Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ebron vs Amaro vs Seferian-Jenkins...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Ebron vs Amaro vs Seferian-Jenkins...

Any one of those three would upgrade the Jets, I spent some time watching their games and came away convinced who I think will make a bigger impact in the NFL.

If my eyes are correct, it is Ebron by a mile. Amaro works the unferneath zone and uses route running and moxie to get open, I think he will clock in the 4.8's I just don't see any evidence of that 4.5 speed people are claiming he posseses. I love his fiery temperament and his production at that level speaks for itself, but I just don't see anywhere near the explosiveness of Ebron or the effortless moving motion of ASJ.

As blockers, I think Amaro is the most willing of the three, but again, most of his blocks happen downfield against WR's in space. Jenkins is not very aggressive, he takes a lot of plays off and I just don't see the fire and intesity that Amaro plays with. If he had some heart Jenkins would be my number one, but too often he seems content to put the least amount of effort into it.

Ebron is a receiver trapped in a TE's body, he will be very hard to cover at the next level, and he is the only TE in this class who can take it the distance with regularity. He's not only fast, but he's very flexible too, not many 6.4 250 guys can twist their bodies and make behind the back catches, or lunge forward, catch with one hand, regain their balance and accelerate like Ebron can, the blocking is adequate not great.

So to wrap it up:

1) Ebron- Rare athletic talent in the Sharpe, Vernon Davis mold.

2) Amaro- Tough, feisty competitor who can be solid but will have a hard time replicating his college performance at the next level, he is a solid 2nd or 3rd round value to me.

3-Austin Seferian-Jenkins- A smooth tall target who is deceivingly fast and has a huge catching radius and will present tough matchup problems especially in the redzone, solid blocker but not intense enough for my taste in that regard, also got caught with a DUI and that cannot be ignored. Also a second to third round value, I would feel uneasy if we drafted him at 18, but if we traded down to 25, I'd feel better about it.

By the way, I would add that Zach Sudfeld is a guy who I would compare to Amaro, when you watch his college highlights you see a lot of the same traits, just not as big, but the motor's always revving high with Sudfeld and I see a bright future for him here.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO Ebron blows away every other TE prospect away this year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    This lost me when you projected Amaro as a 2nd round talent running a 4.8.

If he was really expected to run in the 4.8's he wouldn't even be in these discussions.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amaro and Ebron have both been clocked at 4.67 in the 40. ASJ is at 4.75. Sudfeld clocked at 4.71. FWIW.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    interesting ... I've seen a couple highlight vids that certainly whet my appetite on Amaro! I'd need to check more out on Ebron if he make such as impression on you to be significantly better!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by long island leprechaun View Post
    Amaro and Ebron have both been clocked at 4.67 in the 40. ASJ is at 4.75. Sudfeld clocked at 4.71. FWIW.
    People will be surprised when they see how athletic Amaro is at his size. Everyone thinks Ebron is some sort of an exceptional speed guy at TE, the reality is that he may only be a fraction faster than Amaro but is an inch and a half shorter and 15 pounds lighter. I will take Amaro or ASJ over Ebron any day.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah i'd like to have him as well. having a TE that can jump more than 6 inches (cumberland) and catch a ball without hurting himself (winslow) would be awesome. He'd probably outrun our #3 WR in theguise of our #1 Kerley.

Add him, another WR in the draft and Decker and you have something. IMO.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't care what the numbers say, Amaro nor ASJ can move like Ebron

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

If he was really expected to run in the 4.8's he wouldn't even be in these discussions.
    Not true. Brandon Pettigrew ran a 4.8 and went in the first round.

But yes, I'm pretty sure Amaro will run faster than that.

