Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signing Maclin & Sanders???

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Ha Ha..
    then wait when we take an OT in the 2nd.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cannot explain it, but I find the idea of rebuilding our poor offense with these types of Free Agents to be remarkably uninspiring.

It feels like filling the holes in a decaying old tenement building with week old spackle. Sure, they might be a little better than what we have, but who knows.

Of course, while I prefer to build through the draft, the draft is a remarkably unreliably crapshoot.

With that said, if Rex and Idzik are as good as their supporters claim they are, they should be able to spot the type of talent we need at WR, TE and QB, and aquire them.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I live in Pittsburgh, Sanders is not very good.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I cannot explain it, but I find the idea of rebuilding our poor offense with these types of Free Agents to be remarkably uninspiring.

It feels like filling the holes in a decaying old tenement building with week old spackle. Sure, they might be a little better than what we have, but who knows.

Of course, while I prefer to build through the draft, the draft is a remarkably unreliably crapshoot.

With that said, if Rex and Idzik are as good as their supporters claim they are, they should be able to spot the type of talent we need at WR, TE and QB, and aquire them.
    It doesn't matter how you feel about it. These aren't veteran free agents on their last legs. Maclin and Sanders are 25 and 26 respectively, it's replacing statistical jags with young playmakers who still have room to grow. Maclin could develop into a #1 receiver, there's a reason why he was a 1st round pick. Sanders is a santonio holmes clone coveted by the Patriots, so would be a nice 1, 2, punch and would allow the front office to go with the best player available in the draft (as Idzik has stated numerous occasions he would do).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

well, let's say they sign one of these, draft benjamin in the first round, then take a TE in the 3rd? would that be ok?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    This would be a great decision to pick these two guys up... Both are impact players and will probably come cheaper than what they're actually worth (Maclin specifically). Signing these two along with a safety (Byrd???) and pass rusher would free us up tremendously in the draft where we're not stuck reaching on a need position. We'd be able to take the best player available and that's the way to go in the draft (See Sheldon Richardson).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So we can't help ourselves via FA and the draft is merely a crapshoot. I wonder how the other 31 teams magically improve their rosters? Seems there's no solution.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    We need to sign a fa Wr, it should have almost nothing to do with who we draft. If we drafted 3 or 4 d players early because we signed a maclin or a sanders this team would be as stupid as can be.
    Even if we sign both these guys, I think we still draft a receiver.

It does however, take away the need part, and allows us to take the best player available, which is what Idzik's philosophy is.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

What did you think Megatron was on the trade block or something?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    maclin is hurt and will probably get hurt again. sanders is average but better than anything we have. Decker is better than all of them. but we still need to draft WR/TE 1,2 and then address other areas. This offense is just bad. Calling for defensive players in the draft doesn't make sense imo. I'd go so far as to bring in FA offensive players and draft a whole bunch as well. The offense is the problem and has been for 3 years now. Time to fix it.

And rex is so good at Defense that he should be able to keep it at a high level no? so why would we keep adding to it when it isn't a problem?

Alas, i'm resigned to jets brass trying to imitate Seattle thinking all D will win us a SB. nevermind that seattle has a better qb, rb, and wrs.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    well, let's say they sign one of these, draft benjamin in the first round, then take a TE in the 3rd? would that be ok?
    as an FSU fan, I would love that

KB is a freak of nature. He caught so many game-changing passes from Winston this past year. He would be a blast for Geno to throw to.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post
    maclin is hurt and will probably get hurt again. sanders is average but better than anything we have. Decker is better than all of them. but we still need to draft WR/TE 1,2 and then address other areas. This offense is just bad. Calling for defensive players in the draft doesn't make sense imo. I'd go so far as to bring in FA offensive players and draft a whole bunch as well. The offense is the problem and has been for 3 years now. Time to fix it.

And rex is so good at Defense that he should be able to keep it at a high level no? so why would we keep adding to it when it isn't a problem?

Alas, i'm resigned to jets brass trying to imitate Seattle thinking all D will win us a SB. nevermind that seattle has a better qb, rb, and wrs.
    If you think the Jets' drafting defensive players is them trying to imitate Seattle, then it seems like they were imitating seattle for years before seattle even knew what they were doing. My point is that drafting BPA will always get your team talent, and over the long haul a balanced drafting style with BPA in mind is probably the best way to go.

