Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Signing Maclin & Sanders???

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Maclin tore his acl in camp, no reason why he can't be fully ready to go this season. He's also not just a speed guy, Desean Jackson is a speed guy. Maclin is a much more complete wr and was really the best wr on the eagles during his time there. By all accounts he seems to be a good team guy as well. One player is not gonna solve our wr problems, it's going to take several players....better qb play will help too.
    Yep. Get a lot of solid options.

I would want Maclin over Sanders for sure. Then look at Jordan Matthews or Marquise Lee in the draft. That would be a pretty good receiving corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Led Halen View Post
    Maclin tore his acl in camp, no reason why he can't be fully ready to go this season. He's also not just a speed guy, Desean Jackson is a speed guy. Maclin is a much more complete wr and was really the best wr on the eagles during his time there. By all accounts he seems to be a good team guy as well. One player is not gonna solve our wr problems, it's going to take several players....better qb play will help too.
    He'll be ready to go, but you usually don't get back your full explosion until your second season back.

Maclin's ACL injury drastically hurts our chances of getting him. Yes he's said that he's willing to take a short term deal to prove himself and set himself up for a higher contract. But you think we're the only team that will take advantage of that? Reports have already surfaced that the Eagles will most likely let Riley Cooper walk and try to re-sign Maclin. If both Philly and NY offer the him the same 1-2 year "show me" deal, who do you think he chooses? I don't see anyway he chooses us over Philly. Only way we get him is if we outbid for him. And with Maclin coming off an ACL injury, that's just not going to happen.

He's staying in Philly

Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Maclin's ACL injury drastically hurts our chances of getting him. Yes he's said that he's willing to take a short term deal to prove himself and set himself up for a higher contract. But you think we're the only team that will take advantage of that? Reports have already surfaced that the Eagles will most likely let Riley Cooper walk and try to re-sign Maclin. If both Philly and NY offer the him the same 1-2 year "show me" deal, who do you think he chooses? I don't see anyway he chooses us over Philly. Only way we get him is if we outbid for him. And with Maclin coming off an ACL injury, that's just not going to happen.

He's staying in Philly
    Unless he doesn't

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post

That being said, i think the WR's did run good routes last year. I know Kerley does, and Santoni-HO did more often than not. Im not bashing Geno, it was his rookie year, so he gets leniency, but i truly feel if the Jets had a veteran QB last year with a decent skillset, they would have utilized the WR's more than Geno was able to. Again, not on Geno. Geno had some beautiful games with great numbers as well as some horrible outings. To me, that points in the direction of a rookie QB making far too many mistakes, rather than a WR unit
    Geno couldn't catch the ball as well for the WR's. while there is plenty of blame Geno gets as well for playing like the rookie he was ... outside of Kerley playing well, I can't remember seeing that many drops in a season before
    Last edited by lamont_jordan_rules; 02-09-2014 at 09:23 AM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detectivekimble View Post
    He'll be ready to go, but you usually don't get back your full explosion until your second season back.
    Adrian Peterson won a MVP after his.. And Revis was still graded out as a top 3 CB after his I would take my chances as ACL injuries aren't what they once where in today's world..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Scoop24 View Post
    Adrian Peterson won a MVP after his.. And Revis was still graded out as a top 3 CB after his I would take my chances as ACL injuries aren't what they once where in today's world..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Peterson is a rare exception. And Revis was still recovering this past season. The fact that he was still that good, at not 100%, should tell you how good he is. But that's another story.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    So when Geno had his 2-3 outstanding games this year, you must be implying that those wins/stats were Geno forcing the ball into his lackluster WR crew, and simply willing his way to 300+ yard passing games?

IMO, it works both ways. Yes, there is room for improvement with the WR unit, and there is also a lot of room for improvement for the QB throwing them the ball.

If you look at the INT's from this year, there were mistakes made by both Geno AND the WR's. The difference, imo, is Geno was much more to blame for those mistakes then the WR's were.
    With everyone healthy it was an NFL caliber receiving core. That happened two or three games this year. Holmes is gone. Nelson is a 3rd at best, and he wasn't until the end of the season. Geno played very well in every game Kerley started, and finished. If we get him a healthy replacement for Holmes (I like Tate. I'd also be happy with Cooper, but I want Tate, or Bolden first.), and Winslow we'll be okay if no one gets hurt. If we can improve the top 2 spots to above average. and improve the TE spot (I like Celek and I don't think the Eagles can pay him.)we can actually be dangerous. With our defense that would make our team instant contenders. Who doesn't want that.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    Geno couldn't catch the ball as well for the WR's. while there is plenty of blame Geno gets as well for playing like the rookie he was ... outside of Kerley playing well, I can't remember seeing that many drops in a season before
    There were a lot of drops, but more of not getting open. Not running crisp routes, or not running the right routes. The DBs ran better routes than most of our receivers. You could see Geno holding the ball too long. The last 4 games he was throwing the ball before the receivers made their cuts. In fact it seemed like he did that every game Kerley was in. Maybe it's just a comfort level. Maybe Kerley in the middle changed the way they covered the outside receivers, but he made a huge difference. Having real professionals on the outside will make a world of difference.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by NY's stepchild View Post
    There were a lot of drops, but more of not getting open. Not running crisp routes, or not running the right routes. The DBs ran better routes than most of our receivers. You could see Geno holding the ball too long. The last 4 games he was throwing the ball before the receivers made their cuts. In fact it seemed like he did that every game Kerley was in. Maybe it's just a comfort level. Maybe Kerley in the middle changed the way they covered the outside receivers, but he made a huge difference. Having real professionals on the outside will make a world of difference.
    well said and very accurate!

Great. Another short receiver out of Pittsburgh who can't stay healthy. Get him!

Can we please get some guys that can be counted on? Receivers that might not be flashy but...reliable? I rather have him catch 100 balls for 900 yards instead of 50 balls for 1000 yards. Marshall, Boldin, those guys...