Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ESPN First Rd Jets Pick......Kiper: Lee, WR USC or McShay: Cooks, WR Oregon St.

ESPN First Rd Jets Pick......Kiper: Lee, WR USC or McShay: Cooks, WR Oregon St.

Kiper: Marqise Lee, wide receiver, USC

McShay: Brandin Cooks, wide receiver, Oregon State

My take: McShay deals a curveball with the Cooks pick. As far as I can tell, this is the first mock draft in which Cooks has been linked to the Jets. In McShay's 2.0, the top three wideouts -- Lee, Sammy Watkins (Clemson) and Mike Evans (Texas A&M) are off the board by the time the Jets pick -- a scenario that could play out on draft day. Cooks put up monster numbers last season as a junior (128 receptions, 1,730 yards and 16 touchdowns), but be careful: He played on a pass-happy team in a pass-happy conference. Cooks is closer to being a possession receiver than a game-breaker (averaged only 13.5 yards per catch), and the Jets -- in a perfect world -- need a home run threat. Nevertheless, McShay raises a potential dilemma for the Jets: If the top three are gone, do they pick for need (wide receiver) or take another position?

Kiper has been consistent with Lee going to the Jets; it was the pick in his 1.0 mock. I've said it before about Lee: He looked like a top-five pick in 2012, but his production dropped in half last season when he was nicked up. Like Cooks, Lee is an underclassman, adding importance to the upcoming scouting combine. Teams don't have exact measureables on the underclassmen, so the spotlight will be intense at the combine.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jet...medium=twitter

Jets Insider VIP
    McShay just comes off as a guy who purposely goes against the grain.

No damn way we take a 5'10 slot receiver at #18.

This is an INSANE draft for WRs.

Jets Insider VIP
    I'd hate both picks. If Watkins and Evans are off the board, give me Ebron or Amaro.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by 10PennyToColes87 View Post
    I'd hate both picks. If Watkins and Evans are off the board, give me Ebron or Amaro.
    I would be fine with Lee, but the Cooks pick is just retarded.

Hell, I know a lot of people on this site would b*tch their lungs out, but I wouldn't be upset if we took an OLB like Khalil Mack or a true FS like Clinton-Dix in the 1st round either provided that we bring in someone like Decker or Maclin in free agency.

I'm not taking a receiver at #18 just for the sake of taking one.

This is the deepest receiver draft in recent memory. You could potentially land a Day 1 starter in the 3rd round.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Hell, I know a lot of people on this site would b*tch their lungs out, but I wouldn't be upset if we took an OLB like Khalil Mack or a true FS like Clinton-Dix in the 1st round either provided that we bring in someone like Decker or Maclin in free agency.

This is the deepest receiver draft in recent memory. You could potentially land a Day 1 starter in the 3rd round.
    Lee's upside is Santonio Holmes -- a #2 WR. Mack and CD will be gone by the time we pick. I agree the Jets shouldn't reach, but they HAVE to come away with offensive playmakers in this draft. If that means taking someone like Benjamin at 18, so be it.

Hall Of Fame
    McShay just comes off as a guy who purposely goes against the grain.

No damn way we take a 5'10 slot receiver at #18.
    A lot of these guys do that now, there are so many "draftnicks" and draft websites out there that they have to separate themselves somehow. Having a few questionable selections in the first round gets people talking about their draft, like we are.

Why isn't Kevin Benjamin getting more love? The dude's measurables are killer, and he's actually produced in college unlike our boy Hill. Cook going in the middle first is ridiculous, regardless of his stats.

Jets Insider VIP
    agreed.

Jets Insider VIP

you do make a lot of sense re not reaching.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Why isn't Kevin Benjamin getting more love? The dude's measurables are killer, and he's actually produced in college unlike our boy Hill. Cook going in the middle first is ridiculous, regardless of his stats.
    +1

If we took Cooks over Benjamin I wouldn't be thrilled.

I was thinking the same thing...Kelvin Benjamin.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegi5894 View Post
    Benjamin will be talked about in the top 20 after the combine. He moves really well for a guy his size, much better than Evans IMO.

I've read that he's a headcase and a bit slow (speed wise, not mentally). I'd be happy with him though @ 18 or in round two. Wouldn't move up to get him.

I've been told we will draft BPA. Regardless of name, position or other.

If the best WR's are gone, and BPA is a DT, we're picking a DT.

Or so I'm told.

Agreed. I'm actually thinking if the Jets have a choice of Ebron or Evans, they should take Ebron because the drop-off in talent in TE's is much greater than at WR, and as we've all seen, a big athletic TE is a match-up nightmare.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Agreed. I'm actually thinking if the Jets have a choice of Ebron or Evans, they should take Ebron because the drop-off in talent in TE's is much greater than at WR, and as we've all seen, a big athletic TE is a match-up nightmare.
    Except Ebron isn't big for a TE.

Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Except Ebron isn't big for a TE.

I think he's 6'5'' and 255. He's average for a TE, not tall. Has great hands and is very fast. Unlike Amaro or ASJ, he'd be a great recieve and ALSO would be able to block.

Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I've been told we will draft BPA. Regardless of name, position or other.

If the best WR's are gone, and BPA is a DT, we're picking a DT.

Or so I'm told.
    Alright so Aaron Donald it is.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    I think he's 6'5'' and 255. He's average for a TE, not tall. Has great hands and is very fast. Unlike Amaro or ASJ, he'd be a great recieve and ALSO would be able to block.
    He is barely 6'4" and weighs 245.