Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Projected Starters in'14: Aboushi/Campbell @ RG; Antonio Allen @ SS

All League

Projected Starters in'14: Aboushi/Campbell @ RG; Antonio Allen @ SS

Per roto:

ESPN New York reports the Jets hope either second-year OLs Oday Aboushi or William Campbell can step into a starting role at guard in 2014.
    That would seem to be awfully wishful thinking on the Jets' part. Aboushi was a fifth-round pick out of Virginia, where he played left tackle, last April, while Campbell played defensive tackle at Michigan and was converted to offensive line after being drafted in the sixth round. Neither played a single snap in 2013. The Jets would be better off re-signing RG Willie Colon to another one-year deal.
    Related: William Campbell

Source: ESPN New York

&

ESPN New York expects Jets S Antonio Allen to enter 2014 as a starter, "barring a significant acquisition."

Allen appeared in all 16 games as a second-year pro, making nine starts -- eight at strong safety and one at free safety. He was part of the problem when it came to defending the pass on the back end for the Jets, but Pro Football Focus gave him solid marks as a run defender. Allen played some linebacker in college at South Carolina, so his coverage skills are going to need polishing.

&

ESPN New York expects Stephen Hill's "scholarship" days to be over with the Jets.

Hill, the 43rd overall pick in the 2012 draft, has been a massive disappointment. He's going to have to earn his roster spot this summer. GM John Idzik didn't draft Hill, so his place on the roster is no longer a guarantee. Obviously quarterback issues haven't helped Hill, but he's been extremely injury- and mistake-prone as a pro. The Jets need to overhaul their receiving corps.

If they needed a guard why not draft one, instead of a tackle and a DE. This is the one, most quizzical part of last year's draft to me.

Ugh. Stop experimenting on the o-line, re-sign Colon and go after Asamoah. We NEED a solid o-line

Quote Originally Posted by JetsCrazey View Post
    Ugh. Stop experimenting on the o-line, re-sign Colon and go after Asamoah. We NEED a solid o-line
    agree. those guys should be the backups this coming year not starters.

I completely disagree about Antonio allen. He was money in coverage against TEs. (Gronk and Graham)

Hall Of Fame
    Given that those guys didn't get a sniff despite our struggles at LG why are we supposed to think they can start at RG this year?

We need "sure things" on the OL. Winters is still a question mark.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Hope this is just GM speak for negotiation purposes & predaft subterfuge

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Given that those guys didn't get a sniff despite our struggles at LG why are we supposed to think they can start at RG this year?

We need "sure things" on the OL. Winters is still a question mark.
    Looked better as the year went on, as well as the rest of the rookies

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Looked better as the year went on, as well as the rest of the rookies
    I assume you are talking about Winters b.c I don't think the other guys we ever active for a game. I liked the Winters pick and I know he started the year banged up but he was completely overmatched at times. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

I just don't want to go into the year with Winters on one side of Mangold and Aboushi/Campbell on the other. We have enough money to bring in someone as those guys continue to develop and learn.

Landry was far worse in coverage than allen was. So I'm more than OK with allen starting
    Let's hope that Winters and one of those rookies pan out.
    Side note- How good would we be if Stephen Hill emerged this year?? I hated the pick but I can only hope he has something beating in his chest.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I assume you are talking about Winters b.c I don't think the other guys we ever active for a game. I liked the Winters pick and I know he started the year banged up but he was completely overmatched at times. Hopefully he can continue to improve.

I just don't want to go into the year with Winters on one side of Mangold and Aboushi/Campbell on the other. We have enough money to bring in someone as those guys continue to develop and learn.
    Agreed - Winters looked absolutely overwhelmed during the year - hope he gets it together but we can't go into next season with just these dudes - we'll get killed.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by killu4what View Post
    I completely disagree about Antonio allen. He was money in coverage against TEs. (Gronk and Graham)
    I agree that Allen was $$$ against TEs (he was a "Spur" LB in @ SC) but there were times his lack of speed was evident when beat on deep routes by WRs or poor angles where he just didn't have that gear to make-up for it. I think he'd be more ideal as a SS. But in the end, simply put: ALLEN MAKES PLAYS. Whether it's getting sacks, pick-6s, blocked punts for TDs, Antonio Allen SIMPLY MAKES PLAYS when he's on the field. I hope Rex realizes this and DOES start #39.

