Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't wait for free agency!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    The bulk of the free agency money on defense needs to be spent in the secondary this year. Pace can be signed on another cheap deal and with Barnes and Coples in place, OLB is not an area that needs big money spent on. Safety and Corner are much more pressing needs and getting a guy like Byrd would benefit this defense more. I can draft depth at OLB this year in the mid rounds.
    I feel like we've been saying the same thing the past 4 years with Gholston, Westerman, Taylor, Sapp, and now Barnes. It has never been a position of depth and we've never brought in a premium FA or draft pick since Rex came in. You can argue Coples, but to me he is a 2-down OLB who moves inside on 3rd down.

I'd like to see us spend a draft pick on a speed rusher this offseason. Hopefully Barnes can add an outside rush while we develop a star at OLB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Re your safeties you list, you get what you pay for.

Last 5 years:

Byrd 22 ints, 11 ff
    Whitner 8 ints, 6 ff
    Jenkins 6 ints, 6 ff
    Bethea 7 ints, 5 ff
    Brown 8 ints, 2 ff

There are two things (and these have been the same two things since Rex got here) that are keeping this D from being tremendous rather than quite good. A safety that can create turnovers and an olb pass rusher.

Hey, I'm not the type to go after the big fish often, I am a proponent of what you are saying most of the time as in value FA but it is not often that a guy that would seem to fit in perfectly with a need.
    I can't ignore Byrd forces far more turnovers than the others (even if nine of the INT's were in one year, the year furthest from the present) nor can I deny the need for a safety - edge rusher is the clear other need.

I just don't see this as the year to make a big splash on defense. We've got too many holes on the other side of the ball for a 7-8 million a year safety. And just on defensive football economic philosophy, I'm not crazy about it - I'd rather pay big money to d-lineman and corners than safeties.

Bring me a solid safety in free agency and a veteran edge rusher, and I'm fine going into next season with this defense. The offense is where we've got to do the real work. We need a guard, several WR's, a TE and a third down back (a quarterback too, but that's probably not in the cards).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I feel like we've been saying the same thing the past 4 years with Gholston, Westerman, Taylor, Sapp, and now Barnes. It has never been a position of depth and we've never brought in a premium FA or draft pick since Rex came in. You can argue Coples, but to me he is a 2-down OLB who moves inside on 3rd down.

I'd like to see us spend a draft pick on a speed rusher this offseason. Hopefully Barnes can add an outside rush while we develop a star at OLB.
    So how many more sacks is Orakpo going to give over Pace? And for how much? Pace had 10 sacks last season, and while it is probably not realistic to expect that again, you could reasonably expect 6 or 7 if he stays healthy for the whole year. Pace made $960K lat season, so even with a nice raise he should cost around 3.5 million. Orakpo is going to cost in the 9-10 million range, how much more return on your investment are you going to get for that extra 6 to 7 million? An extra 4-5 sacks? Now consider that you can spend around 7-8 million on Byrd, who fills a bigger need and can actually produce turnovers for this defense. What is more valuable, getting 4 to 5 extra sacks, or having a safety who can produce 5-7 turnovers? For me, there is a ton more value in a guy like Byrd than there is in a guy like Orakpo. There are a bunch of kids in this draft I can take in the 3rd to 4th rounds that will make a nice compliment to Coples, Pace and Barnes.

Plus, Byrd is a much better safety than Orakpo is an OLB.
    Last edited by sec.101row23; 02-06-2014 at 01:42 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So how many more sacks is Orakpo going to give over Pace? And for how much? Pace had 10 sacks last season, and while it is probably not realistic to expect that again, you could reasonably expect 6 or 7 if he stays healthy for the whole year. Pace made $960K lat season, so even with a nice raise he should cost around 3.5 million. Orakpo is going to cost in the 9-10 million range, how much more return on your investment are you going to get for that extra 6 to 7 million? An extra 4-5 sacks? Now consider that you can spend around 7-8 million on Byrd, who fills a bigger need and can actually produce turnovers for this defense. What is more valuable, getting 4 to 5 extra sacks, or having a safety who can produce 5-7 turnovers? For me, there is a ton more value in a guy like Byrd than there is in a guy like Orakpo. There are a bunch of kids in this draft I can take in the 3rd to 4th rounds that will make a nice compliment to Coples, Pace and Barnes.

Plus, Byrd is a much better safety than Orakpo is an OLB.
    Anyone paying Pace 3.5 million this year should be FIRED! 3.5 Million for PACE?
    My god, just take Dee Ford at 18 then.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetster View Post
    Anyone paying Pace 3.5 million this year should be FIRED! 3.5 Million for PACE?
    My god, just take Dee Ford at 18 then.
    How much do you think Pace is going to get? He is coming off a 10 sack season. Plus taking a 6'2" 240 pound Dee Ford is hardly a sure thing at 18.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Love Jarius Byrd. Been waiting on him to hit FA for two years now.

I want no part of Orakpo. He can take whatever obnoxious contract he gets somewhere else.

Same goes for Decker. I loved him three years ago with Tebow. I felt the guy had legit bottom tier #1 skill. He's certainly lived up to it, but the contract he gets will be inflated because of Peyton, and he's not worth the diminishing cap space when we have so many picks in one of the best WR drafts in recent memory.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much do you think Pace is going to get? He is coming off a 10 sack season. Plus taking a 6'2" 240 pound Dee Ford is hardly a sure thing at 18.
    You don't give an old OLB playing with arguably the best Dline in football a million & a half raise, one year older.
    Imagine what a young stud could do if Pace had 10 sacks!
    It's the same theory as not paying patriot WR free agents because Brady has been throwing to them.
    Barnes was a beast b4 he got hurt too

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GenoT View Post
    We've needed a ball hawking safety in this defense for years. Byrd is just what were looking for and a proven commodity. To me it would be foolish not to pursue him. As for overpaying him, lets see what shakes out first.we might not have to overpay for him or Orakpo. This is Ryan and Idziks chance to sell the Jets to these guys, get them in here at a resonable salary, for both sides.
    Agreed. Ideally I'd like Byrd and Orakpo for manageable contracts and Riley Cooper rather than Decker, who will demand and get more than he's worth. Peyton's awfully kind to any WR he works with and gives them big numbers. Then the Jets could focus on TE, WR, OL, RB and OLB depth in the draft.

Getting the FA portion handled well will give the Jets dreamworthy flexibility in the draft, considering the plethora of picks Idzik has in his pocket.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Who are we going to get on offense in FA that will help us more? It could be argued that our turnover stats have killed us as much as offense non productivity. This draft is wealthy in WR and TE so if i am going to spend cash for a prime FA then I'd go after Byrd. If he prices himself totally put to lunch then off course you have to pass but guy that creates turnovers is a huge need. Heck even Ed Reed despite sucking overall created turnovers for us.
    Agreed, i pretty much penciled him in for the jets. 4 years and 8 mill, 15% less than what goldson got from Tampa last year. and about the same as Weddle and Berry

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post

He made Scott one of the highest paid LB