Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Target James Starks and Riley Cooper (Free Agents)........

Target James Starks and Riley Cooper (Free Agents)........

LOVE these 2 free agents..... tough, hard working, producers, that we can get for cheap. Both guys are extremely underrated. Would make great JETS next year. Starks has always been underused in that Packers offense. Every time he touches the ball something good happens. Tough, physical, cold weather runner, talented. Love his game. And Riley Cooper the same thing, very underrated, can go up and get the ball, real nice hands. Coopers basically the same player as Eric Decker but tougher and will come at a fraction of the price. These 2 guys are the best value 2014 free agents on offense in my opinion. They can both come to the team and become real superstars. Love these 2

Quote Originally Posted by sash1 View Post
    LOVE these 2 free agents..... tough, hard working, producers, that we can get for cheap. Both guys are extremely underrated. Would make great JETS next year. Starks has always been underused in that Packers offense. Every time he touches the ball something good happens. Tough, physical, cold weather runner, talented. Love his game. And Riley Cooper the same thing, very underrated, can go up and get the ball, real nice hands. Coopers basically the same player as Eric Decker but tougher and will come at a fraction of the price. These 2 guys are the best value 2014 free agents on offense in my opinion. They can both come to the team and become real superstars. Love these 2
    I didn't know Cooper was a free agent. There was a reason they kept him after the scandal.. guy is legit. I think those are both good calls. I like Starks a lot as a compliment to Ivory. I'm not so sure Cooper will be super cheap though. If he is it's a no brainer.

Why do you think Riley will sign for cheap and why does they sign with the jets, rather than just stay where they are if they are not going to get paid?
    That said, both are good names to throw out there, but i think Cooper stays put as a pay back for kelly sticking with him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Is there a thread around here with the current/expected list of Free Agents that will be available in March? Between Cooper, Decker, and several other names being thrown around it sounds like the Jets shouldn't have a problem finding a legitimate #2 type starting WR if they're willing to pay up.

Thanks.

Starks is interesting because he can catch the ball. I really like Ivory as a player, but the offense Mornhinweg is keyed by a pass catching RB. Having Ivory in the backfield pretty much guarantees that the RB is not a pass-catching threat, which is a problem, however he's a damn good runner. RBs that don't catch are becoming more of rare species (Alfred Morris is an exception to the rule). Even in Detroit, his teams had RBs/FBs catching the ball 100+ balls a season.

I have no idea what to make of Mike Goodson, and Bilal Powell is limited, but he does catch the ball well. Cooper would be an interesting pickup, he didn't have a great 40 time, but he's a fast dude. Like Decker, I'm not sure if his numbers are inflated by the offense he was in, but he's not going to be paid like a #1 WR, so there's less risk. Cooper also has the baggage of the racial slurs. Obviously his teammates seemed to get over it, but the NY media would certainly try and force the issue (Then again, he's in Philadelphia right now, and the media certainly is tough there, too)

Another WR worth targeting (though with different risks) is Jerome Simpson, he put up similar numbers to Cooper (less big plays), but on a team with brutal QBs, and no other receiving threats. He's a little smaller than Cooper as well and has some risks (Suspended for 3 games in 2012 for having 2 lbs (!!!) of pot delivered to his house, followed up with a DWI in the middle of last season), but he may not cost as much as even Cooper.

both cooper and maclin are both FA's for the eagles, and with how the chemistry developed through out the year with cooper and foles i would imagine they would be more inclined to pay cooper than maclin. If i had to make a guess i think maclin gets let go, and can be had relatively cheap considering his injury history.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrebetfan80 View Post
    both cooper and maclin are both FA's for the eagles, and with how the chemistry developed through out the year with cooper and foles i would imagine they would be more inclined to pay cooper than maclin. If i had to make a guess i think maclin gets let go, and can be had relatively cheap considering his injury history.
    What history, he averaged 15 games a year prior to getting hurt. And yes he may be looking for a one year deal to show he is healthy before the jump in cap in 2015, but why Geno and the jets if he is going to pad his numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Is there a thread around here with the current/expected list of Free Agents that will be available in March? Between Cooper, Decker, and several other names being thrown around it sounds like the Jets shouldn't have a problem finding a legitimate #2 type starting WR if they're willing to pay up.

Thanks.
    http://www.overthecap.com/freeagents...n=WR&Year=2014

Here's a WR list with their previous average salary...

