Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Ebron vs Amaro vs Seferian-Jenkins...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Logan Thomas was the #1 rated TE of high school school class. In comparison, ASJ and Amaro were #2 and #3 respectively of theirs. Thomas went to VA Tech to play TE/WR and at some point was volun"told" into switching positions. The fact that he had to be approached about the change to QB is significant because usually you hear the reverse. A lot of times it's guys refusing to play anything but QB to the detriment of their NFL careers (see Tim Tebow). Even after the switch, Thomas was quoted as saying that "he still saw himself as a TE". It's fair to say that the VA Tech coaching staff managed to converted a blue chip TE prospect into a below average QB prospect. Thomas projects as a 6th-UDFA QB. If he does get drafted to play QB, it will strictly be on his potential given his size, athleticism and arm strength. Provided he still sees himself as a TE, he would be a very interesting developmental TE prospect. He would bring all of the size (6-6 260) and athleticism of the top 3 guys with the unique perspective of a having played QB. You also wouldn't have to waste a top pick on him.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Why ?

What is he going to do that we didn't get from Dustin Keller.

This cat is a liability at POA blocking. The Jets with Geno Smith is a run 1st team while he learns the NFL. We need a TE who can catch the ball, but most importantly, he must be able to BLOCK.

A TE who can't run block is just as useless to me on my team as an OT who can't run block.

Does anybody know my feelings on Brick Ferguson ?
    Agree with this. Ebron looks like a bigger version of Keller. He blocks no better, isn't tremendously physical either when fighting for the ball. Plays small for his size/frame. Just very fast and can make some circus catches.

He might be a dynamic pro, but I prefer Amaro and his bigger frame and close enough athleticism.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    Stiff? He moves well for a man that size.
    I stand by my opinion. There are 3-4 OLB's that move better than him. Geez, even Richardson is more fluid. Hips don't lie.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez! Where are you getting all this info? Ebron is 6.4 245 with room to grow, he looks more eager to block than a guy like Jenkins, watch some of his games. While he's not Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the blocking department, it doesn't mean he can't block. Amaro boxes out, runs good routes, but there is absolutely no separtion whatsoever, he looks slow on film. Ebron is like a receiver out there, he can stretch that seam and take away the safety, something Amaro will have a hard time doing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is Ebron against Miami, look at how well he blocks when they put him on the line against DE's. He gets on top of linebackers and safeties in a blink and puts a good hat on them. Look at him go up and make tough catches and get drilled. Whoever's spreading rumors about his catching over the middle or his blocking is obviously trying to drive his value down, might be the Jets for all you know.

Just look at his frame, he's chiseled looks nothing like Keller who was square and stumpy. Ebron looks the part, this guy looks like the prototype, so he's a half inch shorter and 5 pounds less than 6.5 250... big deal, in fact I want him exactly where he's at no need to gain a single pound and no TE in this draft will out jump him either. All this speculation is silly really, he is far and away the best TE in this draft and tge one with the highest upside.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4w3-rEZT1ws

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Jeez! Where are you getting all this info? Ebron is 6.4 245 with room to grow, he looks more eager to block than a guy like Jenkins, watch some of his games. While he's not Niklas or Fiedorowicz in the blocking department, it doesn't mean he can't block. Amaro boxes out, runs good routes, but there is absolutely no separtion whatsoever, he looks slow on film. Ebron is like a receiver out there, he can stretch that seam and take away the safety, something Amaro will have a hard time doing.
    Just because he's still running around after the whistle does not mean he's an eager beaver at the POA. When he plays inline, he's half the TE Jenkins is. He's got some Cook-style swagger on downfield routes, but he's hardly a physical machine against linebackers. You're vastly, and I do mean vastly, understating Jenkins' ability to block - instead zeroing in on his lack of flash when the game plays away from him. You can coach a guy to play to the whistle. That's hardly a reason to crucify him.

Ebron may or may not develop into a fantasy stud, but from and x's and o's standpoint, you can play Jenkins every down. Not sure that's the case with Ebron yet. While Ebron's speed allows him to find space and seperation downfield, Jenkins makes much more clean, natural high point catches with an opponent stapled to him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me and everyone with two eyes and half a brain has Ebron as the best TE in this draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah Ebron's terrified of going over the middle... yawnnn: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgY1-xjk4E

I don't see anywhere near this explosion and playmaking ability from any other TE in this draft, but keep talking nonsense Paradis, we're really paying attention to you.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Just because he's still running around after the whistle does not mean he's an eager beaver at the POA. When he plays inline, he's half the TE Jenkins is. He's got some Cook-style swagger on downfield routes, but he's hardly a physical machine against linebackers. You're vastly, and I do mean vastly, understating Jenkins' ability to block - instead zeroing in on his lack of flash when the game plays away from him. You can coach a guy to play to the whistle. That's hardly a reason to crucify him.

