Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Season on Black Kids?

Open Season on Black Kids?

Maybe not.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/15/justic...html?hpt=hp_t1

As an aside, the outright blatant racism of Nancy Grace and CNN TV in covering this story....wow.

The KKK couldn't be more racist.

Hall Of Fame
    Nancy Grace is so bad that she actually made me feel bad for Casey Anthony with how she was talking about her, LOL.

As for Dunn, he got what he deserved. I didn't follow the case as closely as the Zimmerman trial but it seems like there was much less "reasonable doubt" in this case. BTW, how does Angela Corey still have a job?

Excuse me if I don't celebrate this wonderful "victory."

If only it could bring the kid back to life.
    Last edited by FF2®; 02-15-2014 at 11:09 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    "Even as he sat next to me, he asked, how is this happening," Strolla said. "... It has not set in. I don't think it will set in anytime soon."

Seriously?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by FF2® View Post
    Excuse me if I don't celebrate this wonderful "victory."

If only it could bring the kid back to life.
    The purpose of Justice is not Time Travel my friend.

It's punishment for wrongs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Happily, this man will be punished, hard, for his crime.

I do find it odd tho, that you'd complain loudly when Justice is not done (as you see it, Martin/Zimmerman), then still not be happy when Justice IS done (here).

While wishing there would never be another pointless killing is a nice pipe dream, it's just that. Killing is the nature of man, it's what we do best above all else.

I'd hate to think the only reason you're still not pleased is that this breaks the political storytelling that "white men can shoot unarmed black kids and get asway with it" because of stand your ground.

That'd be a shame.

More importantly, no one won the $330 million Powerball jackpot last night. It's now up to $400 million! Buy a ticket and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    The purpose of Justice is not Time Travel my friend.

It's punishment for wrongs. Nothing more, nothing less.

Happily, this man will be punished, hard, for his crime.

I do find it odd tho, that you'd complain loudly when Justice is not done (as you see it, Martin/Zimmerman), then still not be happy when Justice IS done (here).

While wishing there would never be another pointless killing is a nice pipe dream, it's just that. Killing is the nature of man, it's what we do best above all else.

I'd hate to think the only reason you're still not pleased is that this breaks the political storytelling that "white men can shoot unarmed black kids and get asway with it" because of stand your ground.

That'd be a shame.
    You are right from a logical perspective of course, as usual. In the game of "justice" I guess this is a win.

But I think what keeps me upset rather than "satisfied" is that if this was a carload full of rednecks playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, this never happens. Just a stupid waste of life. And the guy sits in court and doesn't get it. Cuz he saw a gun....right.

yeah it's a pipe dream, I know.

Hall Of Fame
    You are right from a logical perspective of course, as usual. In the game of "justice" I guess this is a win.

But I think what keeps me upset rather than "satisfied" is that if this was a carload full of rednecks playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, this never happens. Just a stupid waste of life. And the guy sits in court and doesn't get it. Cuz he saw a gun....right.

You saying blacks don't listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    You saying blacks don't listen to Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    Not at all. just that if they did that say....I'm sure he wouldn't have felt "threatened".

I would say so, even without the conviction for Murder 1.

But I think what keeps me upset rather than "satisfied" is that if this was a carload full of rednecks playing Lynyrd Skynyrd, this never happens.
    I beg to differ.

Carload of (white/redneck) kids listening to Skynyrd, and a Black man shoots one......it's not news.

It's a Tuesday.

In almost every big city in America.

Just a stupid waste of life. And the guy sits in court and doesn't get it.
    You can't help stupid.

Cuz he saw a gun....right.
    Maybe he did, probably he didn't. Human perception is extremely weak really, and clearly the youths were getting very aggressive at the "cracker" (their word) bothering them, so much so that they turned the music up (aggressive confrontation) and made comments about "killing this cracker".

Stupidity on both sides mate, stupidity on both sides.

We'll never know if a gun was there, the opportunity to get rid of it if it was was obvious.

But regardless, the derpy bastard shouldn't have confronted them over music. If it pissed him off that much, call the cops. Let them deal with it.

A nice one, but aye. Don't think I don't wish for it too bro.

Jets Insider VIP
    Maybe he did, probably he didn't. Human perception is extremely weak really, and clearly the youths were getting very aggressive at the "cracker" (their word) bothering them, so much so that they turned the music up (aggressive confrontation) and made comments about "killing this cracker".

Stupidity on both sides mate, stupidity on both sides.
    Yah. A loud radio is a good reason to shoot a person.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Yah. A loud radio is a good reason to shoot a person.
    No, it isn't. I love loud radios (or iPods).

But if (stress if) the youths did act as the shooter claims, they escalated the situation rather soundly.

They could have turned it down (it was exceptionally loud by accounts).

They could have chosen not made death threats. Or to use racial epithets.

None are, strictly speaking, something to kill someone over of course....well, except for the death threats maybe, if they appear willing and able to carry them out.

But they certainly appear to have done nothing to de-escale the situation, did they.

But sans a weapon or a first strike.....it's VERY hard to argue self-defense IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    Not at all. just that if they did that say....I'm sure he wouldn't have felt "threatened".
    I know what you meant and you are probably right. Just trying to have some fun with you. No room for sarcasm in the politics forum, ehh?

