Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deep WR draft

Deep WR draft

Who will we hope to cull off the FA list (especially at WR), don't want to see anymore developmental drafts like S. Hill

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Who will we hope to cull off the FA list (especially at WR), don't want to see anymore developmental drafts like S. Hill
    Most likely Maclin I would think. If not, perhaps Tate although that seems highly unlikely coming off a SB win. Miles Austin is out there too but he's getting up there in age.

In the perfect world? Decker. Realistically? Emmanuel Sanders or Nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by AirStrike View Post
    In the perfect world? Decker. Realistically? Emmanuel Sanders or Nicks.
    What's perfect about Decker? System WR who you'd be buying at his absolute highest (overbought) value. Lacks the talent to be a true #1. Pass, unless he comes cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Undrafted Free Agent
    I think Decker is going to cost too much for a #2 receiver and like most I don't see anything that is special enough to warrant a large spend on him. Anyway list below in no order.

Maclin, James Jones

possibly Tate, Damian Williams, Eric Decker

Bolden would be good for a year or 2

on the cheap with risk.... Britt and if Seattle releases Sidney Rice - these are 2 young guys that won't command much as far as guaranteed money

We have a need for speed.

Have to get a WR who can stretch the field. That will make Kerley/Nelson or whomever more effective. Help the RB's as well.

Draft won't necessarily help next year. Takes WR's a year or more. Not always, but too often.

Who we bring in as a FA WR and TE will probably determine our success in improving the passing game for the year. Be smart John

Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    What's perfect about Decker? System WR who you'd be buying at his absolute highest (overbought) value. Lacks the talent to be a true #1. Pass, unless he comes cheap.
    Yeah, you're right. 87 catches, 1200 yards, 14.8 ypc and 11 touchdowns lacks talent. The guy doesn't have to run routes or catch balls or anything. Manning runs the routes and catches the ball for him

Guy caught 8 touchdowns and averaged 13.9 ypc, 1 more ypc than his first year with Peyton, with Tebow. Yep, "system WR", that Tebow system sure is receiver friendly!

Wiuthout Peyton

Decker will look very plain and grossly over-priced

Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Decker will look very plain and grossly over-priced
    Didn't look plain with Tebow throwing him the football. Sure as hell won't look plain with Geno throwing him the football. I deal with stats, some people deal with blind opinions(like Astoria.) In the end, stats win every single time.

This isn't like all my other get rich quick schemes. I just know I'm gonna get rich with this one. And quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want a redzone target. We have enough speed guys. Draft FA I dont really care anymore. Replace Holmes, get 2-3 TEs, and a RB that can block and catch at all costs.

Decker definitely isn't a system WR, but I wouldn't cry if we didn't get him.

All Pro
    why did you call this thread deep WR draft?

All Pro
    Didn't look plain with Tebow throwing him the football. Sure as hell won't look plain with Geno throwing him the football. I deal with stats, some people deal with blind opinions(like Astoria.) In the end, stats win every single time.
    Oh give it up. We're not overpaying for Decker. Forget about it.

This team could stand to add Maclin/Tate/Sanders though to fill that #2 spot. I anticipate us going for a #1 scale talent in the draft.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Oh give it up. We're not overpaying for Decker. Forget about it.

This team could stand to add Maclin/Tate/Sanders though to fill that #2 spot. I anticipate us going for a #1 scale talent in the draft.
    Yeah, that signing wouldnt follow the Idzik logic. I sa y Maclin and then add at least 2 in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by Starkjet24 View Post
    I think Decker is going to cost too much for a #2 receiver and like most I don't see anything that is special enough to warrant a large spend on him. Anyway list below in no order.

Maclin, James Jones

possibly Tate, Damian Williams, Eric Decker

Bolden would be good for a year or 2

on the cheap with risk.... Britt and if Seattle releases Sidney Rice - these are 2 young guys that won't command much as far as guaranteed money
    Maclin & Jones would be all we need of vets, than draft a WR, and get a RB like Tre Mason.
    That would still leave 9-10 draft picks left to go BPA. We have one area of the team already filled, Dline.
    Every other part of this team can use upgrades, Oline, LBs, CBs, Safeties, TEs.

All League
    Charter JI Member

I don't think there are any true #1 WRs in this FA crop (maybe Maclin is the closest), but there are potential #1 WRs in the rookie class. The plan should be to pick up a Vet free agent as a #2 and try and get one of those possible #1s early in the draft.

You don't pick up someone else's #2 WR, pay him #1 money and hope that he becomes your #1.

Once a #2 always a #2.

I can't think of a single #2 WR for one team, that signed as a FA to become the #1 for another and met those expectations. If someone can find an example, please refresh my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJet View Post
    I don't think there are any true #1 WRs in this FA crop (maybe Maclin is the closest), but there are potential #1 WRs in the rookie class. The plan should be to pick up a Vet free agent as a #2 and try and get one of those possible #1s early in the draft.

You don't pick up someone else's #2 WR, pay him #1 money and hope that he becomes your #1.

Once a #2 always a #2.

I can't think of a single #2 WR for one team, that signed as a FA to become the #1 for another and met those expectations. If someone can find an example, please refresh my memory.
    Agreed 100%.

Hall Of Fame

Once a #2 always a #2.

Good points. Plus signing a FA receiver is riskier than signing other positions. There are more variables in play for a receiver to be successful than say a safety.

Once a #2 always a #2.

I think Pierre Garcon sort of fits, although the Redskins really lacked options so they seemed to force feed him the ball. But Garcon with Manning in Indy was the No. 2 to Wayne with Collie being the No. 3 in 2011.

I wouldn't mind Decker, but it's relative to what the price for others are, instead of what the price for him alone costs us, IMO. IF we can get Maclin cheap, then yes, but considering the interest we're showing in him, I have a feeling he's not going to be all that cheap (especially considering the ACL recoveries lately showing that it may not be as big of a concern as it was in the past). While I like Jones to an extent, wouldn't he be a cheaper and more unstable version of Decker himself because he comes from a high octane offense where they have to focus on other playmakers as well, so he would have the same questions.

While I like the idea of going cheap, anyone cheap is going to carry a considerable amount of risk as well and I'm not sure if we can afford to take that risk. Next year is going to be a big year for evaluating our QB (especially since his contract is up after 4 years instead of 5 for a first round pick) so I would like to pay up a bit more and surround him with atleast one reliable outside WR even if it means overpaying more than what I'd like. I think in the overall scheme, we need that reliable guy, so I would pay money for Decker/Maclin/Tate, and then fill in with draft picks that can be on the field with these guys. Maclin obviously would be the median between upside and cost effectiveness but I have a feeling he's resigning with Philly because they have an explosive offense that should help him put up some really good numbers and make him money next year.