That said, I think going a little offense heavy is appropriate considering how 1 sided the past drafts were, especially before idzik got here. I think adding either one of these guys would be the PERFECT move for our team. They're both young, both playmakers, both will come at a reasonable price, and both will have plenty of upside coming in. One of these guys and another two thruthe draft (I still want to double dip badly in this draft) and we'll have turned our receiving corps around in one year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bruceharper View Post

What is your rationale behind Maclin probably getting hurt again? A torn ACL is hardly indicative of being injury-prone. If you want to tell me that Chris Ivory is injury prone, I get it. But I'm not sure his one (albeit serious) injury means he will likely be injured again. Any more than your average football player anyway.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Signing Maclin & Sanders???

Thank god jets don't need to be messing with Decker he so overrated on this board it crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    What did you think Megatron was on the trade block or something?
    No, certainly not.

But I also think going into 2014 with Maclin #1, Sanders #2, Kerley #3 and Hill #4 would likely be no better than we were in 2013.

I want to see an NFL capable Offense (for once) in 2014.

Maclin/Sanders does not do much (IMO) to bring that to fruition. It would be an improvement over Holmes, mostly because Holmes has been hurt, but not a major improvement.

And we need a major improvment, Megatron on the market or not.

hence why I suppose I prefer the Draft. They may be unknowns, but that means they COULD be the next Megatron.

Maclin and Sanders aren't.

It's the same concern I have with Fans who think signing McCown is the answer to all our problems at QB. Um, no.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Post Thanks / Like
    No, certainly not.

But I also think going into 2014 with Maclin #1, Sanders #2, Kerley #3 and Hill #4 would likely be no better than we were in 2013.

Maclin/Sanders does not do much (IMO) to bring that to fruition. It would be an improvement over Holmes, mostly because Holmes has been hurt, but not a major improvement.

hence why I suppose I prefer the Draft. They may be unknowns, but that means they COULD be the next Megatron.

It's the same concern I have with Fans who think signing McCown is the answer to all our problems at QB. Um, no.
    Whatever we do in FA at WR, I highly doubt it will preclude the Jets from pursuing a WR in the draft. So, while I guess its possible to get both Maclin and Sanders, more likely its one of them (or actually neither just based on %s) and WR is still a high priority, no matter who we sign.

Hill cannot be counted on (I won't write him off yet, but....) so the Jets need a young WR coming through the ranks even if they get a WR or 2 in FA.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Signing Maclin & Sanders???

No, certainly not.

Just because we sign a WR or 2 doesn't mean where not drafting one. In this same article it clearly says Rex says we will likely draft one early. Maclin is a fine #2 WR wouldn't hurt having his speed on outside complimenting someone like Mike Evans.

You also have to pay attention where our GM comes from. Seattle doesn't have a dominant #1 . They have bunch of guys that can make plays. So knowing this MO going after Maclin and Sanders fits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Scoop24; 02-07-2014 at 11:48 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    Whatever we do in FA at WR, I highly doubt it will preclude the Jets from pursuing a WR in the draft.
    I hope you're right. I fear you're not.

I fear the Jets will aquire a few stop-gap WR's in FA, and go (primarily) Defense in the Draft.

I agree on Hill, this is his final year as I see it in Green & White if he doesn't make a marked improvement.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hope you're right. I fear you're not.

I fear the Jets will aquire a few stop-gap WR's in FA, and go (primarily) Defense in the Draft.

I agree on Hill, this is his final year as I see it in Green & White if he doesn't make a marked improvement.
    Well Idizk has been on record as saying that you fill the need in FA and get talent in the draft. Then again, just because they are going after them doesn't mean that they are going to sign them. And I don't think your use of the word "stop gap" is valid. Those two are pretty good WRs when healthy.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sign Sanders and Maclin, draft Ebron/Amaro in the 1st and a guy like Beckham Jr./Benjamin/Matthews in the 2nd, and our offense is suddenly respectable.