Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cassell is a FA

Veteran

Cassell is a FA

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-his-contract/

Vikings quarterback Matt Cassel had until Friday to opt out of the second year of the two-year deal he signed in Minnesota last year. He opted not to push his decision to the deadline.

Per a league source, Cassel already has exercised his right to extinguish the final season of the contract.

And so, instead of making $3.7 million in Minnesota next year, the former Chiefs starter will become a free agent on March 11. It remains to be seen whether another team will give him a chance to compete for the starting job, or whether he’ll join a new franchise as the backup.

Cassel appeared in nine games last year, with six starts. He won three and lost three, but Cassel had key roles in the team’s only two other victories of the season, coming off the bench to engineer wins over Washington and Chicago.

The lingering New England connection could lure Cassel to Houston and former Pats assistant Bill O’Brien. With the Texans, Cassel could be paired with a first-round draft pick, mentoring the youngster and possibly playing until the rookie is ready.

Cassel also could end up being the backup to Matt Ryan in Atlanta, where the man who brought him to Kansas City (Scott Pioli) is now the assistant G.M.

Then there’s Tampa, where new defensive coordinator (and former Vikings coach) Leslie Frazier could vouch for Cassel to coach Lovie Smith and offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford, neither of whom seem to be sold on Mike Glennon.

It’s also possible that Cassel returns to Minnesota with a contract that better reflects his potential role as a starter. But with the Vikings having a new coach and a new offensive coordinator, a second season becomes less likely.

The move leaves the Vikings with only one quarterback under contract for 2014: Christian Ponder. Which means that the Vikings will be adding multiple quarterbacks over the next three months.

All Pro
    Pass

Veteran
    For $4 Million, I do this and don't think twice.

no thanks. Schaub should be the target.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    no thanks. Schaub should be the target.
    Why? We know Schaub sucks. He's always been a weak armed, warm weather loving game manager. The guy set an NFL record for interceptions in the first quarter of the season last year. We know Cassel has something in there that came out in New England. The price is right, it's an instant upgrade than what we've got now.

EDIT
    And it gives Geno a chance to sit back with some experience under his belt and just learn being a pro QB.

Quote Originally Posted by BleedGreen314 View Post
    Why? We know Schaub sucks. He's always been a weak armed, warm weather loving game manager. The guy set an NFL record for interceptions in the first quarter of the season last year. We know Cassel has something in there that came out in New England. The price is right, it's an instant upgrade than what we've got now.
    You both are crazy. Both Matts are terrible.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post
    You both are crazy. Both Matts are terrible.

Ya great point..

The point

Your head

EDIT
    And it gives Geno a chance to sit back with some experience under his belt and just learn being a pro QB.
    Sit back? What you played Geno all season and now you want him to sit? I don't get you.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH_1962 View Post
    Sit back? What you played Geno all season and now you want him to sit? I don't get you.
    I forgot that Geno earned his position and that Mark didn't get a season ending injury in the Snoopy Bowl.

No dice. Would rather keep Sanchez than bring in Cassel. Need to draft a QB and keep Geno on the hot seat. He played decent once his job was in jeopardy. (Very similar to Folk)

You draft a mcCarron, metteberger, murray, grappolo type--that will light a fire. Not matt cassell

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmiekid91 View Post
    No dice. Would rather keep Sanchez than bring in Cassel. Need to draft a QB and keep Geno on the hot seat. He played decent once his job was in jeopardy. (Very similar to Folk)

You draft a mcCarron, metteberger, murray, grappolo type--that will light a fire. Not matt cassell
    How does that logic fit? You have a bona fide starter come in and directly challenge Geno. At best case, Geno beats him out (doubtful). At worst case, you spin it to Geno and say look we have a veteran here whom is going to serve as a mentor. He has a big arm like you, 10 years under the belt and a 60+ completion percentage. That's inherently better than Mark Sanchez. Watch and learn, and get ready to take over.

That type of accuracy is the minimum you need for a West Coast offense.
    Last edited by BleedGreen314; 02-07-2014 at 04:28 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    How does that logic fit? You have a bona fide starter come in and directly challenge Geno. At best case, Geno beats him out (doubtful). At worst case, you spin it to Geno and say look we have a veteran here whom is going to serve as a mentor. He has a big arm like you, 10 years under the belt and a 60+ completion percentage. That's inherently better than Mark Sanchez. Watch and learn, and get ready to take over.

How is Cassel a "bona fide starter"?? And Cassel does not have a big arm. This is simply lunacy to even consider what you are proposing.

I'm sorry. I may be new to the boards but no--Cassel is far from a "Bonafide starter" as you have claimed. He was benched for on the Chiefs, and besides the last 3 games, was a non entity for the vikings. I am not quite sure why you would throw completion percentage at me, when Geno has never been the most accurate QB. For the record, I rather not have Sanchez nor Cassell. I just don't believe Geno is the QB that will take the Jets to the next level--whether being a star or a manager. I believe this is a deep QB draft and I think a 3rd round pick of McCarrn or Mettenberger is whats needed. I also believe that Geno played better once he used his feet. Unfortunetly, defenses will now gameplan for this--and I believe drop-back Qb's are what is needed for this team.

EDIT
    Schuab hasn't always sucked. At one point he was known as a gunslinger. The Texans O in recent seasons focused more on the run and his numbers came down. Still I agree that he sucked this season for some reason. Still he is just 32 and if he can revert back to 2012 form he would be a solid addition as a starter and mentor to Geno. Cassell on the other hand has never been good and has an arm that makes post surgery Pennington look like Elway. I remember Cassell in NE and he seemed ok but he has been awful since.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefst2000 View Post
    Schuab hasn't always sucked. At one point he was known as a gunslinger. The Texans O in recent seasons focused more on the run and his numbers came down. Still I agree that he sucked this season for some reason. Still he is just 32 and if he can revert back to 2012 form he would be a solid addition as a starter and mentor to Geno. Cassell on the other hand has never been good and has an arm that makes post surgery Pennington look like Elway. I remember Cassell in NE and he seemed ok but he has been awful since.
    I'm sorry, but he was hurt--A LOT!! TJ Yates played his playoff games. Schaub is somewhat overrated. Don't get me wrong if the Jets bring him in to tutor Geno, I will be happy. I just don't feel the Jet QB to lead them deep is on the roster as of Feb 7. If Geno is that, I will eat crow. But inappropriate pictures, "thrown off" a plane---don't look good. I don't understand fellow Jet fans when we feel that the future QB is on the roster, or a re-tread will work. Not attacking, just wonder what happened. I blame Obama

Jets Insider VIP
    He was on a team with numerous probowl candidates in KC and ended with two wins. PASS.

As a backup QB, I would prefer him to Schaub because I think Cassel is smarter.

Just keep Sanchez.

Practice Squad
    Sanchez and Schaub are both better than Cassel. I'd take Vick before him too.

Quote Originally Posted by white lightning View Post
    Sanchez and Schaub are both better than Cassel. I'd take Vick before him too.
    Sanchez is not better them Cassell. Cassell had one horrid year Mark has had 4. Mark is just younger and hopes to one day be even that good.