Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Signing Maclin & Sanders???

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    No, certainly not.

But I also think going into 2014 with Maclin #1, Sanders #2, Kerley #3 and Hill #4 would likely be no better than we were in 2013.

I want to see an NFL capable Offense (for once) in 2014.

Maclin/Sanders does not do much (IMO) to bring that to fruition. It would be an improvement over Holmes, mostly because Holmes has been hurt, but not a major improvement.

And we need a major improvment, Megatron on the market or not.

hence why I suppose I prefer the Draft. They may be unknowns, but that means they COULD be the next Megatron.

Maclin and Sanders aren't.

It's the same concern I have with Fans who think signing McCown is the answer to all our problems at QB. Um, no.
    Unless we trade up to get Sammy Watkins we will likely not have a WR on the roster with all-pro potential next year, I'm sorry to burst your bubble.

It's Idzik's job to upgrade the talent(based on what's available) for good value, and it's the CS' job to coach up a serviceable Offense...

That's just something that you (and everyone else) will need to come to grips with.

Maclin & Sanders in FA

Kelvin Benjamin in the 1st
    ASJ in the 2nd

I'll be drooling more than a retarded kid if that happened

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Maclin & Sanders in FA

ASJ in the 2nd

Agreed...though I'm not sold on Benjamin in the 1st. I'm a fan of his, and he has freak measureables, but he's still pretty raw. I wish he would stay in college 1 more year. We don't need projects right now, we need players who are polished enough to contribute from day 1.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Unless we trade up to get Sammy Watkins we will likely not have a WR on the roster with all-pro potential next year, I'm sorry to burst your bubble.
    I'm sorry too, because IMO thats unacceptable.

That's just something that you (and everyone else) will need to come to grips with.
    No, actually. As a Fan, I am free to hold any opinion I wish, or hold standards as I see fit.

The not have a single All-Pro potential WR on the roster, given it's our biggest weakness, with this many picks and this much cap space is, IMO, unacceptable.

I expect a fill court effort to upgrade the weakest position on our team, with the best possible players.

I reject the idea that is all of FA and all of the draft, there is no way we can aquire a WR with the potential to be an All-Pro.

Thats losing before you've begun the game.

Agreed...though I'm not sold on Benjamin in the 1st. I'm a fan of his, and he has freak measureables, but he's still pretty raw. I wish he would stay in college 1 more year. We don't need projects right now, we need players who are polished enough to contribute from day 1.
    He's raw, but I still think he has enough to give some contribution. More than Hill I bet you that.

I'm a fan, and if we took him at 18 I wouldn't be mad manny.png

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Maclin & Sanders in FA

ASJ in the 2nd

There are tons of ways to express yourself here - would you mind choosing a different way going forward?

Quote Originally Posted by crasherino View Post
    There are tons of ways to express yourself here - would you mind choosing a different way going forward?
    Fair enough. My bad, that was kinda messed up

TBH, I'm starting to think more and more the Jets won't go WR/TE in the 1st. I just don't see anyone being there that they will have ranked that high. I think Watkins and Evans will be gone, possibly Lee too, and I think Ebron is gone by 18 as well (Giants could easily snag him).

If the choices are between like Amaro, Benjamin and say HaHa Clinton-Dix falls I think you would have to take Dix, at least I would.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Warfish View Post
    I'm sorry too, because IMO thats unacceptable.

No, actually. As a Fan, I am free to hold any opinion I wish, or hold standards as I see fit.

The not have a single All-Pro potential WR on the roster, given it's our biggest weakness, with this many picks and this much cap space is, IMO, unacceptable.

I expect a fill court effort to upgrade the weakest position on our team, with the best possible players.

I reject the idea that is all of FA and all of the draft, there is no way we can aquire a WR with the potential to be an All-Pro.

Thats losing before you've begun the game.
    I'm not here to tell you how to be a fan...but odds are that will be the case as far as having a WR of that caliber. You can only add what's available despite your want. Unless we trade up for Watkins or Megatron/AJ Green/Fitzgerald/Etc miraculously end up on the trade block, odds are there won't be WR on the roster next season with elite potential. Odds are not concrete so no I'm not losing before the game has begun. You can choose to see this how you like, I choose to take the realistic approach. With that being said there are two additional things:

1) That should not preclude us from having a serviceable offense next year. Hypothetically speaking if we add Maclin/Sanders and a WR with one of our first 4 picks that will go along way to building a sustainable offense. The next key to the puzzle being Geno's development.

2) There's always the chance to find a "diamond in the rough"

Quote Originally Posted by Franko097 View Post
    I'd be ok with the strategy of going the FA route on WR to reasonable contracts (Maclin, Tate and Sanders/Jones seem like ok targets here. Don't want to overpay Decker).

