Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't wait for free agency!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of TE, what about garret graham from the Texans.

He is big, young, and had good receiving numbers on a team with average (at best) QB play. He can also block better then any of the guys we currently have or have had (looking at you keller) in the last 5 seasons.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    We've needed a ball hawking safety in this defense for years. Byrd is just what were looking for and a proven commodity. To me it would be foolish not to pursue him. As for overpaying him, lets see what shakes out first.we might not have to overpay for him or Orakpo. This is Ryan and Idziks chance to sell the Jets to these guys, get them in here at a resonable salary, for both sides.
    Free agency doesn't work like that.

There are bargain free agents in the middle/bottom of their position, everyone towards the top gets overpaid.

You're not signing Byrd or Orakpo or Decker for what they're actually worth and definitely not for a "good deal".

Reasonable salaries are made by the Willie Colon's and Mike Goodson's of the world - on the other hand, the top 15-20 free agents are routinely overpaid every year.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SafetyBlitz View Post

There are bargain free agents in the middle/bottom of their position, everyone towards the top gets overpaid.

You're not signing Byrd or Orakpo or Decker for what they're actually worth and definitely not for a "good deal".

Reasonable salaries are made by the Willie Colon's and Mike Goodson's of the world - on the other hand, the top 15-20 free agents are routinely overpaid every year.
    If Byrd wasn't the kind of player he is, and if he didn't fill a glaring need on this defense, i would say pass. But were way under the cap, if Byrd isn't a player we would consider paying big money to, then we will never snag a big fish in FA. Were not talking Mario Williams money here, thats obscene.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If Byrd wasn't the kind of player he is, and if he didn't fill a glaring need on this defense, i would say pass. But were way under the cap, if Byrd isn't a player we would consider paying big money to, then we will never snag a big fish in FA. Were not talking Mario Williams money here, thats obscene.
    Landry got 4 years 24 million from the Colts - is Byrd a better player than him? Is he less of a health risk?

If I'm Byrd I won't take less than that - and I'd think I'd be entitled to more.

I don't want a 6+ million dollar a year safety when we can barely get first downs on the other side of the ball. I agree safety needs to be addressed, but there are bargain free agents and draft picks for that.

If HaHa Clinton-Dix is the best player on the board at 18, then take him, but don't shell out upwards of 6 million a year for a safety when your offense sucks and you have this young core of d-lineman you want to be able to afford. The more likely scenario is we sign a bargain FA safety and draft one in the mid rounds.

Byrd could command 8 million + a season, and for us, is he really going to make our team that much better? I think we could use that 8 million a year somewhere else - namely on offense - and get a better return, reflected in more wins.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the franchise tag price for a safety?
    That will give you an idea of what he & his agent want, but remember, you don't always get what you want. Much like Revis, Byrd was a Pita this year concerning the Bills but you know what? They are still trying to do everything to keep him!
    He's f*cking good!
    He's instinctive as hell! He causes fumbles & has great hands!
    If we find a bad azz rush LB this year, if we had Byrd back there he'd have chances to jump all over routes.
    No way Idzik doesn't look into Byrd, tremendously helps the jets & hurts a division opponent.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Landry got 4 years 24 million from the Colts - is Byrd a better player than him? Is he less of a health risk?

If I'm Byrd I won't take less than that - and I'd think I'd be entitled to more.

I don't want a 6+ million dollar a year safety when we can barely get first downs on the other side of the ball. I agree safety needs to be addressed, but there are bargain free agents and draft picks for that.

If HaHa Clinton-Dix is the best player on the board at 18, then take him, but don't shell out upwards of 6 million a year for a safety when your offense sucks and you have this young core of d-lineman you want to be able to afford. The more likely scenario is we sign a bargain FA safety and draft one in the mid rounds.