TEs don't go in the top 20, though. So it's likely that the Jets can trade down and still get the best TE in this class.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Then the question becomes would you draft Ebron @18, and over who

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont get too hung up on 40 times, they're relative. A man that is 250 and runs a 4.6 is difficult to defend against. To me, I've been on the Ebron in first round bandwagon for a week now because he's agile and makes great catches too. Wouldn't consider the other guys at 18 at all

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Don't care what the numbers say, Amaro nor ASJ can move like Ebron

Whats really good with this is he has flashed great blocking ability at times as well. He still needs plenty of work at it but most of the guys like this did little to no blocking in college and are unable to develop it in the NFL. This was one of the problems with Keller. It took him like 4 years just to become an ok blocker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fidelioion View Post

Why not? Amaro is 6.6 260 pounds, 4.8 is good speed for a guy that size. Besides, he's a very good route runner who uses head fakes, proper footing and leverage to get open.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's not what I see on tape and I watched complete games, not just highlights, Amaro is nowhere near the athlete Ebron is at least on tape. Running and jumping at tve combine, who knows, but on the field is what counts and Ebron shows a different quality that Amaro simply lacks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jets31 View Post
    Whats really good with this is he has flashed great blocking ability at times as well. He still needs plenty of work at it but most of the guys like this did little to no blocking in college and are unable to develop it in the NFL. This was one of the problems with Keller. It took him like 4 years just to become an ok blocker.
    Is the blocking information confirmed? That is my biggest concern with Ebron, that he will be good to split out or in the slot, but will not be able to be a good inline blocker.

We as Jet fans havent seen a true capable TE in 5+ years. Keller was barely a good receiver, for someone who couldnt block whatsoever. We need someone that can actually block and be a + receiver

On a side note, I read one scout that said ASJ is "lazy" which might explain why he takes plays off.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Is the blocking information confirmed? That is my biggest concern with Ebron, that he will be good to split out or in the slot, but will not be able to be a good inline blocker.

We as Jet fans havent seen a true capable TE in 5+ years. Keller was barely a good receiver, for someone who couldnt block whatsoever. We need someone that can actually block and be a + receiver

On a side note, I read one scout that said ASJ is "lazy" which might explain why he takes plays off.
    I haven't really read much about Ebron being a good blocker, or Amaro or ASJ for that matter.

Here are some of the knocks on Ebron:

WEAKNESSES: Still developing his body with room to add bulk and get stronger. Still learning how to use his size to his advantage. Needs to show more authority in his routes and is too easily redirected - needs to be more physical in this area to match up in tight spaces.

Needs to be more aggressive and strong at the catch point, especially in contested situations. Has his share of focus drops and needs to be more consistent finishing catches. Good length, but won't overwhelm defenders in the run game. Blocking technique needs developing - somewhat untested as an in-line blocker. Room to refine and sharpen his routes. Right shoulder injury in 2013.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    I haven't really read much about Ebron being a good blocker, or Amaro or ASJ for that matter.

Here are some of the knocks on Ebron:

WEAKNESSES: Still developing his body with room to add bulk and get stronger. Still learning how to use his size to his advantage. Needs to show more authority in his routes and is too easily redirected - needs to be more physical in this area to match up in tight spaces.

Needs to be more aggressive and strong at the catch point, especially in contested situations. Has his share of focus drops and needs to be more consistent finishing catches. Good length, but won't overwhelm defenders in the run game. Blocking technique needs developing - somewhat untested as an in-line blocker. Room to refine and sharpen his routes. Right shoulder injury in 2013.
    washington used ASJ as a blocker a lot, even in the passing game. it makes sense, 6'7" 275 he's built like a tackle

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cant wait View Post
    washington used ASJ as a blocker a lot, even in the passing game. it makes sense, 6'7" 275 he's built like a tackle
    To me I am not as concerned about their blocking ability at this point. If a kid is willing to put the effort in, you can teach him be an adequate blocker. What you can not teach is size, aggression and the ability to catch the ball in traffic. I would much rather have the bigger body TE that knows how to use his body position to make plays, and can be a true redzone threat.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    To me I am not as concerned about their blocking ability at this point. If a kid is willing to put the effort in, you can teach him be an adequate blocker. What you can not teach is size, aggression and the ability to catch the ball in traffic. I would much rather have the bigger body TE that knows how to use his body position to make plays, and can be a true redzone threat.

Amaro's a good football player, he plays with the right intensity, he stays glued and finishes blocks, wins most contested balls, but I just don't see him separate from anyone, he's a big power forward who knows how to box out, but he will find it even more difficult to separate from people at the next level. I just dont think he's good value at 18, definitely not BAP at 18 for us.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    i want Ebron and Sudfeld to be our 2 TE sets, bring in a vet blocking TE