Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't wait for free agency!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't wait for free agency!

This is where the rubber hits the road for what we do in the draft.
    It's gonna be fun to see how Idzik goes about his business.
    Will he try to solidify the safety spot? (Byrd?)
    Will he look for his killer OLB? (Orakpo, Phillips?) by the way I think Phillips from Denver is exactly what this Jet team is missing!
    Big time FA WR or semi injured value guys? Ie. Maclin, Rice ect.
    Any FA tight ends worth a look, Pitta?
    What about a FA RB that goes overlooked after their agent asks for way too much money & teams start getting closer to the cap, ie. Tate? Ivory & Tate would be a helluva combo!
    We are only a few weeks away from free agency. I believe the Jets will be methodical & patient, something we haven't seen here for a long time.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Will he look for his killer OLB? (Orakpo, Phillips?) by the way I think Phillips from Denver is exactly what this Jet team is missing!
    What about a FA RB that goes overlooked after their agent asks for way too much money & teams start getting closer to the cap, ie. Tate? Ivory & Tate would be a helluva combo!
    We are only a few weeks away from free agency. I believe the Jets will be methodical & patient, something we haven't seen here for a long time.
    Methodical and patient is a sure formula for at least 3 whiny threads from trolls every time a mediocre FA is signed by another team and 5 when it's one of our JAGs. Always a fun first month

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Methodical and patient is a sure formula for at least 3 whiny threads from trolls every time a mediocre FA is signed by another team and 5 when it's one of our JAGs. Always a fun first month
    I hear ya, I call them the "sign this beast" crew!
    Jets will not OVERPAY for anyone & why should they?
    We might have 12 picks, the team is very young, the Dline should be fantastic next year, Geno I think will work his azz off & be better for it.
    I'll have people call me crazy but I hate the idea of overpaying WRs (look at Detroit, when have they won anything?)
    Idzik isn't building a team that throws the ball 40 times!
    When I look at our defense, I see that we have huge holes at FS & OLB (Pass rusher)
    If Idzik signed Shaun Phillips & got Ha Ha Dix, we rework Cro , this defense could be REALLY, REALLY, GOOD! Milliner will be better after a full camp, Berry might make it back.
    Cro needs to take a long break & let his hip heal.
    I really think that Idziks makes offensive hay in the 2nd & 3rd rounds with these 3 picks. Could be a CJ, Matthews, De'Anthoney type of draft!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    There is definitely WR talent to spare in rounds 2-3. TE also probably so I'm fine with a defensive player at 18 if there's a strong BAP still on the board. This is a young team that's thin on the bench but one or two more drafts and we should be completely recovered from the talent depletion Tanny left us with. More likely two, but a really good offseason with a few smart FA pickups and an above average draft and I think I'd say we're okay. Then it really all boils down to the QB slot like always. But at least we can stop blaming it on lack of anything else.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    The rubber does meet the road for Idzik. All the moves he made in 2013 were predetermined by the actions of Tanny. This year he can spend money, different ball game. My hope is that free agency sets up the draft, by filling the major holes of WR,TE, OLB and Safety. When you look at Free Agents the list is not complete, over half the teams in the league are in Cap trouble so you will see some major cuts this month. I can't see Idzik spending money on high profile free agents like Orakpo and Byrd but I would have a lot of respect for him if he did, I think he has to be flexible in his approach. If free agency is successful for the Jets they can draft for best overall value and stay away from big reaches.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The one guy I would love to get perhaps more than any other is Jarius Byrd. A still relatively young, experienced player that is a ball hawk/turnover producer (forces a lot of fumbles).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It would be irresponsible for Idzik not to pursue at least Byrd, if not Orakpo also. These are players that perfectly fill in the missing pieces on our defense. Its Idziks job to get them here without breaking the bank, and satisfting the agents demands, How he does it, i don't know, but he has to go all out to try.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    It would be irresponsible for Idzik not to pursue at least Byrd, if not Orakpo also. These are players that perfectly fill in the missing pieces on our defense. Its Idziks job to get them here without breaking the bank, and satisfting the agents demands, How he does it, i don't know, but he has to go all out to try.
    The bulk of the free agency money on defense needs to be spent in the secondary this year. Pace can be signed on another cheap deal and with Barnes and Coples in place, OLB is not an area that needs big money spent on. Safety and Corner are much more pressing needs and getting a guy like Byrd would benefit this defense more. I can draft depth at OLB this year in the mid rounds.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The bulk of the free agency money on defense needs to be spent in the secondary this year. Pace can be signed on another cheap deal and with Barnes and Coples in place, OLB is not an area that needs big money spent on. Safety and Corner are much more pressing needs and getting a guy like Byrd would benefit this defense more. I can draft depth at OLB this year in the mid rounds.
    I mentioned Byrd first in my post. I agree he fits an area of greater need. Orakpo can do something Pace and Coples can't do, drop into coverage. It gives Ryan a ridiculous amount of flexibility. I don't think Orakpo will break the bank, considering his injury history.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I mentioned Byrd first in my post. I agree he fits an area of greater need. Orakpo can do something Pace and Coples can't do, drop into coverage. It gives Ryan a ridiculous amount of flexibility. I don't think Orakpo will break the bank, considering his injury history.
    Orakpo, even on a cheaper deal will cost in the 8-10 million range. There simply isn't a lot of guys like him that are going to be available in free agency. The Jets need a starting RT, RG, 2 WRs, TE and FS before they get to a guy like Orakpo. Rex has enough resources in the front 7 to make this defense work.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-05-2014 at 12:29 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    The one guy I would love to get perhaps more than any other is Jarius Byrd. A still relatively young, experienced player that is a ball hawk/turnover producer (forces a lot of fumbles).
    +1

Byrd, a WR, and depth at OL and/or LB and I'm satisfied.

