Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Martavis Bryant WR Clemson.

Hall Of Fame

Martavis Bryant WR Clemson.

Of all the WRs that are in the draft right now I think this kid is going to shoot up the draft boards more than any other one after the combine. He is going to test really well at the combine. He is 6'4 1/2" 200 pounds and is running sub 4.4 40s right now in his work outs. He can easily carry another 10-15 pounds on him, and he plans on doing that post combine. He was a little inconsistent but has huge upside in the NFL. He could get over drafted much like Stephen Hill was, but if he is there in the 4th round I would have no issue in drafting him there.

All Pro
    so might this kid also.

L'Damian Washington Missouri WR

All League
    Totally agree, when all the juniors start showing off their talents draft boards are going
    to change drastically

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

comparing to hill = scary to draft

All Pro
    Stephen Hill like Austin Howard before him and Brandon Moore before him is gonna make many a Jet fan eat Crow before his days with the NFL are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Stephen Hill like Austin Howard before him and Brandon Moore before him is gonna make many a Jet fan eat Crow before his days with the NFL are over.
    I used to believe this but im really starting to worry that he just doesnt get it (believe me I want to be wrong and the 3rd year is when many WRs make the leap)

He has not improved his catching whatsoever since he came into the league. He routinely jumps with his whole body and attempts to catch the ball with his chest (in a basket) rather then reaching with his arms/hands.

I do think he will benefit from Geno being more compfortable and having an extra second to go through his reads and look deep, but Hill's fundamentals really worry me.

Hall Of Fame
    Stephen Hill was a second round draft pick, his expectations were much different than Howard and Moore. If Hill was an UDFA he probably isn't on the Jets roster for this coming season.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Totally agree, when all the juniors start showing off their talents draft boards are going
    to change drastically
    I look at a kid like Donte Moncief from Ole' Miss, he is considered a 3rd to 4th round prospect right now. He is 6'3" 226 and runs really well. When you watch him play he looks a late first round early second round talent. The guy's production dipped a little this season because Ole' Miss brought in the top WR recruit in the country in Laquon Treadwell, but still had good production. If Moncrief is there with the Jets second 3rd round pick, I run to the podium and take him.

All League
    I hope you're right, at this point I'm not sure at all

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Stephen Hill was a second round draft pick, his expectations were much different than Howard and Moore. If Hill was an UDFA he probably isn't on the Jets roster for this coming season.
    I completely agree, but is it the fault of the player that he was drafted higher than he was supposed to be. Hill has talent, but his production didn't warrant the selection.

The guy is 22, and since he was drafted where he was, it gives him the time to develop he would not have had as an UDRFA.

If a guy like clyde Gates can make an NFL roster, Hill will get a shot to fail.

I think he will succeed if he can stay healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    I completely agree, but is it the fault of the player that he was drafted higher than he was supposed to be. Hill has talent, but his production didn't warrant the selection.

The guy is 22, and since he was drafted where he was, it gives him the time to develop he would not have had as an UDRFA.

If a guy like clyde Gates can make an NFL roster, Hill will get a shot to fail.

I think he will succeed if he can stay healthy.
    I think the fact that Clyde Gates was on the Jets roster speaks to just how bad the Jets WR situation was. Gates doesn't sniff an NFL roster unless a team is flat out desperate and in really bad shape.

My biggest issue with Hill that makes me think he will not become the receiver he was drafted to be is that he needs to fundamentally change the way he catches the ball. He can run a deep route where you throw the ball out in front of him and he can make that catch. The problem is that he doesn't catch the ball when being contested, doesn't get those 50/50 balls, doesn't go up in the air to get the ball, and for a guy with his attributes plays more like a 5'9" receiver.

All Pro
    The thing that i liked about Hill is what i saw that 1st yr when he was healthy. Yes, he dropped way too many balls, but when he was healthy he got opened easilly, against everyone. He hasn't been healthy since and he needs the experience.

I look at a kid like Donte Moncief from Ole' Miss, he is considered a 3rd to 4th round prospect right now. He is 6'3" 226 and runs really well. When you watch him play he looks a late first round early second round talent. The guy's production dipped a little this season because Ole' Miss brought in the top WR recruit in the country in Laquon Treadwell, but still had good production. If Moncrief is there with the Jets second 3rd round pick, I run to the podium and take him.
    All of your thoughts about this draft have been swimming around in my head the same way. Moncrief would be a perfect complement to beckham, if he was our guy in the 1st. There are so many combos worth talking about if were gonna double dip. That would be a very interesting one.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    All of your thoughts about this draft have been swimming around in my head the same way. Moncrief would be a perfect complement to beckham, if he was our guy in the 1st. There are so many combos worth talking about if were gonna double dip. That would be a very interesting one.
    You could take Lee in the first and then come back and take Niklas and Moncrief in the 3rd. That would be a really nice set of weapons for Geno to play with.