I know Allen will only get better. I think he'll be the Jets' best value pick out of that '12 draft, but he does get exposed on the deep routes due to a lack of speed. Very reminiscent of old #21:

gree.jpg

Just seems like a hatchet job to me. Only the Jets coaches know the progress of the their development OL

Veteran
    I wish we had a thread where somebody would pick what parts of our squad we will replace via the draft as opposed to which ones via free agency.
    Well have to wait at least till mid May before these questions become easier to answer.

Resign Colon and go after Jon Asomoah. Kevin Boothe is another, cheaper option and is a decent pass-protecting RG.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Per roto:

ESPN New York reports the Jets hope either second-year OLs Oday Aboushi or William Campbell can step into a starting role at guard in 2014.
    That would seem to be awfully wishful thinking on the Jets' part. Aboushi was a fifth-round pick out of Virginia, where he played left tackle, last April, while Campbell played defensive tackle at Michigan and was converted to offensive line after being drafted in the sixth round. Neither played a single snap in 2013. The Jets would be better off re-signing RG Willie Colon to another one-year deal.
    Related: William Campbell

&

ESPN New York expects Jets S Antonio Allen to enter 2014 as a starter, "barring a significant acquisition."

Allen appeared in all 16 games as a second-year pro, making nine starts -- eight at strong safety and one at free safety. He was part of the problem when it came to defending the pass on the back end for the Jets, but Pro Football Focus gave him solid marks as a run defender. Allen played some linebacker in college at South Carolina, so his coverage skills are going to need polishing.

&

ESPN New York expects Stephen Hill's "scholarship" days to be over with the Jets.

Hill, the 43rd overall pick in the 2012 draft, has been a massive disappointment. He's going to have to earn his roster spot this summer. GM John Idzik didn't draft Hill, so his place on the roster is no longer a guarantee. Obviously quarterback issues haven't helped Hill, but he's been extremely injury- and mistake-prone as a pro. The Jets need to overhaul their receiving corps.
    I'm curious what this is based on, other than basic common sense.

I mean, of course the Jets hope one of those guys can step into a starting role at guard in 2014, but it doesn't mean they are counting on it. Colon tore his biceps in the last game, I'm guessing the Jets will have another guard besides Aboushi or Campbell on the roster next season. Literally any one of us could have written the same article and said, "The Jets hope Jeff Cumberland turns the corner and becomes Geno Smith's goto guy in the endzone in 2014". You don't need a quote, the Jets also hope that Geno Smith completes 65% of his passes and throws 6 INTs next season.

A 2nd year guy starts 9 games and "The Jets expect Jets S Antonio Allen to enter 2014 as a starter", well... again, he was a 2nd year guy, he started 9 games, including the final two (where he played well). Newsflash: The Jets also expect RB Chris Ivory to enter 2014 as a starter, barring a significant addition.

lol everyone wants the Jets to model the Seahawks and hit on late draft picks like Sherman and smith and Baldwin . But no one wants to take a chance on these guys Starting. I'm glad they are thinking of Aboushi inside at RG because his Problem is Heavy feet and sliding at Tackle where speed rushers kill him . His Positives as a guy with a strong Punch and playing to the Whistle fits with him going inside at RG. Campbell the limited time he got in PRE-season he is Strong and bigger than a OX but like any guy switching positions was getting killed with simple Stunts. I'm all for getting these young guys a chance and also bringing a hold the fort guy or resigning Colon.

All League
    I have no hope for Aboushi, but Campbell has a chance to become something IMO. He really has some great triangle numbers for a G, just not much experience. Maybe it is also wishful thinking because our last DT turned RG was a huge success and really hope to repeat it. But I am also don't believe the Jets are just completely content with this and will add another guy either via FA or the draft.

I don't believe for a second that one of those two will be starting at G for the Jets.

It's almost as if this guy wrote the article thinking the Jets are done with free agency. From now.

Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Hope this is just GM speak for negotiation purposes & predaft subterfuge
    Me too