Why is this thread in the draft forum?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orakpo, even on a cheaper deal will cost in the 8-10 million range. There simply isn't a lot of guys like him that are going to be available in free agency. The Jets need a starting RT, RG, 2 WRs, and FS before they get to a guy like Orakpo. Rex has enough resources in the front 7 to make this defense work.
    Howard is the only guy we'll have to spend real money on. Colon wee can get back cheap. Its hard for me to believe you would want to spend any money on the FA crop of receivers. Im not interested in any of those guys with all the draftable talent we'll be looking at

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    Good post.

I also think Idzik won't be like Tanny and showing up on the eve of FA and waiting in someones backyard knocking on the door at 12:01a. I think a few FA's will be signed before the Jets start signing players. Your right though, this board will go heywire once players we as fans want start to get plucked away.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    You mean this phillips?
    According to Pro Football Focus, Broncos DE/OLB Shaun Phillips only disrupted the quarterback on 47-of-443 pass rush snaps during the regular season.
    That's a sack, hit, or hurry on just 10.6 percent of his pass rush attempts. Despite posting ten sacks, Phillips' disruption rate ranks him No. 62 among all players who rushed the quarterback at least 250 times. He'll have his hands full on Sunday against the elusive Russell Wilson. Jan 31 - 1:56 PM

And not to mention he will be 33

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Good post.

I also think Idzik won't be like Tanny and showing up on the eve of FA and waiting in someones backyard knocking on the door at 12:01a. I think a few FA's will be signed before the Jets start signing players. Your right though, this board will go heywire once players we as fans want start to get plucked away.
    Considering Byrd played in the AFC east It would not surprise me if his agent isn't making inquiries about the Jets interest.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Howard is the only guy we'll have to spend real money on. Colon wee can get back cheap. Its hard for me to believe you would want to spend any money on the FA crop of receivers. Im not interested in any of those guys with all the draftable talent we'll be looking at
    So you want to go into the draft with just Kerley, Hill and Nelson at WR, and hope the draft falls your way where you can get 3 WRs that will play from day one? Why be content with a guy like Colon? You don't think the Jets would be better served upgrading that position? Who is going to play TE, Safety? Again, there are WAY more pressing needs than a guy like Orakpo. I am not sure how much money you think the Jets have, but it goes quick.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    So you want to go into the draft with just Kerley, Hill and Nelson at WR, and hope the draft falls your way where you can get 3 WRs that will play from day one? Why be content with a guy like Colon? You don't think the Jets would be better served upgrading that position? Who is going to play TE, Safety? Again, there are WAY more pressing needs than a guy like Orakpo. I am not sure how much money you think the Jets have, but it goes quick.
    If we sign Orakpo,;for the sake of argument],we won't have to spend a high pick on a Ford, or some other OLB. I don't have to tell you the crop of receivers in this years draft. Reach a little for Benjamin in the 1st. Trade up in the 2nd for Beckham. We would still have 7 or 8 picks to fill other needs. Going into the season with Benjamin, Beckham, Kerley, and Nelson, would make me very happy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we sign Orakpo,;for the sake of argument],we won't have to spend a high pick on a Ford, or some other OLB. I don't have to tell you the crop of receivers in this years draft. Reach a little for Benjamin in the 1st. Trade up in the 2nd for Beckham. We would still have 7 or 8 picks to fill other needs. Going into the season with Benjamin, Beckham, Kerley, and Nelson, would make me very happy.
    The point was that if you bring back Pace and have Barnes healthy again you do not NEED to use a high draft pick on an OLB either. Spend that money on a FS like Byrd, which fills a much larger need. Plus you have huge gaping holes at RG and RT that need money. You talk about reaching here and then trading up there for receivers, that is a bad strategy to go into the draft with.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orakpo and Byrd are expensive.

We already get after the quarterback and are heavily invested in doing so (not to mention, Mo Wilk will get a lot more money really soon).

Byrd is a hell of a player, but any top tier free agent will be overpaid - that is the market - and our decision will have to be, if we do go for a top tier free agent (whether it's Orakpo, Byrd or Decker) who are we willing to overpay?

Position, need, production and health will have to be assessed. For me, it's Decker. We need a WR more than anything else on this team. Decker is entering his prime and is scheme-diverese (Mayock ftw!). I'd rather draft and develop a safety under Rex and the same goes for rush LB.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post
    Orakpo and Byrd are expensive.

We already get after the quarterback and are heavily invested in doing so (not to mention, Mo Wilk will get a lot more money really soon).

Byrd is a hell of a player, but any top tier free agent will be overpaid - that is the market - and our decision will have to be, if we do go for a top tier free agent (whether it's Orakpo, Byrd or Decker) who are we willing to overpay?

Position, need, production and health will have to be assessed. For me, it's Decker. We need a WR more than anything else on this team. Decker is entering his prime and is scheme-diverese (Mayock ftw!). I'd rather draft and develop a safety under Rex and the same goes for rush LB.
    We've needed a ball hawking safety in this defense for years. Byrd is just what were looking for and a proven commodity. To me it would be foolish not to pursue him. As for overpaying him, lets see what shakes out first.we might not have to overpay for him or Orakpo. This is Ryan and Idziks chance to sell the Jets to these guys, get them in here at a resonable salary, for both sides.