Byrd could command 8 million + a season, and for us, is he really going to make our team that much better? I think we could use that 8 million a year somewhere else - namely on offense - and get a better return, reflected in more wins.
    I just have this weird feeling that with so many cap problems in the league, Byrd will get less than he thinks. Try to think what teams would or even could pay a safety?
    Really crappy teams have to make bigger plays in free agency than "safety" way to boring for the fan base. Most of the contending teams are dealing with cap issues.
    One team that might go after him is the Patriots! They were 10 mill under the cap last year & need a good safety as bad as us!
    That would be like a worse case scenario, ugh!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Orakpo and Byrd are expensive.

We already get after the quarterback and are heavily invested in doing so (not to mention, Mo Wilk will get a lot more money really soon).

Byrd is a hell of a player, but any top tier free agent will be overpaid - that is the market - and our decision will have to be, if we do go for a top tier free agent (whether it's Orakpo, Byrd or Decker) who are we willing to overpay?

Position, need, production and health will have to be assessed. For me, it's Decker. We need a WR more than anything else on this team. Decker is entering his prime and is scheme-diverese (Mayock ftw!). I'd rather draft and develop a safety under Rex and the same goes for rush LB.
    Yes, most Free agents are overpaid, but at least we'd be paying a probowl safety probowl type money. We'd be paying Decker like a #1 for a #2 WR. Just like the Dolphins did this past offseason. Plus Bryd would help us in the turnover department that we were pitiful in. Then sign James Jones who would be a nice cheap bandaid till our young WR take over.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    That will give you an idea of what he & his agent want, but remember, you don't always get what you want. Much like Revis, Byrd was a Pita this year concerning the Bills but you know what? They are still trying to do everything to keep him!
    He's f*cking good!
    If we find a bad azz rush LB this year, if we had Byrd back there he'd have chances to jump all over routes.
    No way Idzik doesn't look into Byrd, tremendously helps the jets & hurts a division opponent.
    If he isn't a FA were not willing to pay good money to, than nobody is.Fits our needs in the secondary to a tee. And entering the prime of his career. To me its a no brainer pursuit.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup agreed, if we get any of the top tier guys we will have to pay for them. I'd pay for Byrd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Who are we going to get on offense in FA that will help us more? It could be argued that our turnover stats have killed us as much as offense non productivity. This draft is wealthy in WR and TE so if i am going to spend cash for a prime FA then I'd go after Byrd. If he prices himself totally put to lunch then off course you have to pass but guy that creates turnovers is a huge need. Heck even Ed Reed despite sucking overall created turnovers for us.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Yup agreed, if we get any of the top tier guys we will have to pay for them. I'd pay for Byrd.
    Byrd is the word!
    Nice ring to it & the T-shirts would be cool.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    He's f*cking good!
    I wouldn't put much value on 'hurting a division opponent' in this case. We should expect to finish ahead of the Bills. Hurting them by stealing Byrd doesn't change that. Stealing a guy from the Patriots you could argue over but I don't even put much stock in that. Let's just do what's best for our team and let the other teams worry about themselves.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycdan View Post
    I wouldn't put much value on 'hurting a division opponent' in this case. We should expect to finish ahead of the Bills. Hurting them by stealing Byrd doesn't change that. Stealing a guy from the Patriots you could argue over but I don't even put much stock in that. Let's just do what's best for our team and let the other teams worry about themselves.
    They kicked our freaking azz last year in Buffalo!
    The difference between the Jets, Bills, Fins is minimal. Taking Byrd from the Bills definitely hurts them & helps us.
    He's a pro bowler for god sake.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Who are we going to get on offense in FA that will help us more? It could be argued that our turnover stats have killed us as much as offense non productivity. This draft is wealthy in WR and TE so if i am going to spend cash for a prime FA then I'd go after Byrd. If he prices himself totally put to lunch then off course you have to pass but guy that creates turnovers is a huge need. Heck even Ed Reed despite sucking overall created turnovers for us.
    I think the offense is a bigger problem than the low turnover numbers. When Kerley left the game, we couldn't get first downs. We need to both draft playmakers and add them via free agency.

