews. Peterson brought in Ray Farmer and Lake Dawson and both were tapped as finalists.

    But both did not interview because Farmer became the public face of misgivings about the Dolphins so many others around the NFL share privately: Farmer was uncomfortable with the Dolphins structure and some of the people in that structure.

    So everyone else apparently sees something strange about having a general manager, head coach and executive VP answering to no one other than an owner who is absentee. Awesome, so the guy who isn't around decides who is right or wrong when things get sideways -- and for the Dolphins they seemingly always get sideways.

    Many NFL people also see this job as one where the new GM is already the odd man out because the head coach and executive VP are already aligned and, by the way, that alliance helped usher out the last GM.

    What was it Nick Saban would often say? "The best prediictor of future behavior is past behavior."

    Ross, of course, probably doesn't recognize he has a problem. He had the problem in Janaury 2012 when he tried to hoist an unproven general manager on a proven coach and was surprised and disappointed when the proven coach -- Jeff Fisher -- didn't go for it. Fisher turned Ross down cold when he was offered the job.

    So did Ross learn? Oh, yes he did, but not the way anyone with sense would hope.

    Ross obviously understood that attempting to hoist an unproven coach on a proven GM would not fly this time. So rather than solve the problem on the front end by eliminating the unproven coach or offering a proven GM authority over the unproven coach, the owner went for this backended solution:

    Let's hire an unproven GM who will accept the unproven coach. After all, it worked when he hired the unproven coach to go with our last unproven GM.

    Genius!

    What Ross obviously didn't count on is that his organization now has a reputation league-wide and it is not good, folks.
    Here is the link to the full article, this is a pretty good read from Armando Salguero one of the Phins beat writers.

    http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolph...atriots-d.html

    Here is something else that surfaced regarding Ireland & Aponte:

    "Ross didn't fire Ireland, he proposed that Ireland report to Aponte."

    "What Fox's Alex Marvez reported on WQAM and the Sun Sentinel confirmed was that Ross' proposal had Ireland answering to Aponte. Imagine if Ireland agreed to that. Imagine the mess this front office would remain heading into next season."


    http://touch.sun-sentinel.com/#story...0126-20140125/

    This seals Ross as the biggest joke in the NFL. Not only couldn't Ross identify that Ireland needed to be jettisoned for his performance through the years, his solution was to keep Ireland on board, but have the GM report to the cap specialist in some ****ed up organizational structure.

    I know some people will say that Ross did this to force Ireland to quit, but I don't buy this for a second considering how badly he has bungled every move he has tried to make.

    Ross is a man so completely clueless that there truly feels as if there is no hope to come out of this malaise. And what's worse, for whatever reason Ross doesn't appear to see the problems with his approach or learn lessons from the past. He just keeps on making the same mistakes year after year.

    Our best hope now is that Philbin somehow becomes Don Shula over night, because if Ross is forced to lead yet another HC search, I can't fathom how he will bungle that...
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 01-26-2014 at 10:29 AM.

  14. #54
    Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Manalapan, NJ/Boca Raton, Fl
    Posts
    15,569
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Holy ****! If that's true, it is simply amazing.

    I couldn't imagine a guy flying down there, interviewing, going through the process and then getting the job....only to refuse it!

    This once again makes Bill Belichick look like he sent a Trojan Horse into a competitor's inner circle to sift out information and bring it back to New England...lol....simply nuts!
    I can, you go to find out about the FO, ownership etc on an interview. You are on a fact finding mission just as the interviewers are. Don't know what they do that screws everything up but they seem to have the same problems when they could't give away the HC job. They couldn't get the HC they wanted, had to give it to Joe Philbin, the only person who would take the job.

    Even Shotty turned them down, thats pretty bad.
    Last edited by Jet Nut; 01-26-2014 at 10:23 AM.

  15. #55
    Aaron Wilson@RavensInsider
    Report: Dolphins hire Dennis Hickey as GM | National Football Post http://shar.es/UIvDY

    Adam Schefter
    @AdamSchefter

    Like Pats personnel man Nick Cesario, Titans VP Lake Dawson turned down offer today to become Dolphins GM. Dennis Hickey, Omar Khan remain.


    Anyone know if he is related to Mike Hickey, who ran the Jets drafts in the mid-late 80's?

  16. #56
    The list keeps growing:

    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Like Pats personnel man Nick Cesario, Titans VP Lake Dawson turned down offer today to become Dolphins GM. Dennis Hickey, Omar Khan remain.

  17. #57

  18. #58
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    5,317
    Looks like they got their guy, Dennis Hickey from (Tampa Bay Director of Player Personnel):

    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m
    Dolphins hired Dennis Hickey as their GM, as @ArmandoSalguero reported.

  19. #59
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,861
    Quote Originally Posted by tmertz View Post
    The list keeps growing:

    Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter
    Like Pats personnel man Nick Cesario, Titans VP Lake Dawson turned down offer today to become Dolphins GM. Dennis Hickey, Omar Khan remain.
    Crazy. They really couldn't give it away!?!?!? Offered the job to 2 different guys and had them turn it down before finally giving themselves a Hickey!

  20. #60
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Posts
    9,081
    Inheriting Philbin as a coach and answering to a butch, no one looking to succeed is taking that.

    Hickey is just cashing a paycheck for a few years.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us