Unrestricted Free Agent Wide Receivers: 2014

Name Team Prior APY
    Anquan Boldin 49ers $8,333,333
    Devin Hester Bears $5,489,006
    Santana Moss Redskins $5,000,000
    Jacoby Jones Ravens $3,250,000
    James Jones Packers $3,233,333
    Jeremy Maclin Eagles $2,875,000
    Darrius Heyward-Bey Colts $2,500,000
    Emmanuel Sanders Steelers $2,500,000
    Hakeem Nicks Giants $2,215,000
    Jerome Simpson Vikings $2,100,000
    Kenny Britt Titans $1,830,002
    Mario Manningham 49ers $1,800,000
    Jerricho Cotchery Steelers $1,500,000
    Dexter McCluster Chiefs $1,325,000
    Domenik Hixon Panthers $1,200,000
    Ted Ginn Panthers $1,100,000
    Plaxico Burress Steelers $1,005,000
    Kevin Walter Titans $1,005,000
    Brandon Tate Bengals $966,000
    Kassim Osgood 49ers $940,000
    Brandon Stokley Ravens $940,000
    Andre Caldwell Broncos $900,000
    Brandon LaFell Panthers $869,600
    Damian Williams Titans $864,063
    Golden Tate Seahawks $852,875
    Josh Cribbs Jets $840,000
    Eric Decker Broncos $828,788
    Jacoby Ford Raiders $787,211
    Louis Murphy Giants $780,000
    Julian Edelman Patriots $765,000
    Tiquan Underwood Buccaneers $715,000
    Michael Spurlock Lions $715,000
    Robert Meachem Saints $715,000
    Kevin Ogletree Lions $715,000
    Lavelle Hawkins Chargers $715,000
    Taylor Price Jaguars $661,145
    Marlon Moore Dolphins $630,000
    Seyi Ajirotutu Chargers $630,000
    Riley Cooper Eagles $527,870
    Kyle Williams Chiefs $504,838

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Good info Reaper!
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 02-06-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Looking at that list James Jones & Emanual Sanders look like likely targets for a guy like Idzik.
    Won't break the bank & bring a ton of experience & toughness to the position.
    If he was able to grab any 2 of sanders, jones, Maclin ? That would be awesome considering you know we will bring in a young draft pick, (Evans, Lee, Matthews, Bemjamin?) to bring along slowly.
    By the end of the year that would be a pretty good group, sanders, jones, Kerley, Nelson or throw Maclin in there for sanders or jones, and a learning rookie or two.
    Sign me up.
    Especially if we draft a RB that can catch out of the backfield like DeAnthony!

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    What history, he averaged 15 games a year prior to getting hurt. And yes he may be looking for a one year deal to show he is healthy before the jump in cap in 2015, but why Geno and the jets if he is going to pad his numbers?
    It's a good point, if I were Maclin I'd be following the situations in Green Bay (if Jones leaves) and Carolina.

But maybe his decision is swayed by the fact that he knows Marty's offense? No learning curve and an assurance that playing time will not be a concern has to be appealing for a guy that might be on a 1-year deal.

Cooper and Starks are good targets, but if James jones leaves Greenbay he's my #1 FA wr. I know he plays with Aaron Rodgers but the dude runs great routes, has nice speed, nice hands, body positioning, etc. he's a VERY underrated receiver in my mind. I think Greenbay will keep him but maybe Boykin's emergence as a threat will change that.

Its really hard to place a value on cooper.

He is 6'3 220 lbs which is great size. He has experience in this offense.

However he has never put up great stats, even this year he made some splash plays, but finished with less then 50 catches in a very explosive offense where he was the second option.

Obviously his racial tirade is a factor too as there will be some players in the locker room that will not be ok with him.

Just a very hard guy to figure out where his contract should be.

As for starks, I dont see what he brings to the table, would rather spend a 5-7th round pick in this draft on someone like Grice to develop cheaply.

no way cooper comes here....he'd get his ass beat in ny..

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Its really hard to place a value on cooper.

He is 6'3 220 lbs which is great size. He has experience in this offense.

However he has never put up great stats, even this year he made some splash plays, but finished with less then 50 catches in a very explosive offense where he was the second option.

Obviously his racial tirade is a factor too as there will be some players in the locker room that will not be ok with him.

Just a very hard guy to figure out where his contract should be.

As for starks, I dont see what he brings to the table, would rather spend a 5-7th round pick in this draft on someone like Grice to develop cheaply.
    I disagree with you on Starks but you're correct on Cooper..

Cooper just hasn't produced much. And no way am I going to throw the 2nd receiver spot here to him based on a couple of hail marys launched by Foles.

Quote Originally Posted by patman View Post
    maybe injury history is a strong statement, but in his 5 years in the league, he's only played 1 full season. Also he's never went over a 1000 yds receiving in any of those years. Im just saying, if your a gm looking at maclin... 5 years in the league, 1 full season, coming off ACL injury, and never had a 1000 yd receiving year. I think he can be had a great value.

Now I agree, if he's only looking for a 1 year prove yourself cash in deal, the jets probably wont be the team. The only saving graces is he wants to come back and play under MM since its an easier learning curve.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Thanks.
    Awesome. Now all we need is a legitimate # 1 type starting WR.

maybe injury history is a strong statement, but in his 5 years in the league, he's only played 1 full season. Also he's never went over a 1000 yds receiving in any of those years. Im just saying, if your a gm looking at maclin... 5 years in the league, 1 full season, coming off ACL injury, and never had a 1000 yd receiving year. I think he can be had a great value.

Now I agree, if he's only looking for a 1 year prove yourself cash in deal, the jets probably wont be the team. The only saving graces is he wants to come back and play under MM since its an easier learning curve.
    25% of the league runs the same offense. Any O coach that played with Walsh/Holmgreen/Green/Reid all run the same. After 4 years in the league it is not the route tree but getting on the same page as the qb that impacts the learning curve. How many skill position players play 16 games. I cant think of one on the pats, maybe Endleman may have this year for the first time. A Wr playing 16 games is not the norm.

Given all that, Cooper can be had for cheap and probably will be productive noting the past experience with MM.

Not a big Cooper fan but I would take him as the #2. It wouldnt be anything to get excited about though IMO.