Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fireplace Fires...

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Fireplace Fires...

Why do I suck at them? I refuse to use a fake, burn all day log. My current set up, from bottom to top, is dryer lint, cardboard, kindling wood. I wait until that gets roaring before I add any (kiln dried) logs. Aeration seems to be fine, log or logs burning good and then the fire fizzles out over the next 20 minutes. WTF am I doing wrong?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Things View Post
    Why do I suck at them? I refuse to use a fake, burn all day log. My current set up, from bottom to top, is dryer lint, cardboard, kindling wood. I wait until that gets roaring before I add any (kiln dried) logs. Aeration seems to be fine, log or logs burning good and then the fire fizzles out over the next 20 minutes. WTF am I doing wrong?
    Stack the wood properly you damn Yankee!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    We live in a townhouse now, and I'm always complaining we need a fireplace. WTF? I built a fire pit in the backyard. I light the fire and stare at the flames. The voices tell talk to me then.

Try making sure you have dry wood (biggity). Start with smaller pieces of wood after the kindling, and then add the large pieces after the smaller ones are lit.

Make sure there is some space between the kindling and the wood (if you make a teepee with the wood, and the kindling is underneath - that's what the wood trays are for) so that you don't smother the part of the wood that's burning and there's enough oxygen to keep it going.

Give that a try if you already haven't.
    Last edited by John_0515; 02-05-2014 at 05:05 PM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    Stack the wood properly you damn Yankee!
    I don't think you should be lecturing a Yankee on how to burn things - we took care of Atlanta right good.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    stack the logs such that there is space between for oxygen and flames to get through. I start my fires with 2 logs already on top of kindling wood. Don't wait to add logs. Then when underneath burns off a little, I add some more kindling wood underneath or some rolled up newspaper pages in a tight ball.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    stack the logs such that there is space between for oxygen and flames to get through. I start my fires with 2 logs already on top of kindling wood. Don't wait to add logs. Then when underneath burns off a little, I add some more kindling wood underneath or some rolled up newspaper pages in a tight ball.
    Bam. This man knows.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    How far will you be sitting....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    I don't think you should be lecturing a Yankee on how to burn things - we took care of Atlanta right good.
    I was born in Jersey you bunghole!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Less is more at the beginning. Get plenty of air flow. Start with small pieces of wood. How is your draft? Make sure it is wide open and clear. Your wood might just suck.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by southside View Post
    I was born in Jersey you bunghole!
    You should check if there's any record of that. I'm pretty sure Jersey has disowned you.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    You should check if there's any record of that. I'm pretty sure Jersey has disowned you.
    Good, I hate that dump of a state.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are you using Buffalo's playoff appearance aspirations to light your fires? That **** will burn out quickly every time.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PocketJet View Post
    I'll try this set up next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Less is more at the beginning. Get plenty of air flow. Start with small pieces of wood. How is your draft? Make sure it is wide open and clear. Your wood might just suck.
    Draft is fine, I think. Wood is all kiln dried.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could be a number of things, like one mentions here, at first you want lots of draft, but once the fire builds the more air the hotter the fire the faster it burns. If you are seeing the flames roaring up the flue you have too much air coming through, and this could simply be a result of a leaky house. Once the fire gets going, adjust the flue closed a bit to settle the fire down.

You should have notches on the flue, adjust closed until the fire is not rushing up the chimney and then open one notch. You have to keep an eye on it because you want to keep the fire hot or you will back draft and fill the house with smoke, so do this only when the fire is at its hottest. Your trying to cool it but but not too much. I know it kind of sounds a little contradictory but after a few times you will figure it out. Plus you will get more heat coming out of the fireplace.

Also, while dry wood is great to start, don't be afraid to use logs from outside once it's going, damp logs. I have never seen one blow up. Use a harder wood.

Good luck and enjoy

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post
    Could be a number of things, like one mentions here, at first you want lots of draft, but once the fire builds the more air the hotter the fire the faster it burns. If you are seeing the flames roaring up the flue you have too much air coming through, and this could simply be a result of a leaky house. Once the fire gets going, adjust the flue closed a bit to settle the fire down.

You should have notches on the flue, adjust closed until the fire is not rushing up the chimney and then open one notch. You have to keep an eye on it because you want to keep the fire hot or you will back draft and fill the house with smoke, so do this only when the fire is at its hottest. Your trying to cool it but but not too much. I know it kind of sounds a little contradictory but after a few times you will figure it out. Plus you will get more heat coming out of the fireplace.

Also, while dry wood is great to start, don't be afraid to use logs from outside once it's going, damp logs. I have never seen one blow up. Use a harder wood.

Good luck and enjoy
    Wet logs won't blow up, but they will coat the chimney over time with creosote. If you're burning wet wood you really better be cleaning that fireplace regularly.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How close are you standing to the barrel?

Go find an old tire...those burn forever once they catch.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the course of the summer and fall, I collect twigs and small branches and stuff 'em into a plastic bin.

I take one of those little rectangular fire starter's and build a little mound of twigs over it, light the starter's corner, then put a few logs over it carefully as to not crush the twig mound....then I light a rolled up piece of newspaper and stick it up the flue to knock out the block of cold air and prime it for a minute or two (or until my shirt catches on friggin fire, lol)
    I find the twigs and small branches burn super-hot and create a nice little combustion mixture with the starter.

That usually does it for me.

Oh...and I know you can handle this part....once it gets going you should poke it every once in a while .....it helps to shake loose some hot embers that fall to the bottom to create a bed of embers that kind of sustain the whole thing.
    Last edited by 32green; 02-05-2014 at 06:40 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Christmas trees and gasoline

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    Christmas trees and gasoline
    Agreed. Especially a good dry one, nice and brown.
    Will make a bigger fire than you've ever seen. Very sweet.

Oh yeah... and buy seasoned wood, don't get ripped off on the green stuff.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by leftturn3 View Post

You should have notches on the flue, adjust closed until the fire is not rushing up the chimney and then open one notch. You have to keep an eye on it because you want to keep the fire hot or you will back draft and fill the house with smoke, so do this only when the fire is at its hottest.
    How do I stick my head up the chimney to adjust the flue which is directly above my roaring fire?