Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Creationism vs. Science, Ham vs. Nye Debate

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    of course..chase your dreams. BUT if you want to be a CHEF, don't spend 100K at Johnson and Wales or a teacher, plenty of great state schools. No need to drop 100K at a small private school. Does Murray know you are picking on accountants? Here I am in the office , on a Sunday, making up for 2 snow days.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by southparkcpa View Post
    of course..chase your dreams. BUT if you want to be a CHEF, don't spend 100K at Johnson and Wales or a teacher, plenty of great state schools. No need to drop 100K at a small private school. Does Murray know you are picking on accountants? Here I am in the office , on a Sunday, making up for 2 snow days.
    State school is still going run you $80,000 when all is said and done.

And get off JI and get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    It always laugh at these lists of worst paying majors. So I guess no one should ever go into elementary education.

or if you really want to be a chef, you shouldn't do it, you should be an accountant instead.
    Of course people who want to go into those fields should....

...with their eyes WIDE open as to the costs, difficulties of finding a job in that competative market and their future earnings potential.

It's up to them to decide then.

What they should not get is pay equallity in their chosen field just "because" or it's "fair".

I.e. just because you REALY REALLY wanted to go into Gay Womans Underwater Basket Weaving, does not mean your future $22,000 a year Social Workers job should suddenly be paid $110,000 so you can pay off Vassar more easily.

Now if you'll excuse me, I just finished a 4 hour online exam (continuing education) and my brain is utter mush at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Meh.

But no one on this site has a job that really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by PlumberKhan View Post
    Meh.

Speak for yourself my friend.

Jets Insider VIP
    Meh.

Wrong. Most of us are parents.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Wrong. Most of us are parents.
    True story.

And I got another on the way. That's some scary sh*t right there!

Jets Insider VIP
    True story.

And I got another on the way. That's some scary sh*t right there!
    Congrats.

But I think you just changed my mind on the contraceptive mandate.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    Congrats.

But I think you just changed my mind on the contraceptive mandate.
    Lmao!

It definitely makes one think.

And I got another on the way.
    Congratulations!

Boy or Girl (or do you not know yet)?

You're first was a boy, right?

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    Congratulations!

Boy or Girl (or do you not know yet)?

You're first was a boy, right?
    Danke!

Not sure yet. We'll know next month

I have a 13 yo stepson, a 7 yo daughter and a 5 yo son. I'm hoping for a girl.

Danke!

Not sure yet. We'll know next month

I have a 13 yo stepson, a 7 yo daughter and a 5 yo son. I'm hoping for a girl.
    Lol, you've been busy (having seen Betsy, I think we all can understand), last I had heard you only had ONE kid!

Got a heck of brood going. Since you have one of each already, you leaning one way or the other on hope (gender) for #3?

Military is also a great way to go to learn, mature and network. I was college reservist and am greatful for the experiences from the Marine Corps, but I also loved college and value my friends and experiences while in college. I didn't go 100k in debt from college, I received financial aid and loans for my education. I don't recall any middle class students taking the types of degrees you are referencing, I have a lot of public service and Wall Street buddies from college. One of them is a poster here.

Quote Originally Posted by Trades View Post
    I went to college and graduate school. However I also went into the Air Force to pay for my Bachelors and waited for my job to pay for my Masters. I didn't go 100k in debt to get my degrees.

I am not saying college is bad. What I am saying is that there are a lot of schools and degrees that are worthless. Engineering, doctors, lawyers degrees do not equal women's studies, philosophy, literature and liberal arts. Education is a product and just like all products there are good versions and bad versions. Mercedes =/= Yugo, Samsung =/= Coby, etc but most colleges are priced way to high.

This article probably says it better than I am...
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jennagou...ollege-majors/

I'm not offended by the creationist viewpoint. If that is part of their belief system, and that's OK with me. Personally, I find my belief in God becomes more firm the more I learn about science and the unanswered questions. Why are humans the only species to have "evolved" on earth? Other species have had significantly more time to evolve, but have not? Why does the physical nature and behavior of things on the quantum level differ so much (and actually contradict) what would occur in the larger world? Where does the quantum level start? What is beyond the known universe? What was there before the big bang? Every time science answers one question, it seems that several new questions arise.