Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!

Thread: How do the Steelers and Ravens have a higher draft pick?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

How do the Steelers and Ravens have a higher draft pick?

Jets, Ravens, and Steelers all have the same record 8-8, but the Ravens and Steelers beat the Jets in 2013 so shouldn't they have the higher pick?

Probably a dumb question and easy answer, my bad in advance.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Bandit View Post
    Jets, Ravens, and Steelers all have the same record 8-8, but the Ravens and Steelers beat the Jets in 2013 so shouldn't they have the higher pick?

Probably a dumb question and easy answer, my bad in advance.
    It goes by strength of schedule. The total winning percentage of the teams we played is the 1st tie breaker. Which I don't understand. Head to head should be the first one.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I could be wrong but I think the tiebreaker is strength of schedule. They had easier schedules (based on opponents winning % being lower) than us so technically their 8-8 seasons are considered worse even though they beat us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Strength of schedule. Weakest SOS picks earliest.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    But aren't the Jets a joke with a loser owner, and a glorified DC as a HC who lost the team back in 2011? Are not the Steelers, and the Ravens the best run franchises in the NFL? This must be some kind of a mistake. Better get someone to recheck that math.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's the same reason we were considered the 2nd place team in the AFC East with the same record as the Dolphins, and yet they pick lower than us.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This could easily be answered by some conspiracy wackos out there.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's Obama's fault.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    It goes by strength of schedule, but it will rotate every round. Meaning, the Jets will pick #17 in round 2, #16 in round 3, etc, and rotate with all the 8-8 teams.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-n-effect View Post
    It's Obama's fault.
    Yup

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by srobjets View Post
    Yup
    How is it not?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    But aren't the Jets a joke with a loser owner, and a glorified DC as a HC who lost the team back in 2011? Are not the Steelers, and the Ravens the best run franchises in the NFL? This must be some kind of a mistake. Better get someone to recheck that math.

Yup, it's called a down year for them, and a locker room celebration for us.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood Nosebleed View Post
    It goes by strength of schedule. The total winning percentage of the teams we played is the 1st tie breaker. Which I don't understand. Head to head should be the first one.
    Yup I remember in the 06 draft New Orleans had the same record as us (4-12) and they beat us, but they got the 2nd overall pick and we got the 4th overall. I wanted Bush and was mad how the order shook out.....good thing I wasn't the GO back then LOL

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ravens and Steelers have both won Super Bowl recently and have multiple division titles in the past decade.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Yup, it's called a down year for them, and a locker room celebration for us.
    Both of those teams are lousy right now. They were good. Now they have huge holes in a lot of positions, and a lot of money tied up in a few spots. They both overachieved as far as I'm concerned. They were not down years. The Jets are in better shape moving forward.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If it is any consolation we beat Miami in the last game of the season, knocked them out of the playoffs, finished with the same record and we are drafting before them in the 1st round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both of those teams are lousy right now. They were good. Now they have huge holes in a lot of positions, and a lot of money tied up in a few spots. They both overachieved as far as I'm concerned. They were not down years. The Jets are in better shape moving forward.

Disagree. They have legit QBs in place, we don't. They have SB winning coaches, we don't. They have strong ownership and proven front offices, we don't. The cap space is nice, but I'd trust it with those two organizations far more than ours. Other than our young D-line, I can't name one area of a football team/organization where the Jets are stronger than those two.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It goes by strength of schedule, but it will rotate every round. Meaning, the Jets will pick #17 in round 2, #16 in round 3, etc, and rotate with all the 8-8 teams.
    That is freaking awesome considering everyone talking about this draft claims the real value at WR will be in the 3rd round!
    Seems like the best round for us to be rotated to the 16 spot!

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    And how many superbowls have the jets won in recent memory?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Toooon View Post
    Disagree. They have legit QBs in place, we don't. They have SB winning coaches, we don't. They have strong ownership and proven front offices, we don't. The cap space is nice, but I'd trust it with those two organizations far more than ours. Other than our young D-line, I can't name one area of a football team/organization where the Jets are stronger than those two.
    Flacco is nowhere near Big Ben as far as QB play is concerned. I still think he stinks and that contract is gonna be awful much like Eli's is pretty crappy too. They are both hot and cold QBs in my mind. JMHO