The NY Jets talent on offense also contributed to Hills struggles.
    He was really young, really raw & he needed other players to take some of the heat off of him, but, instead, everyone got injured, we never had a healthy group of WRs for 2 years now.
    When defenses can focus on just 2 things to stop in an offense & your a target, you end up with multiple concussions.
    Hill has taken some really nasty shots over the last 2 years. The Titans safety should have been thrown out of the game for his hit.
    Hill just wasn't ready to be a #2 receiver let alone a #1.
    His injuries have given us this one step forward, two steps back career.
    My belief is that with a revamped offense, where Hill is & no longer can be the focus of a secondary, he's gonna be a pain in the Azz as a 3rd, 4th option.
    Our WRs played in a fishbowl last year, defenses just doubled up the threats & abused us. If MM has players like Decker, Evans or Ebron, Hill will be a guy that now is covered by a 3rd corner or a safety gets stuck with him.
    Hill should have been a developmental 4th rounder, unfortunately for Jet fans Tanny actually " traded up" for him, making the expectations even higher for a kid that had way too much to learn after mediocre success in college.

I want to have hope for hill but multiple games with 0 catches doesn't inspire confidence in me. I want him to succeed so bad and I'm rooting for him but the doubters have reason to not believe.

Veteran
    Of all the WRs that are in the draft right now I think this kid is going to shoot up the draft boards more than any other one after the combine. He is going to test really well at the combine. He is 6'4 1/2" 200 pounds and is running sub 4.4 40s right now in his work outs. He can easily carry another 10-15 pounds on him, and he plans on doing that post combine. He was a little inconsistent but has huge upside in the NFL. He could get over drafted much like Stephen Hill was, but if he is there in the 4th round I would have no issue in drafting him there.
    Bumping this one up.

Just watched some of his film and he is an intriguing prospect too say the least. Big lean kid that can catch the ball and has the jets, but the frustrating part is with his speed the separation isn't there all the time. I blame some of it on the QB's throws, and the fact that he is green at the position. He will definitely need some good coaching in the pros but I see alot of upside. Too bad we have Lal.

You have anymore info on him? From what I've seen so far I agree he could, and probably will shoot up the board.

I think the fact that Clyde Gates was on the Jets roster speaks to just how bad the Jets WR situation was. Gates doesn't sniff an NFL roster unless a team is flat out desperate and in really bad shape.

My biggest issue with Hill that makes me think he will not become the receiver he was drafted to be is that he needs to fundamentally change the way he catches the ball. He can run a deep route where you throw the ball out in front of him and he can make that catch. The problem is that he doesn't catch the ball when being contested, doesn't get those 50/50 balls, doesn't go up in the air to get the ball, and for a guy with his attributes plays more like a 5'9" receiver.
    You'll know what the Jets think of Stephen Hill after they make some WR moves. If they bring in two guys to play significant snaps, that'll tell you all you need to know about Stephen Hill.

As far as his skills go, he doesn't have any. He's an athlete trying to play WR. People talk about "raw" ability with this guy. If being tall and running fast is raw ability, okay. But I don't see any raw WR ability. Benjamin from FSU has raw ability. Plenty of WR skills. He just needs some refinement.

Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    You'll know what the Jets think of Stephen Hill after they make some WR moves. If they bring in two guys to play significant snaps, that'll tell you all you need to know about Stephen Hill.

As far as his skills go, he doesn't have any. He's an athlete trying to play WR. People talk about "raw" ability with this guy. If being tall and running fast is raw ability, okay. But I don't see any raw WR ability. Benjamin from FSU has raw ability. Plenty of WR skills. He just needs some refinement.
    Taking a WR that has 29 catches in college in the 2nd round (plus, trading 2 picks) to move up was asinine. Tannys trade ups for Revis & Harris gave him a false sense of security.
    He blew the Ducasse pick too, taking a project from Umass that even had a language issue & wasn't very smart to begin with.
    Ducasse might get his walking papers this year if he doesn't get "IT". What a waste of time & energy by the Jets.
    Ducasse...fail, Hill...fail, Sanchez...fail.
    6-10, 8-8, expected, you can't miss that many high picks & in Hill and Sanchez it also cost you picks that you never know what they would have yielded?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    I think we should be looking at our draft of receivers (including TE) from this perspective. What combination of receivers/TE's will create the biggest strategic bang for the buck. Speed/possession/red zone... Lee or Beckham, combined with a Moncrief/Matthews or even ASJ/Niklas would be really nice. I'd probably want to go WR/TE/WR in this draft or TE/WR/WR if somebody like Ebron is available at #18. There are so many nice #3 receivers late in this draft that we should be fine.