Signing an 7-8 million dollar a year safety on an already stout defense coupled with a bottom five offense is not good football business IMO. Granted, if Decker wants Mike Wallace money, I don't want him either.

Whitner, Bethea, Stevie Brown and Malcolm Jenkins are free agents too - all will likely command half, probably even less than half, of what Byrd will get. And on a team that pays it's corners and d-lineman, that might be the better route.

Couple that with James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders or Jacoby Ford and I think those are far more realistic scenarios - and if you think about it, one of those safeties and one of those WR's put together will cost less than Byrd alone.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think the offense is a bigger problem than the low turnover numbers. When Kerley left the game, we couldn't get first downs. We need to both draft playmakers and add them via free agency.

Signing an 7-8 million dollar a year safety on an already stout defense coupled with a bottom five offense is not good football business IMO. Granted, if Decker wants Mike Wallace money, I don't want him either.

Whitner, Bethea, Stevie Brown and Malcolm Jenkins are free agents too - all will likely command half, probably even less than half, of what Byrd will get. And on a team that pays it's corners and d-lineman, that might be the better route.

Couple that with James Jones or Emmanuel Sanders or Jacoby Ford and I think those are far more realistic scenarios - and if you think about it, one of those safeties and one of those WR's put together will cost less than Byrd alone.
    Even though I think Byrd would be a coup for the Jets. believe me, I don't want us overpaying for him.
    Actually your very post says a lot about the type of money Byrd will get because this is the worst year for Byrd to test free agency.
    1- There are lot of FA safeties & might be more when cut time comes
    2- The draft has some good safeties & at much lower salaries
    3- One really good OLB pass rusher can make lesser safeties look damn good
    4- Most really good teams are up against the cap & have some big time players looking for contracts
    5- Usually, bad teams have WAY MORE issues than paying a safety 6-8 million a year
    6- Should be interesting

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I expect him to mirror his actions from last season ... If I remember correctly & sit back & let the first wave go by.

Then make some reasonably prices value selections to the next level guys.

I would like to see him make a play for one of the solid #2 WR's though

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    I expect him to mirror his actions from last season ... If I remember correctly & sit back & let the first wave go by.

Then make some reasonably prices value selections to the next level guys.

I would like to see him make a play for one of the solid #2 WR's though
    He will pursue Byrd, it would be foolhardy not too.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Re your safeties you list, you get what you pay for.

Last 5 years:

Byrd 22 ints, 11 ff
    Whitner 8 ints, 6 ff
    Jenkins 6 ints, 6 ff
    Bethea 7 ints, 5 ff
    Brown 8 ints, 2 ff

There are two things (and these have been the same two things since Rex got here) that are keeping this D from being tremendous rather than quite good. A safety that can create turnovers and an olb pass rusher.

Hey, I'm not the type to go after the big fish often, I am a proponent of what you are saying most of the time as in value FA but it is not often that a guy that would seem to fit in perfectly with a need.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cant spend too much on FA when your core is 2 yrs from Super Bowl run and their own FA
    Last edited by Xmarco; 02-06-2014 at 12:54 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Re your safeties you list, you get what you pay for.

Last 5 years:

Byrd 22 ints, 11 ff
    Whitner 8 ints, 6 ff
    Jenkins 6 ints, 6 ff
    Bethea 7 ints, 5 ff
    Brown 8 ints, 2 ff

There are two things (and these have been the same two things since Rex got here) that are keeping this D from being tremendous rather than quite good. A safety that can create turnovers and an olb pass rusher.

Hey, I'm not the type to go after the big fish often, I am a proponent of what you are saying most of the time as in value FA but it is not often that a guy that would seem to fit in perfectly with a need.
    If Byrd could be signed in thr $7 to $8 million/ year range, the Jets would be idiots not to. He is a tilt the field type player.