Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBS Gets Thursday Night Football

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God I don't have to hear Mike Mayock talk about players 40 times during the crappy games they schedule.

"Now this kid, I had him coming out of East Bumble**** State as a Safety. He has great hips and a real knack for the ball. Now the knock on this kid is he lacks elite speed but he makes up for it with instincts.."

Shut the **** up dog!
    Last edited by King P; 02-05-2014 at 10:35 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank God it won't be broadcast by Collinsworth the pontificating, pretentious, idiotic fool who looks like a scarecrow caked in makeup

Mod Friend to JI Legends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AirStrike View Post
    Just what we need, more promos of crappy TV shows and "America's most watched network" thrown into our face every 15 seconds.
    Hear, hear!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

This is good news in that CBS has the best HD, it's 1080p straight-away wheras FOX and NFLN use 720p and upscale it.

SAR I
    That's totally wrong.

CBS and NFLN both broadcast using 1080i not "p" and 720p (Fox, ABC, ESPN, etc.) is actually better for sports because it's faster than 1080i.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    The more intriguing thing here is the late year Saturday games. That puts the Jets in play. Seems like years ago there was always a late season Saturday game with the Jets playing at home on a Saturday and the Giants at home on Sunday.
    Remember the saturday game the Jets had in the early 80's where the NFL decided to test a telecast without announcers int he booth.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetrider View Post
    That's totally wrong.

CBS and NFLN both broadcast using 1080i not "p" and 720p (Fox, ABC, ESPN, etc.) is actually better for sports because it's faster than 1080i.
    Typo on my point, yes, 1080i.

720p looks good on old 720p native HDTV's, but 1080i broadcasts look much superior on 1080p panels. No upscaling required. FOX broadcasts look pixelated and smeared on my Sony LED, CBS looks crystal clear.

SAR I

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
    And vanilla gameplans that lead to boring matchups. Thursday night football doesn't allow for the proper preparation and recuperation that the players need... but yeah, Goodell is all about player safety.
    This can be solved with a little scheduling tweak.

Have the teams that play Thursday have their bye week the previous week. So they would play on a Sunday/Monday and then have the next week off...then return to play on the Thursday game. They would have 10 days off before the Thursday game and 9 days off afterwards, instead of being punished for playing a Thursday game they would be rewarded.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saturation point coming soon.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    Ugh. It's not as bad as the ridiculous 18 games idea, but Thursday Night games are terrible.
    God almighty what the f**k is wrong with you people? I would rather watch an NFL RS game over any of the weeknight spew that is on TV nowadays, and you guys are complaining saying TNF sucks. What, you would rather watch American Idol, Survivor, or some other P O S show like that instead of a football game?

WTF does it take to make you guys happy?

Jeez

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's totally wrong.

Yeah but some new TVs buffer the interlacing and motion average the pixels (Samsung) the the motion is completely smooth either way ... Sometimes distracting lay so.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

720p looks good on old 720p native HDTV's, but 1080i broadcasts look much superior on 1080p panels. No upscaling required. FOX broadcasts look pixelated and smeared on my Sony LED, CBS looks crystal clear.

SAR I
    There is no upscaleing when watching 720p. Your TV adjusts resolution, its just not the native resolution of your box. The picture quality has more to do with your provider than the resolution.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    With cbs in the fold, at least we wont be getting bengals/browns games thursday night. These will be top quality games.
    Incorrect, the package that was sold to cbs is the same as the old one (with Saturday now added). Every team must be represented.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Funaz View Post
    There is no upscaleing when watching 720p. Your TV adjusts resolution, its just not the native resolution of your box. The picture quality has more to do with your provider than the resolution.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro
    That is incorrect. Anyone with a 1080p panel that has a 720p signal input needs upscaling in order for the picture to fill the screen.

If you have a really good HDTV (raises hand) you set your set top box to pass the signal through natively without any upscaling, then you let your HDTV handle the upscaling for you. If you have an inexpensive HDTV, it doesn't really matter, you can ask the set-top box to handle that task for you. Either way, it will not look as good watching a FOX broadcast in 720p as it does watching a CBS broadcast in 1080i on a 1080p HDTV, at least a good one.

SAR I

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Learn something new everyday. For the longest time I've been wondering why whenever I watch the Jets games on CBS everything looks so clear on my TV, then if I jump over to a Fox game before or after the game the quality isn't as crisp. Is there any particular reason why CBS is 1080i and FOX + others are 720p? Production costs?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

SAR I
    Upscaling 720p to 1080p is a simple task, but your tv has to do a sloppier conversion - interlace to progressive - because 1080i only sends 540 lines at the rate 720p sends the full 720.

That's why a 720p broadcast on a 1080p flatscreen is better for sports right off the bat. And the larger the screen size the more noticeable the deinterlace conversion is.

What you're experiencing might make sense for shows like Ellen but not high-speed action or sports.

Do you ever watch sports?
    Last edited by jetrider; 02-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Learn something new everyday. For the longest time I've been wondering why whenever I watch the Jets games on CBS everything looks so clear on my TV, then if I jump over to a Fox game before or after the game the quality isn't as crisp. Is there any particular reason why CBS is 1080i and FOX + others are 720p? Production costs?
    Both 1080i and 720p use the same bandwidth.

Why some networks chose one over the other was based on the type of programming they chose to accommodate - talk shows or sports.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both 1080i and 720p use the same bandwidth.

Why some networks chose one over the other was based on the type of programming they chose to accommodate - talk shows or sports.
    Ah gotcha. Thanks.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if it's your box, tv, or a setting on your tv.

I get all games in perfectly on large screens so I never had an issue.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I actually enjoy Nantz/Simms and CBS has the best production for NFL games IMO. Much better than Fox or NFL Network.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedGnW View Post
    I actually enjoy Nantz/Simms and CBS has the best production for NFL games IMO. Much better than Fox or NFL Network.
    Nantz/Simms is probably the best out there right now for broadcasting. Not saying much since most NFL broadcast teams today are unlistenable but still.