Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Martin/Incognito Texts Released

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Martin/Incognito Texts Released

I know everyone is tired of this crap but it is the offseason and it is the Dolphins looking bad so...

From PFT

With the Ted Wells report expected to be released later this week, someone finally has leaked to the media the text messages exchanged over a period of months betweenJonathan Martin and Richie Incognito.

Presumably, the leak came from Incognito or someone close to him, because the text messages tend to support the notion that Incognito and Martin were friends. Moreover, nothing in the Incognito text messages suggests harassment or bullying of Incognito.

The Big Lead had gotten the goods, and I’ve taken a look through them all. The major takeaways appear below:

1. Incognito accuses Martin of being gay in multiple text messages. It’s difficult to tell whether Incognito is joking, or whether he believed Martin to be gay. Martin’s actual or perceived sexuality has been a lingering (but largely unspoken) explanation for the decision of Dolphins players to allegedly single him out. After reading all of the message, it appears Incognito is joking about Martin being gay.

2. Martin declines to pay $6,000 for a trip to Las Vegas, but Incognito seems to be fine with it. “It’s all good,” Incognito says. “Let me know if u need anything.”

3. At the time left tackle Jake Long chose to sign with the Rams over the Dolphins, Incognito texted that former G.M. Jeff Ireland “didn’t make him feel welcome.” (That’s unrelated to the Martin-Incognito case, but it helps explain why Long took a lesser deal to go to St. Louis.)

4. At one point, Incognito asks Martin if Martin went to Mike Pouncey’s house after going to a bar. Martin says he didn’t, saying “No drugs for me rest of season.” That comment could attract the NFL’s attention on the question of whether multiple members of the team had engaged in illegal use of drugs, recreational or otherwise.

5. The messages reflect a genuine friendship, even after Martin left the team in late October. Incognito repeatedly reached out to Martin following his exit, culminating with this message on October 29, the day after Martin exited the locker room: “What’s up dude Glad to hear Ur ok I’m here if you ever need to talk. I’ve been through enough sh-t myself to understand.”

Several hours later, Incognito texts, “I miss Ur stinky armpits.” On November 1 (three days later), Incognito texts, “How u doing buddy? Feeling better?? I miss us.”

Martin promptly responds, saying: “Wassup man? The worlds gone crazy lol I’m good tho congrats on the win.”

Says Incognito in response, two minutes later: “Thanks dude It’s unbelievable all the attention this is getting. All that’s important is that you feel better and know we miss u dude.”

Says Martin, that same minute: “Yeah I’m good man. It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all it’s just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little. Btw… Never check yourself into a mental hospital.”

Incognito responds two minutes later, acknowledging that he once indeed checked himself in to a mental-health facility: “I hear ya It’s a lot to take in I’ve checked myself in before I had to threaten to beat everyone up for them to let me out. Not fun.”

The back-and-forth continues a bit longer. Several hours later, Incognito sends to Martin a link to the ESPN story that places blame on Incognito for Martin’s situation. “What’s up with this?” Incognito asks.

“I got nothing to do with it man I haven’t said anything to anyone,” Martin says.

The last three messages come from Incognito, with no response from Martin. Incognito says, “I heard it’s all coming from Ur agent? I need you buddy I’m getting killed in the media. Bro can we talk? The dolphins are talking about releasing me.”

That’s the end of the text messages. Martin, possibly acting on advice from an agent or his lawyer, cut off all communication with Incognito. Based on the picture painted by the text messages, however, it may have been too late, if the goal was to suggest that Incognito subjected Martin to repeated behavior that Incognito knew or should have known was unwelcome.

In other words, it’s going to be very hard to persuade anyone that Incognito behaved inappropriately, based on the text message. Richie was simply being Richie, and Martin voluntarily interacted with him over an extended period of time before suddenly walking away from the team — with no warning in the text messages that Martin was about to snap.

Bottom line? Whatever Martin hopes to prove, the text messages don’t help.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 02-04-2014 at 07:32 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's insane. Either there's a lot more that the public is unaware of, which doesn't make sense, or it's predominantly media driven.

I can see the drug comments snowballing into something separate.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    That's insane. Either there's a lot more that the public is unaware of, which doesn't make sense, or it's predominantly media driven.