Ebron may or may not develop into a fantasy stud, but from and x's and o's standpoint, you can play Jenkins every down. Not sure that's the case with Ebron yet. While Ebron's speed allows him to find space and seperation downfield, Jenkins makes much more clean, natural high point catches with an opponent stapled to him.
    Having a TE the size of an OT makes the running game more versatile. Definitely true

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me and everyone with two eyes and half a brain has Ebron as the best TE in this draft.
    Ya? just like everyone with two sets of eyes saw Gresham as the best TE over Jimmy Graham. And Gronk. And Hernandez.

Oh yeah Ebron's terrified of going over the middle... yawnnn: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5GgY1-xjk4E

I don't see anywhere near this explosion and playmaking ability from any other TE in this draft, but keep talking nonsense Paradis, we're really paying attention to you.
    You really debase these discussions into a pissing contest, don't you. Ebron didn't get a first round grade and an ocean of love by being sh*tty. Posting another highlight reel is supposed to do what? Prove he isn't horrible? I've never said he's going to suck, nor have I have uttered the words bust. Showing me a collage of footage of him getting flexed out, and a free release downfield isn't proving me wrong. Does he have explosive playmaking ability? Sure. Does that make him the best fit for the New York Jets in 2014? One could argue. I feel this team would benefit more from ASJ being on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by legler82 View Post
    Me like.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Pot calling the kettle black, you're the one that has a hundred different feuds here. I call it like I see it and unlike you I watch complete games, the highlights show Ebron going up the middle with no fear but if you watch his complete games you'd see him doing the same with regularity. He doesn't take plays off and drifts like Jenkins. I still like Jenkins but nit better than Ebron and certainly not in the first round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

He's definitely explosive and a playmaker, but plays like a big WR just like Keller, who probably is just as fast or faster.

A nice player for sure and I wouldnt cry if we picked him, but I'd prefer the big red zone target - 6'6-6'7 type - like gronk, graham... It's their size that make them hard to cover more so than speed (they are plenty fast but not faster than cbs) in the NFL. Everyone can run in the nfl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    He's definitely explosive and a playmaker, but plays like a big WR just like Keller, who probably is just as fast or faster.

A nice player for sure and I wouldnt cry if we picked him, but I'd prefer the big red zone target - 6'6-6'7 type - like gronk, graham... It's their size that make them hard to cover more so than speed (they are plenty fast but not faster than cbs) in the NFL. Everyone can run in the nfl.
    +100

That's why an Evans/ASJ combo would be pretty intriguing with receivers like Maclin/Kerley/Jones
    Those big tall dudes could bail Geno out, especially along the sidelines & Endzone when you just throw it where they are the only ones that can get it or it goes out of bounds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ebron owning some DE on a block

of the consensus top 3 TE's, none are great blockers, but it would put it 1-ASJ, 2 Ebron and 3 Amaro and Amaro is a distant 3rd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Ebron owning some DE on a block

of the consensus top 3 TE's, none are great blockers, but it would put it 1-ASJ, 2 Ebron and 3 Amaro and Amaro is a distant 3rd.
    None are great blockers because they have not been asked to be blockers. They are on the field to catch passes and make plays, not be an inline blocker. Way too much is made out of a TE's blocking ability coming out of college, if you are taking a TE high in the draft you are not drafting him for his blocking ability but rather for his receiving ability. Blocking is about effort and technique, something that can be taught once they get into an NFL camp. Of all the top TEs in the NFL right now, which ones are really great blockers? Give me the guy who can run down the seam and catch balls with safeties and LBers hanging on him and I will teach him how to block.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else like Crockett Gilmore in rnds 6/7?

A.C. Leonard?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

A.C. Leonard?
    In the newest mock I'm working on. I had us double dipping at TE with Crockett Gilmore and Arthur Lynch in the later rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

A.C. Leonard?
    What about Grimble????

If I had to decide between Ebron at 18 or Grimble in the 5th, I take Grimble in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-18-2014 at 02:45 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of all the positions on the team TE is the one I'd be most upset about spending a 1st round pick on. When was the last time a 1st round TE made an impact on a mediocre team? The Jets history of 1st round TE's has been filled with disasters from Jonny Mitchell to Becht to Brady. I haven't researched this but where is the evidence that spending a 1st rounder on a TE is a solid investment? I'll pass and wait to see which one of these guys drops to the middle rounds.