But beyond defense in the draft, I think they would be making a mistake by ignoring O-line.

Our OL is not nearly as bad as Jets fans think. Our skill players are the biggest issue on offense, we had the worst group of skill players in the NFL. I would draft OL in like round 2-4. I wouldn't use a 1st round pick on it, probably not even a 2nd, though it depends. We are locked in at LT and C. I think we should re-sign Austin Howard, hes a very solid RT who is 26. I'd re-sign Willie Colon to another 1 yr deal, he'll be cheap off of surgery. So then I would draft competition and depth/future starters in like round 3, since we'll have 2 3rd rounders.

I believe Brian Winters will be MUCH better in year 2. He flashed at the ability to move guys and open holes. He played OT in college, he needs to adjust and improve technique. I believe in him that he'll be a long term starter for us at LG.

Jeremy Maclin and Golden Tate are the 2 WRs I would want most. I would be happy with Sanders, hes fast and quick, but I would try to sign 2 FA WRs or sign a quality receiving TE like Finley to join the 1 WR we sign. So we have more flexibility in the draft. If we get 2 WRs I would target Ebron in round 1, give us a nice set of weapons.

On defense I like Michael Johnson as a pass rusher, I would check into him. Upgrade over Pace. Check into safety help, TJ Ward would be nice. Maybe CB help and steal Aqib Talib away from the Patriots to be our #1 CB with Milliner our #2.
    Last edited by k.Rhodes25; 02-07-2014 at 01:36 PM.

All Pro
    He's raw, but I still think he has enough to give some contribution. More than Hill I bet you that.

I'm a fan, and if we took him at 18 I wouldn't be mad manny.png
    I'm a fan of Benjamin as well so no I wouldn't be mad....but given the last project we drafted at WR I can't help but be weary...

Hall Of Fame
    I'm a fan of Benjamin as well so no I wouldn't be mad....but given the last project we drafted at WR I can't help but be weary...
    Don't let Hill's failures influence drafting other receivers. Benjamin is already a better receiver than Hill is right now. Benjamin is not a project, he just needs a little polishing, like most college receivers do. Clean up some route running and he could be a very dangerous weapon.

All Pro
    While neither of those signings would be considered a big splash let us all remember where we are at right now. Our wide receiving Corps basically Looks like this right now:

1) Jeremy Kerley
    2) David Nelson
    3) Greg Salas
    4) Stephen Hill

Kerley has been injured a bit and is only a Slot guy anyways, neither of the other guys can really be counted on as more than a fourth Receiver right now. I think both Maclin and Sanders would come cheap and with quite a bit to prove. In the end neither of them would prevent the Jets from going Receiver in the draft and we would also still have the TE Position to add a difference maker.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Don't let Hill's failures influence drafting other receivers. Benjamin is already a better receiver than Hill is right now. Benjamin is not a project, he just needs a little polishing, like most college receivers do. Clean up some route running and he could be a very dangerous weapon.
    Exactly. Benjamin is a natural athlete who moves fluidly, Hill can run fast and jump high but he is not able to use either of These things in a game.

All Pro

Signing Maclin & Sanders???

Maclin & Sanders in FA

ASJ in the 2nd

Give me Ebron (who skillet is gonna be nightmare for linebackers and safety's) over Benjamin who could be there in round 2 anyway .. I also like Allen Robinson from Penn State but there's good chance he could even be the 2nd Reciever off the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bjetsb View Post
    It doesn't matter how you feel about it. These aren't veteran free agents on their last legs. Maclin and Sanders are 25 and 26 respectively, it's replacing statistical jags with young playmakers who still have room to grow. Maclin could develop into a #1 receiver, there's a reason why he was a 1st round pick. Sanders is a santonio holmes clone coveted by the Patriots, so would be a nice 1, 2, punch and would allow the front office to go with the best player available in the draft (as Idzik has stated numerous occasions he would do).
    Makes sense to me.... Free Agents .. not long in tooth... with upside.... Maclin will be doing an incentive 1 year type deal... coming off ACL... wonder if a more high powered offensive will be more attractive since this will be a1 year showcase... Not as high on Sanders, but again young and fast... for the right price..

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Idzik pretty much treated last last year as though the draft was always about getting best available so there is no reason to think he'd change that mentality this season.
    I don't necessarily disagree with this but at some point you cannot let other teams dictate what you are doing.

Sticking to a strict - BPA process essentially means you're letting other teams make the pick for you. Need has to factor in.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Give me Ebron (who skillet is gonna be nightmare for linebackers and safety's) over Benjamin who could be there in round 2 anyway .. I also like Allen Robinson from Penn State but there's good chance he could even be the 2nd Reciever off the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think Benjamin will be there in the 2nd. I do however, think ASJ will be there and he's my favorite TE prospect.