I can see the drug comments snowballing into something separate.
    Apparently they go to Pouncey's house for the drugs. I think the Pounceys are going to go down real soon. Ties to Hernandez, drugs and rumors about weapons stuff.

I am sure this is only one layer of the onion but you know as well as I do whenever there is a perceived racial element things become a lightning rod for the media. Then there was the gay stuff. Media loves stuff like this.

Here is a link to all the texts if anybody is interested: http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/her...dly-exchanged/ or http://usatthebiglead.files.wordpres...02/ritojm1.pdf

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Based on the facts presented here, any respect I had for Martin is now lost. This guy played a role in ruining his team's season, likely ending a man's career, and possibly launching an investigation into players who had nothing to do with the fact that he is a bonafide *****.

I don't see why he couldn't just quit. Just quit the team because you're a ***** and crawl back to your parents. I'd respect that a hell of a lot more than this.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow. I was totally in Martin's corner when the original bullying stories emerged but, based on this evidence, Incognito has been given a very raw deal.

Assuming there is nothing else out there, he's in the clear and has significant grounds for a legal case against Martin and/or the Dolphins.

Based on this evidence, I have to say....sign Richie!

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenWave View Post
    Based on the facts presented here, any respect I had for Martin is now lost. This guy played a role in ruining his team's season, likely ending a man's career, and possibly launching an investigation into players who had nothing to do with the fact that he is a bonafide *****.

I don't see why he couldn't just quit. Just quit the team because you're a ***** and crawl back to your parents. I'd respect that a hell of a lot more than this.
    At least it hurt the Dolphins but I think the media is just as guilty of running with and exploding a story with little to no evidence. There is no credibility in the media anymore, especially not in sport "journalism".

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    based on this evidence, Incognito has been given a very raw deal.
    And that d1ckhead Martin could have put this fire out the first day this crap started to explode....but he didnt.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Incognito

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean people decided someone's guilt right away based on media reporter and it turned out to be wrong?

That's a first.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, crazy indeed. As others have stated, there's most likely more to the story but this doesn't look good for Martin. I'll admit I was anti-Incognito on this one all along and it looks like I may have been wrong.
    Last edited by RageATL; 02-04-2014 at 10:26 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    You mean people decided someone's guilt right away based on media reporter and it turned out to be wrong?

That's a first.
    Hernandez did it.

Belicheat is guilty too.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Additional link for teh lazy, 1000 texts released -

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/03/her....0DX3EvWu.uxfs
    Last edited by Fishooked; 02-04-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: youre not the boss of me

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcoops View Post
    Hernandez did it.

Belicheat is guilty too.
    Actually, the prosecutions star witness has been deemed unreliable and the state won't use him.

And still no gun.

AH is gonna walk. You heard it here first.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like

That's a first.
    I guess the fact that Miami immediately jettisoned Incognito and Martin said nothing to dispel any of this....should have been our clue that this was all bull.

Amirite?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    In fairness to Martin it seems these texts were released by Incognito's camp so we should wait till we get the results of the investigation but it does seem to me like this was a completely media driven story that was propelled by Martin's handlers and parents. Hopefully Martin got the help he needed b.c I do think he had a bit of a breakdown for whatever reason.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are all racist homophobes. This could have been done judged by the fact that everyone that knew Richie seemed to think he was a good teammate, and a leader. Maybe think that this would go against the man's character. Instead the seriousness of the crime was more important than the actual facts. Thank God those texts came out. Do you think people will hold judgment now that they realize they could be completely wrong. Now sign this beast quickly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, the prosecutions star witness has been deemed unreliable and the state won't use him.

And still no gun.

AH is gonna walk. You heard it here first.
    Then he'll be hung on one of the other dozen or so murders. Just like the Incognito case. I'll go with the man's character assessment, and the film of him leaving with a gun, then no gun being found. Bellichick. Brady, and Hernandez are all well known douche bags.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Sign Incognito
    Ugh is it sad that I came away with the same conclusion?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    “I miss Ur stinky armpits.” -- Richie Ingonito

This may be the gayest story of 2013.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    “I miss Ur stinky armpits.” -- Richie Ingonito

This may be the gayest story of 2013.
    Not that there's anything wrong with that.