But for the sake of conversation why do you think causes people feel "threatened" or "scared" or "alarmed" when in the presence of young black males? Racism is an obvious reason but given the criminal statistics involving black youth could there be even the slightest justification? Actually, when you really look at the numbers one can say there might be reason to feel "threatened" around all young males in America so maybe race doesn't even play a factor here.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...d-age-23/8042/
    Here's a stat that's even more troublesome: By age 23, nearly 50 percent of America's black males, 44 percent of Hispanic males, and 38 percent of white males have been arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    I know what you meant and you are probably right. Just trying to have some fun with you. No room for sarcasm in the politics forum, ehh?

But for the sake of conversation why do you think causes people feel "threatened" or "scared" or "alarmed" when in the presence of young black males? Racism is an obvious reason but given the criminal statistics involving black youth could there be even the slightest justification? Actually, when you really look at the numbers one can say there might be reason to feel "threatened" around all young males in America so maybe race doesn't even play a factor here.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/pol...d-age-23/8042/
    Dude, ya gotta use smilies.

I can't open that link. I'd be curious as to what percent is for violent crimes vs. drug offenses, etc.

I get your point, and while I can understand some worry we still don't get to shoot people because of stats.

Jets Insider VIP
    No, it isn't. I love loud radios (or iPods).

But if (stress if) the youths did act as the shooter claims, they escalated the situation rather soundly.

They could have turned it down (it was exceptionally loud by accounts).

They could have chosen not made death threats. Or to use racial epithets.

None are, strictly speaking, something to kill someone over of course....well, except for the death threats maybe, if they appear willing and able to carry them out.

But they certainly appear to have done nothing to de-escale the situation, did they.

But sans a weapon or a first strike.....it's VERY hard to argue self-defense IMO.
    True true. But at the end of the day, dude killed a person. And killing people is illegal.

I heard the other day that the family of the old guy who shot the guy who was texting during movie trailers wants leniency because he's old and sick. Doesn't matter. You shot a guy and killed him for no reason. Don't care if your old and sick. Take your old and sick ass to jail and die there. You shot a man for no reason.

Hall Of Fame
    Dude, ya gotta use smilies.

I can't open that link. I'd be curious as to what percent is for violent crimes vs. drug offenses, etc.

I get your point, and while I can understand some worry we still don't get to shoot people because of stats.
    The majority are drug offenses (marijuana) for every race, especially blacks. Marijuana is still illegal under federal law and if people are dumb enough to smoke weed in public or in their cars then they are going to get caught. I have a cousin in the NYPD and nearly all of his marijuana arrests are minorities just smoking in plain sight. I used to spark up in my basement which is why I never got pinched. I think it is more of a youthful arrogance/stupidity issue than a race issue.

I agree. Doesn't justify shooting. But I think having being a bit wary of groups of youths is justifiable today.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    True true. But at the end of the day, dude killed a person. And killing people is illegal.
    Agree completely, but once again (just like with Zimmerman) the Prosecution over-reached IMO. Muder 1 requires pre-meditation, and there just wasn't evidence it was pre-meditated.

Should have gone for a lower charge (2nd degree) for the killing, and he'd have been found guilty post-haste I think.

I heard the other day that the family of the old guy who shot the guy who was texting during movie trailers wants leniency because he's old and sick. Doesn't matter. You shot a guy and killed him for no reason. Don't care if your old and sick. Take your old and sick ass to jail and die there. You shot a man for no reason.
    I tend to agree with you, but old and sick (like young and stupid, or being mentally ill or suffering fromr etardation) all seem to be excuse de jour for people to want to go soft of criminals and killers.

Hell, suprised they're not using a "years of being a cop caused stress" defense too for that guy.

But generally speaking, I agree with you wholeheartedly, he should be in jail, sick, old or not.

Jets Insider VIP
    I tried to make a point on Facebook about how the movie shooting and this one both could have been avoided by common courtesy: ask nicely for someone to stop doing something that could be considered annoying, and on the other side, say something like "you're right; sorry; I'll stop/do it somewhere else". I called people out for jumping to conclusions that that Dunn is racist.

I was called all kinds of vile names, including racist. Turns out Dunn is a psycho, beating his wives and forcing one of them to go to a swingers party ans service a bunch of men.

so.

I watched Dunn's testimony and it's clear he is a murderous douche that deserves to be in jail forever. He was looking for a confrontation and found one. He is exactly the type of person that should not be carrying a weapon and frankly, his case is fodder for the anti-gun nuts. On the other hand Zimmerman's situation was completely different and having watched that case closely as well the jury was correct in not convicting him.

Quote Originally Posted by quantum View Post
    I tried to make a point on Facebook about how the movie shooting and this one both could have been avoided by common courtesy: ask nicely for someone to stop doing something that could be considered annoying, and on the other side, say something like "you're right; sorry; I'll stop/do it somewhere else". I called people out for jumping to conclusions that that Dunn is racist.
    I don't know that we can call Dunn a racist - he was married, twice, to Latinas.. granted, apparently non-US Citizens that he allegedly forced to perform at swingers parties, so go figure... but with all the stuff coming out about him now, he does kind of fit the angry old man persona.

Its true a little more common courtesy in the world would avoid some of these situations. Ideally you should be able to ask someone nicely to turn the music down, and they will. The background stuff coming out about Dunn is disturbing to say the least, and I have doubts about him being the kind of guy to ask nicely in that situation.

I'd also add that, in hindsight, if you pull into a public place like a gas station and you're waiting for your fiancée to run in and get wine and chips, and the car next to you is playing loud music, even if you don't like it, I think you could tough it out and tolerate it for a few minutes, or move your car, or any number of options, and then no one is dead or in jail, including yourself. To me, that's the practical move because you just never know who it is you're dealing with.